maarset is offline Find More Posts by maarset
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2008, 02:26 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Oct 2007
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset
Seems the only way to get the M-24's to work is go up to a 11t or 12t.
It really depends on the kv of the motor you are running.

Quote:
This really gets the head speed up there! And of course it really cuts down
on flight time. And since I am still learning FF and getting comfortable with nose in
I really need the long flight times. I'm using the HDX 300 motor with a 10T pinion and a
1000mah Ge Force 3s lipo. With this set up and the M-24's I'm hovering at almost WOT. And
that FP head is really spinning like MAD! Can these plastic heads really handle this?
My setup is

Compy BD Deluxe kit
AKE 300SH motor with fan
12T trex pinion
Zeta-Plus Extreme 1300 Lipo
Hobbywing 10A ESC
M24 plastic blades
3xFutaba S3154 servos
Logictech 2100T gyro

I get 10 min flights and drain about 80% of the battery.
I was getting 11 mins with Compy wooden blades.

I wouldn't say that Compy handles 10 mph very well (at least in my hands, I'm still not very experienced).
I think you can maintain a stable flight with effort, but any gusting really affects it. After flying my Mini Titan, Compy feels tons twitchier, but light years
better than Walkera 4#3 I learned to hover with!

Quote:
With the wood blades or the GWS stock FP blades trimmed I am getting around 8 to 9 minutes flight times.

What type of flight times are people getting with the M-24 blades? What is your setup?

One guy here
told me he was using a modified 12T from a trex and it handles outside windy days really well.
I got the Trex pinions from 9T to 11t.
Note that trex pinions are for 3.17mm shafts and smaller compy-able motors usually have 2.3mm shafts. I used a trex pinion because I couldn't find a 12T 2.3mm pinion and had trex one sitting around.

Best, Anton.
Shogo is offline Find More Posts by Shogo
Last edited by Shogo; May 27, 2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old May 27, 2008, 02:47 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,365 Posts
I'm using the
HDX300 Brushless Outrunner 3800KV BL.
The Trex pinions I got were for 3.2 mm motor shafts.

I guess I could use a motor caculator to figure out what pinion I need right?
Old May 27, 2008, 02:56 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Oct 2007
195 Posts
Quote:
I'm using the
HDX300 Brushless Outrunner 3800KV BL.
The Trex pinions I got were for 3.2 mm motor shafts.

I guess I could use a motor caculator to figure out what pinion I need right?
I'm not sure whether there is a simple way to do this because the blades are also a factor. You can calculate the pinion size to achieve a certain head rpm, but for an FP that is not very useful because the pitch of the blades, the length of the blades and the weight of the heli all affect the head speed needed to maintain a hover.

AKE 300 motor I'm running is 3200 kv, so you are most likely ok with 11T or even 10T pinion on 3800 kv motor. I'd say put a 10T on it, fly it around and see whether you want a bigger pinion.
Last edited by Shogo; May 27, 2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old May 27, 2008, 03:13 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,365 Posts
Thanks Shogo

I did get the compy off the ground with the 10T and the M-24 blades. But I got spooked by the head speed. I'll try the 10T again tonight. First I am going to paint all my FP head parts orange in case I throw something. heh
Old May 27, 2008, 04:22 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Oct 2007
195 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Shogo

I did get the compy off the ground with the 10T and the M-24 blades. But I got spooked by the head speed. I'll try the 10T again tonight. First I am going to paint all my FP head parts orange in case I throw something. heh
yeah, the head sounds high, but it can handle it. After Mini T Compy really feels like a toy. I can see now why people want to progress into bigger helis, I guess Trex 600 electric will be my next one.
Old May 27, 2008, 05:10 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Dec 2007
1,028 Posts
aero-fever

Has anyone been able to get in touch with Albert lately? I've been trying to contact him regarding a missing order for a week but haven't had any luck. Does he hang out here at all? Maybe I should try calling.

TIA
fretman is online now Find More Posts by fretman
Old May 27, 2008, 05:26 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109
Dave, what pinion size are you using with that HDX300-3800kv? I'm eyeing that motor since I see some people talking about it. Once I get my Compy flying FFF in this Texas heat I'll determine if I need a motor that will run cooler on back to back battery packs.

Shogo, I don't have a fan on my motor but the top of the housing seems like it would "scoop" air out as it turns. Its not blowing like a fan but seems to be moving air. I've only flown for 2 min max with the gusting wind over the weekend and the motor was only slightly warm. Is there a brand you use for "aftermarket" motor fans? Right now I'm concern about the 15A ESC getting too warm...hopefully getting a smaller pinion will help with that. I'll wrestle with that glued in pinion tonight. I've heard of pinion pullers breaking so didn't want to blow $15 on that tool. I'll do the needle nose plier thing and see how it goes.
Dude,
Sorry for the slow reply....been putting an Extra Stiffy together I'm using a revco 9T from Readyheli. Excellent pinion...no signs of wear n tear on michroheli main gear Shouldn't have to worry bout the heat ! I'm using DonsRC 18A esc...no problems from heat there either.

-Dave
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Last edited by Lonelasso; May 27, 2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old May 27, 2008, 05:33 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,365 Posts
Are you using that pnion for your M-24's too Dave?
Old May 27, 2008, 07:24 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fretman
Has anyone been able to get in touch with Albert lately? I've been trying to contact him regarding a missing order for a week but haven't had any luck. Does he hang out here at all? Maybe I should try calling.

TIA
i got a package from him last week...

China is going through some bad times lately, with the cyclone and now a major earthquake. don't know where he is compared to what is going on there
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old May 27, 2008, 07:26 PM
It's all up from here..
Prince Rupert, Canada
Joined Aug 2007
2,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fretman

TIA
I have just sent him a note about missing part of the CNC Belt Pulley.....one of the flanges was missing when I took the Main Gear apart to align it per KCinNC's suggestion (Good one KC.....thnks!!).....doubt that I can use it without the flange.....but then, I am waiting for servos so I can finish the frame.....

Cuzn
CuznWeakEyes is offline Find More Posts by CuznWeakEyes
Old May 27, 2008, 07:40 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Are you using that pnion for your M-24's too Dave?
Yep Headspeed takes a big leap too...probably 300-400 rpm.
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old May 27, 2008, 08:38 PM
US Navy AT2 1987-1995
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2008
1,329 Posts
well it flys!
the pinion was all the noise and racket.

now to dial in Gyro =/
I hate this part but hey it hovers and actually runs!

The only problem I'm having is wire routing and management.. I don't see how to get the wires together and out of the way!

anyone got some really good pics of their wiring jobs?
USNAviationjay is offline Find More Posts by USNAviationjay
Old May 27, 2008, 09:21 PM
pro bro 2465
Jones OK
Joined Apr 2005
376 Posts
here is mine not the cleanest but it works. Now if I could get that shipment of parts to get her back in the air punched the throt. and whole head flew off and bent a main shaft in the crash
okie larry is offline Find More Posts by okie larry
Old May 27, 2008, 09:24 PM
US Navy AT2 1987-1995
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2008
1,329 Posts
Thanks larry that gives me some ideas.

I gotta ask though.. How do y'all all pig tail that tail servo wire like that?
ive seen that alot and i cant figure out how y'all are doing it.
USNAviationjay is offline Find More Posts by USNAviationjay