HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:59 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2006
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke
That would be a 3week delivery time here in the US.. but thankfully you can buy the blades in the US.
I don't crash like I used to.. so 1 pair lasts me these days though..

Would this American supplier be able to ship over the pond to the UK, in a manner thats not too expensive? Nudge nudge wink wink
budgetbus is offline Find More Posts by budgetbus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:11 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
know what I mean, know what I mean.

Well.. he could but your in a better position to buy from that other place.
I assume your time to get the items would be about the same from both places..
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:45 PM
Fremont, CA
Joined Jul 2007
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt74
Here's a little video I made of the Compy FP in my living room:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...19#post9008059

It flies awesome!!
Very nice, kt74.

Here's mine flying in my garage (poor pic quality). After several mishaps with BL motors, finally, it's in the air. I'll post some pictures and spec of the new bird tonight. Enjoy.

ps. Thanks Jon for the help on using the HBFP main gear. It works perfectly.

Compy FP flying in garage (2 min 55 sec)
whto is offline Find More Posts by whto
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:50 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2006
166 Posts
Quote:
know what I mean, know what I mean.

Well.. he could but your in a better position to buy from that other place.
I assume your time to get the items would be about the same from both places..

say no more
Old Jan 25, 2008, 01:00 PM
The Great Santini
Madison, NJ 07940
Joined Dec 2004
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt74
The only real issue I have with the Compy is that the right piro is really very weak. I had to drop my right rudder servo throw to 50% or else the servo would buzz. I just took it outside for a quick flight and the right piro is more like a slow turn. I guess I should try to find a tail shaft with less teeth.
Looks real sweet!

BTW, I compared the spin-down time relative to two arc 130s I have on DD tail set ups and mine take about 5 seconds I'd say, compared to yours 2-3 secs I estimate; therefore your tail (assuming pinion is not overtight!) is impacting that noticably IMO.

Curious, how hot does the motor get and do you use a heat sink?

Have you tried some silicone shock oil on the belt to see if that helps? It might ease some belt tension.

Lastly, on the right piro / deflections does it make sense to go with a diff servo horn to try to get max deflection (if I understand your current set up?)

I was wondering also if it makes sense to try diff tail blades. Not sure if these are too large or not but might be more fruitful than trying to get a new tail shaft w fewer teeth?? I have yellow on one of my trexes. They are pretty good from what I can tell, and they indeed add to visibility.

http://www.kbdreamdesigns.com/

Love that ARC 130. From what I can tell from your movie, you could have a rocket on your hands. I suppose you could take it down a tooth or two to extend flight time and/or ease up on the motor? Im guessing too you could handle larger lipos with ease. How are punchouts? Nuts?
Santini is offline Find More Posts by Santini
Old Jan 25, 2008, 01:17 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2006
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetbus
Very cool

what spec is the machine

looks VERY stable in that 12 inch of the floor zone.....My HB is very effected by the turbulence

BTW i do apologize about asking the spec...you clearly already posted the details with the vid....im such a 'tard
Old Jan 25, 2008, 01:22 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,523 Posts
nice vid , whto

we have the same garage door !!! or during the winter i call mine the heli magnet

is the ESKY 3800kv motor usable on the compy ? would save me from buying another motor
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Jan 25, 2008, 01:46 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini
Lastly, on the right piro / deflections does it make sense to go with a diff servo horn to try to get max deflection (if I understand your current set up?)
The deflection is limited by the pitch slider, not the servo horn. Short of playing with the length of the tail pitch links I don't know how this could be fixed.

I'm using an Esky 3100 on my Compy with the supplied 9T pinion, and it seems fine (doesn't get hot, 10 minute flight time on 1250mA 3S.) The 3800 might be a little overpowered but it might be OK.
ccdengr is offline Find More Posts by ccdengr
Old Jan 25, 2008, 01:53 PM
Fremont, CA
Joined Jul 2007
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC
we have the same garage door !!! or during the winter i call mine the heli magnet
Thanks. Same here. Lot's of "scars" on the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC
is the ESKY 3800kv motor usable on the compy ? would save me from buying another motor
As ccdengr says, the 3800kv might be a bit too strong.

I'm running ARC 130, as kt74 has, together with with 8T pinion and 1000mA 2S. Filight time is about 9-10min. The motor get a bit hot with heat sink, but it's still cooler that the Slo-max on my HBFP.

- Thomas -
whto is offline Find More Posts by whto
Old Jan 25, 2008, 01:54 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetbus
say no more
Right.
How about a parrot? It's very NiceA!
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Jan 25, 2008, 01:56 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2006
166 Posts
Quote:
Right.
How about a parrot? It's very NiceA!

LOL
Old Jan 25, 2008, 02:39 PM
The Great Santini
Madison, NJ 07940
Joined Dec 2004
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdengr
The deflection is limited by the pitch slider, not the servo horn. Short of playing with the length of the tail pitch links I don't know how this could be fixed.

