HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:08 AM
Plattekill, NY
Joined Aug 2007
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset
I just don't get it!
I run my trimmed esky plastic blades on my Compy and I get a wobble bobbing free hover.
No bobbing of the nose.

I then put my compy wooden blades on and I get bobbing. It is pretty much unflyable.

I balanced the wooden blades. They are loose enough to find their sweet spot.

The tips do have some damage and I have epoxyied the ends.

Also now my elevator servo (HS-55) is chattering. Which is a common issue I guess with these servos.

maarset,

I too had the bobbing, using the woodies. The one thing that I noticed is that when the blades were loose enough to move freely, they would find a "sweet spot" that created an angle to rotor head. Whenever the blades were at this angle, I had no vibrations but a very visible bobbing effect. I actually had to tighten the blades up so that they do not move freely. Ever since I have done this, i have had no more bobbing. I have had some minor blades stikes with the blades like this and it has not caused any damage to other parts of the head due to the increased tightness.
Jimmy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Z
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:18 AM
Fremont, CA
Joined Jul 2007
250 Posts
Quote:
I just don't get it!
I run my trimmed esky plastic blades on my Compy and I get a wobble bobbing free hover.
No bobbing of the nose.

I then put my compy wooden blades on and I get bobbing. It is pretty much unflyable.

I balanced the wooden blades. They are loose enough to find their sweet spot.

The tips do have some damage and I have epoxyied the ends.

Also now my elevator servo (HS-55) is chattering. Which is a common issue I guess with these servos.
For experimnt, try the wooden blade without the O ring. I've never use any O ring and I have not have a single bobbing.

- Thomas -
whto is offline Find More Posts by whto
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:59 AM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,365 Posts
Yah it is weird. The stock trimmed esky blades work great. Less stable but no bobbing or wobbleing. Well I'm getting some M-24 blades hopefully today. Not sure how much longer this heli is going to be a FP. I want to go CP soon or do the Franken mod.
maarset is offline Find More Posts by maarset
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:54 PM
Goodyear, AZ
Joined Jan 2003
376 Posts
Quote:
I want to go CP soon or do the Franken mod.
What is the Franken Mod?
Kelley is offline Find More Posts by Kelley
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:57 PM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2003
304 Posts
maarset,

The glitching of the tail and the buzzing servo are almost certainly due to the GWS receiver. Every one I ever had glitched continuously. I bet if you try a decent receiver both those problems will go away. It might even help the bobbing and weaving...

Bruce
brucewillman is offline Find More Posts by brucewillman
Old Apr 25, 2008, 02:21 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley
What is the Franken Mod?
This guy stretched a compy so it was more like a 450 heli.
Amazing disk loading

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808692
Old Apr 25, 2008, 02:22 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewillman
maarset,

The glitching of the tail and the buzzing servo are almost certainly due to the GWS receiver. Every one I ever had glitched continuously. I bet if you try a decent receiver both those problems will go away. It might even help the bobbing and weaving...

Bruce
I have a berg I will try. Thanks Bruce
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:47 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,454 Posts
maarset, man i wish i could give you some helpfull info !!!
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:01 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
I tried to fly a plane with a GWS RX once... last time that plane flew..
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:49 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,365 Posts
I was hovering inside about a foot up and threw a tail blade. Man it went like a ROCKET!

Can I use a TREX 450 tail?
Control Set HS1175

Tail Holder set HS1176

If I go with the TREX tail do I have to use everything including the tail case?
Can I just use the Control Set that controls the cyclic of the tail blades and the tail holder?
Last edited by maarset; Apr 26, 2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 12:10 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
I was hovering inside about a foot up and threw a tail blade. Man it went like a ROCKET!

Can I use a TREX 450 tail?
Control Set HS1175

Tail Holder set HS1176

If I go with the TREX tail do I have to use everything including the tail case?
They hurt when they ding you in the thumbnail, too.

You'll have to do some modding to use the 1175 and 1176. Those are the SE V1 Trex tail.

The slider/lever combo HS1198 or rotor/slider/lever combo HS1199 will fit with no mods. It only has one control ball instead of the fork at the top of the lever, so it fits on the Compy tail case.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Apr 26, 2008, 08:54 AM
Real wings, RC rotors
Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
645 Posts

Damn, this heli is determined to live in the workshop. I got my CC10 switched out for the DonsRC 18, and that seems like a nice esc. Easy to program and a nice softstart....

It was gusty yesterday so I gave up after fighting the wind for 3 or 4 minutes. This morning it is only a little breezy so I figured I'd step out in the back yard with the Compy. First flight was very short as it was just the 2nd half of the battery from yesterday, but all seemed good. 2nd flight lasted all of 6 seconds. Right after takeoff I lost cyclic control and immediately drifted into a patio umbrella

My best guess is that the swash separated in flight. Damage = main shaft, central holder, ring pushrod, and the swashplate, and my canopy which I liked the paintjob was completely shattered . Looking at the swashplate quickly I don't even see what was supposed to hold it together??? The top half just slides in and out of the bearing. It this a repairable item (CA?) or would that just be looking for trouble.

Also, I remember in the thread there is a hardened shaft available from HeliDirect. Has that worked out well for people?

- Doug
asw20rr is offline Find More Posts by asw20rr
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:00 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asw20rr
Looking at the swashplate quickly I don't even see what was supposed to hold it together??? The top half just slides in and out of the bearing. It this a repairable item (CA?) or would that just be looking for trouble.
Yeah, CA that sucker back together! Just a careful, tiny drop of Medium (thin can go all over and into the bearing) between the 2 halves.

I don't know if they were just a press fit to start with, but I had one do the same thing on my HBFP. Holds like a rock, now.

Quote:
Also, I remember in the thread there is a hardened shaft available from HeliDirect. Has that worked out well for people?
If it's one for a HBFP, it will work, although it's shorter and you'll have to trim the swash anti rotation bracket so the flybar doesn't hit it. I like the shorter main shaft, as it brings the blades closer to the fuselage for quicker cyclic (or at least I'm convincing myself I can tell the difference )
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Apr 26, 2008, 12:45 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,365 Posts
Thanks for the tip murd. Ordered the HS1199 from rediheli. Good thing the HBFP is still going. Other wise I would go insane.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 02:47 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asw20rr

Damn, this heli is determined to live in the workshop. I got my CC10 switched out for the DonsRC 18, and that seems like a nice esc. Easy to program and a nice softstart....

It was gusty yesterday so I gave up after fighting the wind for 3 or 4 minutes. This morning it is only a little breezy so I figured I'd step out in the back yard with the Compy. First flight was very short as it was just the 2nd half of the battery from yesterday, but all seemed good. 2nd flight lasted all of 6 seconds. Right after takeoff I lost cyclic control and immediately drifted into a patio umbrella

My best guess is that the swash separated in flight. Damage = main shaft, central holder, ring pushrod, and the swashplate, and my canopy which I liked the paintjob was completely shattered . Looking at the swashplate quickly I don't even see what was supposed to hold it together??? The top half just slides in and out of the bearing. It this a repairable item (CA?) or would that just be looking for trouble.

- Doug
Damn Sorry to hear bout the 'mishap' Doug. I've discovered that if the links are slightly shorter, this puts pressure on the swash (pulls it apart). Best way I've found is hold each side of the swash balls (opposite from each other) and level swash (start with aileron). Now move the swash up and down to find the 'middle'. Note the height and adjust the link to this distance. Do the same for elevator. It's better too have the links a tad long....than short. Ohhh...and mine was acting 'wonky' and couldn't figure out why. Happened to notice the short link from swash to flybar cage was pushed all the way against the cage (slipped off the ball) !! Always best to give EVERYTHING a good look before and after flight.

-Dave
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso