HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2008, 11:42 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,365 Posts
Well I guess it is my turn to eat Crow. Tightened up those woodie blades and went into the backyard for a evening flight.

Wow what a difference. It spun up very smoothly. Did some nice punch outs and no LG vibrations. And when I did the punch outs the tail stayed perfect. No weird wagging as it climbed up. Tail acted so much better. Alot more stable too. Extremely extremely happy. It really flew so much better.

Nice vid Dave. I see you getting close to nose in. Keep flying it away from you and just turn that nose in a little bit towards you and bring it in. Good job.
maarset is offline Find More Posts by maarset
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2008, 12:24 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,779 Posts
That Guru-Z frame looks like the one they offer for HBFP but with belt tail. By that I mean the battery tray is shorter than the Compy. I'm guessing about 1/2 of the lipo's length will be hanging over the front tip of that tray. You'll have to strap the lipo down good or it might get loose in a hard landing. I prefer the longer battery tray of the Compy. The horiz & vert fins are also the ones offered for HBFP upgrade.

I'm somewhat disappointed and had my hopes up that it would be a full upgrade from Compy in every way...

As for blade tightening, in a perfect world with perfect set ups, you could balance everything out for perfect tracking and no vibration but many of us are beating this heli around so unless you want to strip and rebuild every time, its better to find solutions that allows you to fly...like tightening the blades.

Like someone said previously, if 1 blade should slip out, you'll get major imbalance and wobbling. Thinking back, it must have caused one of my early crashes as in a FF pass, I noticed the heli yawing 45+ degrees really fast and I wasn't quick enough to save it. I don't have lock nut on those stock M2 screws so I'm doing the double nut thing right now but wonder if I should blue locktite it just for more security.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Jul 09, 2008, 12:44 AM
Google 'Blade 400 bible'
Joined Nov 2006
2,776 Posts
Yes I'm gonna do it! HBFP still flying great... will keep me busy while I wait for the kit and the build. Will be fun to build from scratch.. makes repairs easier. Can sell my new slo-max motors and dd tail motors and 3in1 etc to recoop some dough.. but really.. with all the parts I have it shouldn't cost me more than $130. Sweet! Any suggestions for what I should order while I'm at it? (common parts etc)... I have LOADS of hbfp parts still and so many work in the compy... but perhaps blades.. main gear, belt etc..

Looking forward to it! Ordered 4 of the 1500mah batteries from DX already.

BTW, how do you track wood blades?
Slyster is offline Find More Posts by Slyster
Old Jul 09, 2008, 12:45 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyster
Will the heli w/ stock woodie blades do as well as my HBFP in light/med winds? (I have the slomax/dd tail/m24 combo on my HBFP)
Compy with stock woodie will perform much better than your HBFP (I also have the same w/ those mods) in wind as the Compy is at least 1/3 heavier than HBFPs. I haven't weigh mine but many say theirs is in the 420gram range compared to 300g or so for HBFP.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Jul 09, 2008, 05:00 AM
Google 'Blade 400 bible'
Joined Nov 2006
2,776 Posts
I DID IT! Put in my order... so you will be seeing me more around here now if I can bud in...

What is stock blade pitch? Aero-fever only shows TWO in their replacement parts section.... 10 degrees and 9 degrees??

Anyway.. I bought an extra couple sets of the 9 pitch.

M24's work as well? i have a few pairs of them already...

After all said and done (I did buy a lot of spare parts) it was $220 or so... but still no esc or motor.. since they are out on aero-fever. But I can check my LHS for those maybe... not sure. Maybe another site I can find both. I paid an extra $10 for 2-5 day shipping.. this will be fun!

Thanks for the tips so far.. (er.. I have still yet to read this whole thread but I'll get on it soon I promise! No doubt tons of nuggets of info buried in here)
Last edited by Slyster; Jul 09, 2008 at 05:18 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2008, 05:16 AM
Google 'Blade 400 bible'
Joined Nov 2006
2,776 Posts
OK.. where in the world do I get a motor and ESC?

murdnunoc your suggestions were out of range (as in the 'recommended' motor)....

I wish aero-fever wasn't out of motors and ESC... I'll run to my LHS tomorrow to see what they have.. but man.. the AKE motors are NO WHERE to be found... except on the compy site.. but they are sold out.

Can some of you please tell me what motor/esc you successfully use? I really searched hard and cannot find motors that fall within the recommended KV's nor 10A esc's... hmmmm....

Could some of you tell me what easily had motor/pinion and ESC options that you are using? This is the last piece to my puzzle.
Last edited by Slyster; Jul 09, 2008 at 05:31 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2008, 06:04 AM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,533 Posts
I would imagine an ARC, Castle 25 and HPI Pinion from dave at www.lightflightrc.com would do the trick. When I purchased from Dave I had it in a few days, I should imagine if you ordered it today you would get it well before friday.
madhun1 is offline Find More Posts by madhun1
Old Jul 09, 2008, 07:45 AM
Google 'Blade 400 bible'
Joined Nov 2006
2,776 Posts
Which ARC motor and which pinion? Direct fit? Tried and true? Etc... Tx
Last edited by Slyster; Jul 09, 2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2008, 08:00 AM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,533 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...rchid=15658480

It seems an ARC130 & either 10T or 12T is the business
Old Jul 09, 2008, 08:01 AM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
976 Posts
Does anyone know the length of the standard flybar that comes with the Compy? Broke (Boy did I break it!!! ) and lost parts of mine.
Thanks
Tag1260 is offline Find More Posts by Tag1260
Old Jul 09, 2008, 08:04 AM
QPower 18650
Sunshine Coast
Joined Jun 2006
1,533 Posts
http://www.team-compy.com/download/C..._Manual-V1.pdf

http://www.aero-fever.net/product_in...roducts_id=797
Old Jul 09, 2008, 08:13 AM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
976 Posts
Sorry. Double post.
Tag1260 is offline Find More Posts by Tag1260
Old Jul 09, 2008, 08:24 AM
The Great Santini
Madison, NJ 07940
Joined Dec 2004
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset
Well I guess it is my turn to eat Crow. Tightened up those woodie blades and went into the backyard for a evening flight...
Im glad its working for you, but don't eat crow. There are threads dating back years on loose vs tight blades, death wobble, osillation, advancing the blades, lead-lag, blade springs, etc. Advancing/tightening can keep the blades from lead-lagging due to a set up or mechanical issue. I dont think anyone contests that. Anyway that' s all from me on the subject.
Santini is offline Find More Posts by Santini
Old Jul 09, 2008, 09:01 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset
Well I guess it is my turn to eat Crow. Tightened up those woodie blades and went into the backyard for a evening flight.

Wow what a difference. It spun up very smoothly. Did some nice punch outs and no LG vibrations. And when I did the punch outs the tail stayed perfect. No weird wagging as it climbed up. Tail acted so much better. Alot more stable too. Extremely extremely happy. It really flew so much better.

Nice vid Dave. I see you getting close to nose in. Keep flying it away from you and just turn that nose in a little bit towards you and bring it in. Good job.
Thx Maar....glad you finally saw 'the light' Just make sure they are advanced...doesn't have to be perfect, just forward of the head. I learned this long ago (before man walked upright ) from JPC watching him fly his freestyle/fp with M-24s

-Dave
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Jul 09, 2008, 11:58 AM
The Great Santini
Madison, NJ 07940
Joined Dec 2004
1,922 Posts
George Santayana.
Santini is offline Find More Posts by Santini