I'm using an Esky 3100 on my Compy with the supplied 9T pinion, and it seems fine (doesn't get hot, 10 minute flight time on 1250mA 3S.) The 3800 might be a little overpowered but it might be OK.
It seems, maybe I misinterpret, that kt74 has the servo thro at 50% therefore I was assuming perhaps he wasnt getting max deflection (so as not to get servo buzzing).. On the pinon issue, I was thinking that on an ARC130, if you are lifting off at 40% thrott with that motor, that indicates typically you should go down a tooth or two, which has some other benefits, if you get my drift. With flatbottoms and a 130, on my dragonflys, I was lifting at about 40%, so I dropped two teeth making it more controllable and less strain on motor -- thus my questions. It all a balancing act as Im sure you know. I love to see a nice FP machine. I really like what I see..
Old Jan 25, 2008, 03:02 PM
It's a heli valotta fun!
Joined Apr 2007
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Looks real sweet!

BTW, I compared the spin-down time relative to two arc 130s I have on DD tail set ups and mine take about 5 seconds I'd say, compared to yours 2-3 secs I estimate; therefore your tail (assuming pinion is not overtight!) is impacting that noticably IMO.

Curious, how hot does the motor get and do you use a heat sink?

Have you tried some silicone shock oil on the belt to see if that helps? It might ease some belt tension.

I was wondering also if it makes sense to try diff tail blades. Not sure if these are too large or not but might be more fruitful than trying to get a new tail shaft w fewer teeth?? I have yellow on one of my trexes. They are pretty good from what I can tell, and they indeed add to visibility.

http://www.kbdreamdesigns.com/

Love that ARC 130. From what I can tell from your movie, you could have a rocket on your hands. I suppose you could take it down a tooth or two to extend flight time and/or ease up on the motor? Im guessing too you could handle larger lipos with ease. How are punchouts? Nuts?
Yeah, my belt is a little too tight. I haven't tried any silicone spray or anything on it yet. I am using a heatsink on my -130. After hovering for about 10 mins its almost too hot to hold. How about your -130... does it get hot too? But I still haven't even gotten close to using up 80% of my 1300mAh LiPo's.
I put my Belt-CP tail blades on the Compy to see if they would make a difference. That's what you saw in the video. The tail holds really solid in flight and during punchouts. But the CW piro rate is just slow. The motor is really powerful and I don't think I've even hit half-stick with it yet.
kt74 is offline Find More Posts by kt74
Old Jan 25, 2008, 03:35 PM
The Great Santini
Madison, NJ 07940
Joined Dec 2004
1,922 Posts
Well if your motor is really hot like that, you may want to change the set up some. (how is the batt, hot?)

Mine (Motor and batt) is cool to warm usually, but not HOT. If you drop a pinion tooth or two, each turn of the motor shaft will intersect fewer main gear teeth. You would thus be going to a higher gear ratio, which means more torque (thrott control), and less headspeed (which you dont need), and thats easier on the motor and batt -- if these are the blades you'll use.

With a belt tail, you want Im guessing to get good tail performance so I would work on that. Its not going to be like a trex, but just the same, i"d want better than motor driven. (The piro rate on my trexes is insane -- its spins round in a split second). Im just curious if your tail slider getting max deflection on the slider or not, Im not clear on that.
Again, looks like its going to be really terrific.
Last edited by Santini; Jan 25, 2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 05:04 PM
It's a heli valotta fun!
Joined Apr 2007
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Well if your motor is really hot like that, you may want to change the set up some. (how is the batt, hot?)

Mine (Motor and batt) is cool to warm usually, but not HOT. If you drop a pinion tooth or two, each turn of the motor shaft will intersect fewer main gear teeth. You would thus be going to a higher gear ratio, which means more torque (thrott control), and less headspeed (which you dont need), and thats easier on the motor and batt -- if these are the blades you'll use.

With a belt tail, you want Im guessing to get good tail performance so I would work on that. Its not going to be like a trex, but just the same, i"d want better than motor driven. (The piro rate on my trexes is insane -- its spins round in a split second). Im just curious if your tail slider getting max deflection on the slider or not, Im not clear on that.
Again, looks like its going to be really terrific.
The battery isn't any hotter after the flight than it was before. It's a 20C pack so it can handle the motor no problem. I'm using an 8T pinion which should already be helping the motor out a bunch.
I am getting full deflection on tail slider... so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I have the 0704A HH gyro that I think I should try on the Compy. Maybe the rate gyro is having issues. I don't think so though because it did fine on my Belt-CP.
Other than the piro rate it flies really well. I think if I had to live with the piro rate I would still love the heck outta this little bird!
kt74 is offline Find More Posts by kt74