HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 26, 2008, 01:28 PM
Registered User
Fremont, CA
Joined Jul 2007
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UH -1H
hi Whto, nice flying too this place is all about learning flying
Tips.. and sharing flying tips.. i believe everybody will agreed with me. Right.. People? regards jon
Thanks for your help Jon, and I agree with you totally. I'm learning flying almost everyday.

- Thomas -
whto is offline Find More Posts by whto
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2008, 02:13 PM
It's a heli valotta fun!
kt74's Avatar
Joined Apr 2007
1,413 Posts
I got some outdoor flying filmed:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...59&postcount=1
kt74 is offline Find More Posts by kt74
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 03:52 PM
Registered User
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt74
Well... I figured out my issue. I was adjusting the tail servo travel so that the tail servo wouldn't buzz at full deflection. It turns out that adjusting a servo's travel with the tx also severely slows it down.
I'm confused. If you set the rudder to 50% R 50% L to stop the binding on the right side and leave the controls symmetric, then the servo should move to full right rudder at its full deflection, exactly what it would have done at half deflection if travel was 100/100. But that shouldn't affect the speed of the servo, only the amount of stick movement to get to the full right pitch slider movement.

Unless the gyro somehow has something to do with it; I agree that at 50/50 the rudder feels more sluggish.

BTW, kt74, great flying on your outdoor video! Are you using any expo on the cyclic? I can't get mine to fly that smoothing, but I'm sure I'm just overcontrolling.
ccdengr is offline Find More Posts by ccdengr
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 03:56 PM
It's a heli valotta fun!
kt74's Avatar
Joined Apr 2007
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdengr
I'm confused. If you set the rudder to 50% R 50% L to stop the binding on the right side and leave the controls symmetric, then the servo should move to full right rudder at its full deflection, exactly what it would have done at half deflection if travel was 100/100. But that shouldn't affect the speed of the servo, only the amount of stick movement to get to the full right pitch slider movement.

Unless the gyro somehow has something to do with it; I agree that at 50/50 the rudder feels more sluggish.
I know... it surprised me too. But I checked it a few times. With the rudder travel at 100% the tail is lightning fast. At 50% it's slow and does a full piro in about 7 seconds or more. I guess the tx slows the servo down toward the end of it's throw? Whatever it is... I'm leaving my servo throw at 100%. I love the snappy tail!!
kt74 is offline Find More Posts by kt74
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 04:11 PM
Registered User
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt74
Whatever it is... I'm leaving my servo throw at 100%. I love the snappy tail!!
Maybe it's got something to do with how the rate damping of the gyro mixes with the rudder input. At any rate, I agree that it's much nicer at 100%!
ccdengr is offline Find More Posts by ccdengr
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 07:33 PM
The Great Santini
Santini's Avatar
Madison, NJ 07940
Joined Dec 2004
1,922 Posts
Nice video. Looks like a tiger. How is right piro (that was all left)?
Santini is offline Find More Posts by Santini
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:00 PM
It's a heli valotta fun!
kt74's Avatar
Joined Apr 2007
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini
Nice video. Looks like a tiger. How is right piro (that was all left)?
Ah great... Now I have to make another vid showing some right piro...
kt74 is offline Find More Posts by kt74
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:48 PM
Real wings, RC rotors
asw20rr's Avatar
Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdengr
Maybe it's got something to do with how the rate damping of the gyro mixes with the rudder input. At any rate, I agree that it's much nicer at 100%!
I think kt74 said he was using the Esky heading hold gyro. You cannot adjust end point travel with this gyro. If you set the end point to 50% in the Tx all you are doing is limiting the piro rate that the gyro will allow in that direction. In heading hold mode your stick deflection translates to piro rate, so by setting the end point on your Tx you are just limiting your piro rate.

