SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:38 PM
Real wings, RC rotors
Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
645 Posts
Night Blades?

There is a youtube video floating around supposedly of a Compy FP with night blades. Anyone know where to get those blades???
asw20rr is offline Find More Posts by asw20rr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:48 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc
Coming up on 600 posts now, I wanted to see if some folks would post their successful drivetrain setups. I know there are several who seem to have gotten a sweet spot nailed with motor, pinion, and blades, and they're posted all over the thread, but could we maybe get examples of "ringer" setups together within a couple pages?

If you've got a setup that's dope for great punchouts and long flights, please post it!

Motor
Pinion
Main blade type, including pitch (measured with pitch gauge, if possible)
ESC
Battery
Any other "make the heli go" stuff you see as pertinent

Thanks from a tinkerer that can't leave anything alone!
Hdx300 3800kv (2.3mm shaft)
9T revco
FP woodies from Heli-fever 8* pitch & M-24s w/cnc head stiffiner--cnc paddle control frame
18A ESc from DonsRC
3S1350 loong max & csrc 3S1650

-Dave
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Apr 09, 2008, 08:35 AM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
canopy

The windshield on my canopy got jarred loose during one of my various crashes. I just took it off and haven't glued it back on. Waiting til I repaint the canopy. I still put the canopy back on though, it helps me with orientation. But I've noticed that with the windshield off, it flies like my cg is way off and it's very nose heavy. Is the downwash getting trapped in there and actually pushing the nose down? Should I just fly without the canopy until I put the windshield back on?
mckolit is offline Find More Posts by mckolit
Old Apr 09, 2008, 09:50 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckolit
The windshield on my canopy got jarred loose during one of my various crashes. I just took it off and haven't glued it back on. Waiting til I repaint the canopy. I still put the canopy back on though, it helps me with orientation. But I've noticed that with the windshield off, it flies like my cg is way off and it's very nose heavy. Is the downwash getting trapped in there and actually pushing the nose down? Should I just fly without the canopy until I put the windshield back on?
Has the lipo position changed ? It's possible that downwash is causing the prob, but I wouldn't think it would be 'severe' situation.

-Dave
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Apr 09, 2008, 11:04 AM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelasso
Has the lipo position changed ? It's possible that downwash is causing the prob, but I wouldn't think it would be 'severe' situation.

-Dave
Lipo position has not changed. I'll try it without the canopy and see if there is a difference.
mckolit is offline Find More Posts by mckolit
Old Apr 10, 2008, 08:50 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Dug a nice hole in the dirt with my Compy today. Was working on some almost passable back and forth forward flight about 20 feet up when the power cut out (I suspect cheap ESC).

The J-Team must have done some serious stress testing to get the strength of the Compy's frame exactly even throughout the structure. Mine's broken in nine places! Saw the first break and figured I could band-aid it with some fiberglass. Then found another crack. And the other seven

So looks like I'm ordering a couple frame pieces!

Add to Cart...
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:59 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,481 Posts
Quote:
Dug a nice hole in the dirt with my Compy today. Was working on some almost passable back and forth forward flight about 20 feet up when the power cut out (I suspect cheap ESC).

The J-Team must have done some serious stress testing to get the strength of the Compy's frame exactly even throughout the structure. Mine's broken in nine places! Saw the first break and figured I could band-aid it with some fiberglass. Then found another crack. And the other seven

So looks like I'm ordering a couple frame pieces!

Add to Cart...
hate to hear that man!!!

i was going to order another BD kit because i'm enjoying mine so much...but i see they are SOLD OUT!!

i think i will go ahead and get a complete frame assembly myself...just to have.

hope you get back flying soon
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:23 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC
hate to hear that man!!!

i was going to order another BD kit because i'm enjoying mine so much...but i see they are SOLD OUT!!

i think i will go ahead and get a complete frame assembly myself...just to have.

hope you get back flying soon
Gonna have to go EMS shipping on this one. 2-5 days is bad enough to be Compy-less. Don't think I could handle 2 weeks! I really hope we get this instant shipping thing figured out soon.

I've even pondered getting some FG or CF sheet and making my own frame sides. It'd be a lot of tight machining. Maybe a good rainy day project.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:30 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,757 Posts
KC,

I've been eyeing the FP kit and saw the Deluxe kit sold out a few weeks back. Then I noticed the regular FP kit is sold out today too!!!

I was waiting to order 1 for my birthday in June...does someone know if production is just slow or are the J-Team moving off on other project developments?
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:44 PM
Joined Sep 2007
245 Posts
ESC question for everyone

What kind of ESC are you running? If you mosy on over to this thread you'll see I'm having mystery shutdown problems with my Compy. dze suggested my ESC might be inadequate for my load. Anyone else running a 10A ESC?
generalbacardi is offline Find More Posts by generalbacardi
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:00 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalbacardi
What kind of ESC are you running? If you mosy on over to this thread you'll see I'm having mystery shutdown problems with my Compy. dze suggested my ESC might be inadequate for my load. Anyone else running a 10A ESC?
Yeah, look a few posts up.
Mine's a BMC 10-N from Heli-fever. Should have left it buried in the crater it created. It has a very rough start, too-low cutoff, and oh, yeah, the plant-the-heli-in-the-ground circuit.

I don't know if it's shutting down because it's 10A or that it's low quality, but it shuts stuff down.

One thing to pay attention to is how many servos the ESC can handle. That may be dependent on the BEC current or might be related to something else. Not too smart on these things...

I'd suspect that a high-end 10A would perform well, where a lower-end 10A may fail.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:09 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalbacardi
i was using a Dynam 20a with an Esky 3100 motor....start up was

i ordered a Pentium 18a...went ahead and got the program card for $8...best $$$ i've spent lately
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:20 PM
Joined Sep 2007
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC
i was using a Dynam 20a with an Esky 3100 motor....start up was

i ordered a Pentium 18a...went ahead and got the program card for $8...best $$$ i've spent lately
I have the program card too, that thing is worth its weight in gold! Have you had a chance to try out the Pentium 18A yet? I was thinking of trying that one out since I already have the program card, but like the Pentium 10A, the BEC is 2A, so if the BEC amperage rating is the culprit, that won't solve my problem...
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:25 PM
Joined Sep 2007
245 Posts
Quote:
One thing to pay attention to is how many servos the ESC can handle. That may be dependent on the BEC current or might be related to something else. Not too smart on these things...
The Pentium 10A I am running supposedly handles 3-4 micro servos on 3 cell lipo. I'm running 2 HS-65MG's on the swash and a digital Futaba S3154 on the tail with a GY-401 gyro. I wonder if the digital servo is drawing too much juice.

Quote:
I'd suspect that a high-end 10A would perform well, where a lower-end 10A may fail.
I'm sure a Castle Creations 10 would be fine, but $55 for the ESC and $22 for the castle link... a tall order in today's economy
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:29 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Economic.
Stimulus.

You have to buy stuff or you're not a good citizen.

Also, don't be guilty of thoughtcrime. Double plus ungood!