HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2008, 08:11 PM
US Navy AT2 1987-1995
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2008
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maarset
And not to bring up any more griping but you then compare my setup to something JPC has been running for a while. Which I don't understand. Correct me if I am wrong but his Compy was a CP and his FP was a Free Style. I do read carefully.
JPCs freestyle was an FP I didn't even know he ever did a compy at all. (except for flying Dave's on youtube)
he recommended the ARC130 for the FREEP and other applications including the Compy which is why I got it.

BTW it may be a tad pricy compared to a home made stiffener but it don't get much stiffer than the new CNC/Fiber piece from Xtreme.. talk about no blade wobble no nothing at all and you actually tighten them down all the way with the M24s so they don't move much at all.. Of course that means you have to be very careful in getting them spread right.

maars dont take me wrong way bro I want nothing more than to help you fly these blades they are so good when you get the headspeed right.
USNAviationjay is online now Find More Posts by USNAviationjay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2008, 08:13 PM
US Navy AT2 1987-1995
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2008
1,329 Posts
Thanks to KT and ASW for setting me straight I thought that the Outrunner was the faster more powerful motor I didn't realize one of the traits of my ARC was the higher headspeed.
Old Jun 04, 2008, 12:47 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,779 Posts
My Compy flies again. New ESC in place. That old no-name ESC was supposed to be 15A but probably was not meant for 11.1V or something. The new Pentium had absolutely no sparking at the deans at all when I connected it to the battery.

Did a quick hover in the kitchen to make sure all connections were o.k. Will take it outdoors tomorrow to continue tuning and more shelf-life on the new electronics to make sure there is no lemon. Crashing because of pilot error is one thing but crashing from components failing is fustrating.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Jun 04, 2008, 12:58 AM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNAviationjay
JPCs freestyle was an FP I didn't even know he ever did a compy at all. (except for flying Dave's on youtube)
he recommended the ARC130 for the FREEP and other applications including the Compy which is why I got it.

BTW it may be a tad pricy compared to a home made stiffener but it don't get much stiffer than the new CNC/Fiber piece from Xtreme.. talk about no blade wobble no nothing at all and you actually tighten them down all the way with the M24s so they don't move much at all.. Of course that means you have to be very careful in getting them spread right.

maars dont take me wrong way bro I want nothing more than to help you fly these blades they are so good when you get the headspeed right.
Thanks USN
it's all good. I'll look into those Xtreme stuff. I just wish they made a Rotor Hub.
maarset is offline Find More Posts by maarset
Old Jun 04, 2008, 02:20 AM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asw20rr
Full throttle does not relate to power, unless your motor is undersized. Full throttle headspeed will be Dependant on your pack voltage, motor KV rating, efficiency, and gear ratio. For example using the Esky 3100 with a 9T and M24's gives you a full throttle headspeed that is too slow for good vertical performance. I know because I have twice hit the ground due to insufficient lift to pull out of a high speed descent. It is not because the motor cannot produce enough power, it is because the motor will spin no faster on the available voltage. Lots of people on this forum are running much higher KV motors, so will not see this limitation.

Maarset, I'd see what happens with solid links on both sides of the head. I have found the Compy to be pretty susceptible to weird induced oscillations, even when everything seems pretty well balanced. I know I run my gyro at lower gain than I'd like otherwise I get that low frequency up and down bobble in the tail, but I got that with the woodies as well.

- Doug
Low frequency bobble in tail. Yes I was getting that last week even though my blade and fly bar were balanced and my main shaft was straight. I would get this bobbing of the nose and tail going up and down. This was going on with both my pairs of wooden compy blades. I then went to my M-24 blades and it went away. So I thought my wood blades were messed up some how. I had no idea it might have been the telebee gyro.