- Doug
asw20rr is offline Find More Posts by asw20rr
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:28 PM
Registered User
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asw20rr
I think kt74 said he was using the Esky heading hold gyro.
I think he was using the rate gyro. Anyway, I'm using the rate gyro and I see the same effect he does.
ccdengr is offline Find More Posts by ccdengr
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 06:00 PM
Registered User
Marshfield, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Sep 2002
1,542 Posts
Just finished setting up my Compy with cc10, Razor Heli V1(or 2, all the print wore off): Have a 10 tooth pinion, and my first hovers found the motor quite hot, although the ambient temp was in the 40's. The 3s TP1320 wasnt even warm. I havent amped the setup, since Ive never figured out how to do without trashing myself or the heli.
I wonder if this Razor is up to the load of the compy. My pitch at half throttle(50% on the throttle curve) is aruond 6degrees and just breaking ground to hover.
My initial impression is a mini Trex. Good on all counts. And Im pleased not to have to deal with a motorized tail and its attendant problems.
Appreciate any thoughts on this issue. 9 tooth pinion? 2s?
Thanks
Nice product Aero-Fever.
stuka is offline Find More Posts by stuka
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 06:30 PM
It's a heli valotta fun!
kt74's Avatar
Joined Apr 2007
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdengr
I think he was using the rate gyro. Anyway, I'm using the rate gyro and I see the same effect he does.
I did start with the rate gyro. I thought my slow piro rate may have been a gyro problem, so I changed to the hh gyro. I saw the same thing with both. Then I figured out when I left the servo travel at 100% the piro was fast. I'll probably put the rate gyro back on the Compy because it flew well with the rate gyro. I need the hh gyro for my Belt-CP.
kt74 is offline Find More Posts by kt74
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 09:26 PM
The Great Santini
Santini's Avatar
Madison, NJ 07940
Joined Dec 2004
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka
Just finished setting up my Compy with cc10, Razor Heli V1(or 2, all the print wore off): Have a 10 tooth pinion, and my first hovers found the motor quite hot, although the ambient temp was in the 40's. The 3s TP1320 wasnt even warm. I havent amped the setup, since Ive never figured out how to do without trashing myself or the heli.
I wonder if this Razor is up to the load of the compy. My pitch at half throttle(50% on the throttle curve) is aruond 6degrees and just breaking ground to hover.
My initial impression is a mini Trex. Good on all counts. And Im pleased not to have to deal with a motorized tail and its attendant problems.
Appreciate any thoughts on this issue. 9 tooth pinion? 2s?
Thanks
Nice product Aero-Fever.
Is there a heat sink on the motor?
Santini is offline Find More Posts by Santini
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:49 AM
Registered User
Marshfield, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Sep 2002
1,542 Posts
No, and I wondered about that, but still am concerned about the heat. I put my IR gun in my back pocket for just this reason, but of course I forgot to use it once I set down. I think my total hover time was around 3 minutes in 38 degree weather(Farenhite( yea I inow spelling):
Thanks
stuka is offline Find More Posts by stuka
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:49 AM
Registered User
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka
Just finished setting up my Compy with cc10, Razor Heli V1(or 2, all the print wore off): Have a 10 tooth pinion, and my first hovers found the motor quite hot, although the ambient temp was in the 40's. The 3s TP1320 wasnt even warm. I havent amped the setup, since Ive never figured out how to do without trashing myself or the heli.
I wonder if this Razor is up to the load of the compy. My pitch at half throttle(50% on the throttle curve) is aruond 6degrees and just breaking ground to hover.
Is this an FP or a CP? If it's a CP you might consider running a higher throttle and lower pitch at mid-stick, or gearing down to 9T, since brushless motors are often more efficient at higher throttle. Though with my FP with Esky 3100 I'm hovering at about 60% throttle and the motor doesn't get hot at all.

At any rate, the Razor Heli motor is 4300kv and I'd have thought would be capable of powering the Compy with no problems. But it's an inrunner so it may get hotter than the equivalent outrunner. Do people using ARC motors in the Compy find them getting hot?
ccdengr is offline Find More Posts by ccdengr
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:59 AM
that's gonna leave a scar
KCinNC's Avatar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,459 Posts
ccdengr , are you using the 25a Esky esc with the 3100 ?? i was thinking about using this combo....i figured since it runs my HBK2 smoothly..why not try it in the Compy..
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Motor/ESC combination for Compy 300 FP? generalbacardi Micro Helis 1 Oct 31, 2008 09:43 PM
Sold Excellent Compy 300 FP RTF with Lots of Extras!!! - Blowout Price - $170 SHIPPED cdbarnett Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 14 Nov 16, 2007 05:16 PM
Discussion Compy 300 FP coming out? generalbacardi Micro Helis 2 Nov 08, 2007 11:50 PM
Video Compy 300 FP video testing the Esky beefed up paddle frame and Compy swash electric-flyer Electric Heli Talk 0 Oct 04, 2007 09:41 PM
Cool Compy 300 FP video electric-flyer Micro Helis 0 Jul 17, 2007 02:24 PM