HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2009, 08:46 AM
Joined Jan 2009
640 Posts
Hey guys heres my newly built compy. Couple of things. The tail slider is out to 2/3 the tail shaft.
The boom gets loose pretty easily
The servos were a biatch to put in
there is very little clearance with the main grive gear so my gear was rubbing up against the mounting screws for the motor as well as the rollers that keep the belt aligned.
The instructions had some missing parts, like putting on the tail blades, Direction of the tail blades. How to assemble the control link for the tail servo.
Having issues setting up the gyro w/ my transmitter
ciscovet is offline Find More Posts by ciscovet
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:31 AM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,484 Posts
I just picked up a used Guru-Z Xeon(I know, I know, it's the competition), the previous owner came up with a unique way of keeping the belt tension correct. He put an extra servo mount on the boom, shoved it up against the boom mount on the frame, and tightened it.
Dave
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:13 PM
Joined Jan 2009
640 Posts
thats a good idea. Im going to pick up an extra servo mount to mount the tail servo because I don't like the servo mounted on the frame
Old Apr 26, 2009, 04:29 PM
Oregon, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barrow
I just picked up a used Guru-Z Xeon(I know, I know, it's the competition), the previous owner came up with a unique way of keeping the belt tension correct. He put an extra servo mount on the boom, shoved it up against the boom mount on the frame, and tightened it.
Dave
Dave, I just use a set screw snugged into the aluminum boom through that hole in the boom mount and my boom has never moved since I built the heli.

That clamp is a good idea though if someone is having trouble.
RMG2 is offline Find More Posts by RMG2
Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:01 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Jan 2008
3,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscovet
thats a good idea. Im going to pick up an extra servo mount to mount the tail servo because I don't like the servo mounted on the frame
I did that too after smacking mine in a time or two and straightening the boom. When I finally got around to installing a new boom I slid the cut down servo mount on it too. I clipped the sevo mounting arm off of it.on my Guru Z/Compy hybrid.

I run my belt very loose now. I kept it tight for a while but I like it with no static tension on it. I wore my original belt out almost. The teeth were down to almost 1/2 height when I had to put a new tail case on it at close to 200 flights.

I need to give it some love now as it is time for some bearings and the motor is getting a little tired. Ive enjoyed this little bird for sure. It puts a smile on my face everytime.

Jimmy
jamesppp is offline Find More Posts by jamesppp
Old Apr 26, 2009, 09:41 PM
Go fast, take chances!!!
Greenville, NC
Joined Jan 2008
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMG2
I'm hovering at about 60% stick with my non-linear curve.
Yea, I guess I was asking what the actual throttle output was when you hover considering your non-linear curve, but looking back and doing a little math has you just under 50% real throttle output (48%) when you are at 60% stick. I am still hovering below 50% real output, so I will start cutting down by blades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMG2
The new Scorpion dubbed the Trex 250 motor (2206-3900) is only 14amp/150watt continuous. Not near the 21amp/220watt of the 2208-3600 or the 2208-24 V2. It also has the weird shaft size of 2.5mm but that's only .005" (.0025" per side) over the 2.3mm standard size so taking .0025" off with a little fine sand paper would take just seconds. I'm not sure it would have enough power for our 300-class???
Good point about just sanding down the shaft, that would probably work fine (why would they use a 2.5mm shaft anyways??!!). I was thinking that the 150W rating would be enough as a lot of original Compy CP owners were flying the ARC 130 as well as the 110 and really liking those (that is 130W and 110W). Not sure why those motors seem to have gone from favor lately... I was going to get one back in the day but they were out of stock and then I got turned on to Scorpion.
vtry is offline Find More Posts by vtry
Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:05 AM
Joined Jan 2009
640 Posts
hey guys, still having some issues. Is there a bearing that sits on to of the tail housing that helps guide the belt? My blue ray has one but I did not find in the kit. The instructions dont mention anything about it. I was unable to keep tension on the tail boom so I placed some electical tape on the end that connects the rotor to the tail boom. The joint between the frame to the boom is sloppy too. Haven't found a bolt that fits that hole to tighten the tail boom to frame. The motor slips on the mount any suggestions on what to use. Had to file down the screws so they wouldn't rub on the main gear - not much cleareance. One important tip that I found on wikipedia - I had the blade grips reverse which would cause the tail rotor slider to sit at 2/3s the distance on the tail shaft. You would think they would mention it in the instructions.
Old May 22, 2009, 09:05 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,421 Posts
put this lightweight frame together today..
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old May 28, 2009, 03:20 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Up again!

Hey, fellas,
Guess what I got up in the air again after a long down time? Good ol' Compy FP!

I forgot how much I love this heli. My A.D.D. hobby mind gets distracted when it finds a new endeavor (like a Stryker and a pylon racer. I know... planks. Ugh!) I didn't pull out of a hammerhead quite soon enough on the Compy to avoid terra firma and kind of shelved the heli for a while. But I got the hankering again for some FP fun. So brushed the dust off and got out the glue and up in the air again! I love this heli!

A mod I incorporated into this most recent rebuild is using a lower head stiffener in addition to the upper stiffener. I noticed that when running the upper stiffener only, the blades still cone pretty badly in flight, especially with hard pull-outs. The lower stiffener nearly ELIMINATES blade coning, resulting in better tracking, cyclic responsiveness, and decreased pitch up in FF.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc