HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2008, 05:49 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC
the only time mine ever "bobbed" was when i tried running one of the Loong max 1300 batteries...it would bounce on the long unsupported battery tray, which caused the Heli to kinda bob....i use the CSRC 1200...steady as can be
Earlier in this thread you guys were trying to help me with my bobbing issue with my Compy. Using a 800mah 3s with a HDX300 and the stock wooden blades with a head stiffener and metal fly bar cage. The bird would become uncontrollable in it's bobbing and I would have to land right away. But it didn't do it with trimmed esky FP blades. Well I threw a tail blade the other day so I took the head and blades (wooden compy) off the compy and put them on my HBFP. Flew perfectly. No bobbing what so ever. (Weird!)

So if that setup ran great on the HBFP and ran horrible (bobbing) on the compy then it must be some issue with the Compy power train. Maybe I am not adjusting the belt properly? Maybe my tail blades were out of balance?

I'm thinking maybe there is a relation here with the compy bobbing and then having one of the blades fly off....

Could it be that one of my tail blade grips was loosening up causing the tail to be out of balance causing the bobbing?

I won't know till I get my TREX 450 tail in.

Oh and I got my M-24 blades in. Compared to the woodies they are INSANE! Tried them on my HBFP with a 3s and a 9t pinion. I was close to WOT just to hover. Head speed was insanely fast. And if I put these on the Compy they would spin even faster cause the Compy weights more.
maarset is online now Find More Posts by maarset
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2008, 05:57 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,365 Posts
Oh and I just thought to check the main shaft since the head was off the Compy.
It is not straight. It's not off by much but it is definitely bent.

Can I use a HBFP main shaft? My Compy rotor head sits too high which makes the linkage move out of the anti-twisting bar behind the head.
It would also be cool to use a different main Gear that the motor turns. Mine is still a little warped. So what is the hot setup I can get for the Main Gear and Main Shaft?
It is still going to need a pulley for the tail.

Mike
Old Apr 26, 2008, 08:14 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset
Maybe my tail blades were out of balance?

I'm thinking maybe there is a relation here with the compy bobbing and then having one of the blades fly off....

Could it be that one of my tail blade grips was loosening up causing the tail to be out of balance causing the bobbing?
You may be on to something there. I've had the screw that goes through the grip into the hub back out partway, ane that would definitely throw the tail balance off. Seems like it would be a high frequency jitter instead of a "bob", but it may be hitting a resonant frequency with the main rotor that causes a larger oscillation.

Throw that HBFP shaft and gear on there! You'll need to trim the swash rotation bracket and get new/shorten current cyclic pushrod links.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:33 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Oct 2007
195 Posts
Nice things about woodies is that there is no flex when they are at the high speed making a heli much more stable. Do M24 plastic plades flex much? How do they compare to woodies?
Shogo is offline Find More Posts by Shogo
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:52 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,481 Posts
ahh, i ordered me a 2nd CompyFP today, been getting a little OT at work, so why not.
i think i'm going to extreme this one out a little more...you know "Balls to the Wall"

i hate to hear others having problems with their CFP..when you do get the bugs out of it....it'll be a blast to fly !!!!

mine flies so awesome....had to get another !
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Apr 27, 2008, 12:42 AM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Oct 2007
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC
mine flies so awesome....had to get another !
KCiNC, can you post your Compy list of components?
Shogo is offline Find More Posts by Shogo
Old Apr 28, 2008, 01:04 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset
Oh and I just thought to check the main shaft since the head was off the Compy.
It is not straight. It's not off by much but it is definitely bent.

Can I use a HBFP main shaft? My Compy rotor head sits too high which makes the linkage move out of the anti-twisting bar behind the head.
It would also be cool to use a different main Gear that the motor turns. Mine is still a little warped. So what is the hot setup I can get for the Main Gear and Main Shaft?
It is still going to need a pulley for the tail.

Mike
Unfortunately the hbfp main shaft is too short. Compy's original is a little too long. Best thing to do is just make your own linkages. If you have z bend pliers just make em out of some paper clips and superglue or hotglue it onto the ball link and you'll be good to go.
mckolit is offline Find More Posts by mckolit
Old Apr 28, 2008, 02:00 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,365 Posts
Are you talking about the Linkage between the flybar cage and the swash plate?
Old Apr 28, 2008, 03:38 PM
It's a heli valotta fun!
Joined Apr 2007
1,413 Posts
[QUOTE=KCinNC]i hate to hear others having problems with their CFP..when you do get the bugs out of it....it'll be a blast to fly !!!!

mine flies so awesome....QUOTE]
I'm with you on that one! There was a break in the wind yesterday evening and I took the old Compy out. What an awesome little bird. I will say that I almost had an incident because I've been messing around inside with my Lama V3. I need to put some silicone lube on the tail pitch slider because it's binding slightly.
kt74 is offline Find More Posts by kt74
Old Apr 28, 2008, 09:11 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
975 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm just at the hovering stage with my HBFP and am needing to do a complete rebuild or replacement. I'm not tearing it up every time I'm out so here's my delema. Do I do a rebuild/repair on my HBFP or do I spring for the Compy? Is the tail as sturdy on the Compy as it is on the HBFP? I have all of the electronics to do the Compy so price really isn't an issue but durability is. Opinions?

Thanks.
Tag1260 is offline Find More Posts by Tag1260
Old Apr 28, 2008, 09:16 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag1260
Hey guys,

I'm just at the hovering stage with my HBFP and am needing to do a complete rebuild or replacement. I'm not tearing it up every time I'm out so here's my delema. Do I do a rebuild/repair on my HBFP or do I spring for the Compy? Is the tail as sturdy on the Compy as it is on the HBFP? I have all of the electronics to do the Compy so price really isn't an issue but durability is. Opinions?

Thanks.
Easy answer...YES, go for it ! You will not regret it Tail is same size (diameter) of Trex 450....making replacement of parts easy. When you order, make sure and add a set of wood FP blades.

-Dave
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Apr 28, 2008, 09:24 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelasso
Easy answer...YES, go for it ! You will not regret it Tail is same size (diameter) of Trex 450....making replacement of parts easy. When you order, make sure and add a set of wood FP blades.

-Dave

Are there any blades included or are these an upgrade that should be done. Also, the motor that I have is a JGF400DH. will this be suitable?
Thanks
Tag1260 is offline Find More Posts by Tag1260
Old Apr 28, 2008, 09:54 PM
Real wings, RC rotors
Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag1260
Are there any blades included or are these an upgrade that should be done. Also, the motor that I have is a JGF400DH. will this be suitable?
Thanks
One set of woodies is included.

The 400DH is light enough and should have plenty of power, but is really too high a KV motor (4000 or 4400 KV). With a 9T pinion, or even a 8T, you will be running it at relatively low throttle %'s so it will not be efficient. I'd guess you will be hovering at around 1/3 throttle with woodies. It will probably work OK, but may run hot and will definitely run through your battery faster than it should. That motor will be a little better with M24 blades since they have less lift and need to turn faster.

- Doug
asw20rr is offline Find More Posts by asw20rr
Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:54 AM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,365 Posts
Yo Tag.

I'm going to say yah start building it but keep flying your HBFP.
I say this because once you pass the hovering stage and start doing Forward flight you are going to start crashing again. And you would rather crash the HBFP instead of the Compy. Once I started doing figure eights with my HBFP I ordered a Compy and built it. Nose in hover on the HBFP was difficult but with the Compy it was easy.
The compy is alot easier to fly. But get your orientation down with a Sim or the HBFP. Then start flying the Compy. And the HBFP will be a great second heli if the compy is down.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 07:34 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,759 Posts
I'm a little confused with "KV" rating. I understand what it stands for but higher or lower doesn't really make sense to me. Seeing how 450 helis want to use around 3800 and lighter FPs need it in the 4000+, is higher better for a lighter heli? Reason I ask is I have a 4500kv motor (from cnchelicopter with 15A ESC combo) that I was going to use for the Compy. Will it be o.k. or will it drain my battery too fast?

To answer Shogo,
I don't have woodies. I'm flying M24s on my HBFP. They do have some flex. At rest, the droop down some but in flight they are only flexed up beyond flat just slightly. I guess you can say they are "pre-flexed" down so that at operational speed, they are in better shape.
dude_109 is online now Find More Posts by dude_109