Thanks everyone for the motor info. I'll probably go with the Arc 130 if I want to use the M-24's. It will give me that reserve of power if I need to get out of a tight situation. Right now I am using some trimmed Esky FP blades that seem alright. Getting longer fight times which I need right now. It's still alot more stable than my HBFP. Getting 8 to 9 minute flight times on a G Force 1000MAH 3s lipo. And I have around 80 MAH per minute. Might try those GWS 2090 blades or the Century blades.
Old Jun 04, 2008, 06:52 AM
Radd's Two-Star Grad
Cary, NC
Joined Mar 2008
286 Posts
Has anyone tried this motor on their Compy? How does it compare to the ARC130? The ESC that comes with the motor is absolute junk. I fried two of them just starting the motor under a no-load condition!
HeliFish is offline Find More Posts by HeliFish
Old Jun 04, 2008, 08:41 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFish
Has anyone tried this motor on their Compy? How does it compare to the ARC130? The ESC that comes with the motor is absolute junk. I fried two of them just starting the motor under a no-load condition!
KV is pretty high....this is the one I'm using http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...trunner/Detail

-Dave
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Jun 04, 2008, 08:50 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
That motor sounds adequate. The models they list it for are lighter than the Compy, so it might be a tad underpowered, but it should fly on a 9 or 10T pinion.

The ESC has a 1A BEC. That's borderline, especially if you ever want to run four servos and a gyro, like a CP setup. It's even pushing it for 3 servos and a HH gyro, like a Compy FP setup. It also doesn't say anything about programmable voltage cutoff, timing or governor programmability. You can live without some programming, but the LVC is important.

EDIT: sorry, on rereading, it looks like you were talking about the ESC I just slammed. If you're planning on trashing the esc anyway, just get the motor Lasso suggested.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Jun 04, 2008, 10:40 AM
US Navy AT2 1987-1995
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2008
1,329 Posts
Heya Houston guys any of you guys going to the Houston Heli Fun Fly Friday Sat Sun?

I just found out about it its gonna be in Katy at Space City RC.
Need an AMA to fly but other than that its free =D

Curtis Youngblood gonna be there and doing 3d demos.

Hoping to meet a few of you Houston peeps.
Old Jun 04, 2008, 12:22 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,779 Posts
Quote:

I'm using that one on my Compy. I fried my ESC on the 5th flight and just yesterday replaced it with a 18A Pentium. The motor say 4200kv but the box it came with say 4500kv. With the included (and well CA'ed) 10T pinion, it has plenty of power. I was hovering at 50% throttle. I just swapped out the pinion to 9T (HPI) and hover is around 60+% so I'm happier. However, that's a rough estimate as it is too windy for tuning hover in my driveway. I'll be able to tell more when the wind stops.

Be careful in mounting the motor as on the 3rd mounting, the screws seems to want to strip the aluminum motor housing.

Over all, I'm still having glitching problem on channel 1 (fwd cyclic). If you remember, glitching caused the last crash so I swapped out the servo. Odd thing is the glitch doesn't happen when I'm setting it up in the house but when I go outside, just that one channel glitches intermittently...

I guess the next try will be a different RX to see if that helps.

By the way, my TX is an antique 1991 Airtronics Vanguard 6 channel which was great back then. Now that I'm dusting it off for use on heli, I'm learning that Airtronics used positive shift while most of the industry used negative. Well, since 1991, the negative shift have won out. The new RX I bought is supposed to be dual shift but may be it is not doing its job well.

Additionally, Airtronics also lost the battle on standardization of servo plugs. Their positive and negative cables are reversed of the current standard.

Quick little history lesson for anyone who might be buying old technology...buyer be ware.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Jun 04, 2008, 03:56 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,366 Posts
I'm actually in the market for a used 6ch so when I move up to a CP. I did get a deal on a JR6102 but got screwed over. Nothing too fancy. Maybe a 5 plane memory.
Revo and Expo and Dual Rates. I like the feel of JR Radios. Been looking at the Specktrum DX6i but it is so weird looking.
Old Jun 04, 2008, 05:12 PM
US Navy AT2 1987-1995
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2008
1,329 Posts
Quote:
I'm actually in the market for a used 6ch so when I move up to a CP. I did get a deal on a JR6102 but got screwed over. Nothing too fancy. Maybe a 5 plane memory.
Revo and Expo and Dual Rates. I like the feel of JR Radios. Been looking at the Specktrum DX6i but it is so weird looking.

it may be weird looking but it fits in your hand so well its got a ergo type curve and it sits soo well in my hands.
Old Jun 04, 2008, 05:34 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,366 Posts
Do you do pinch or thumbs? I started doing the pinch a while ago and it can get kind of uncomfortable on some TX's.
Old Jun 04, 2008, 05:38 PM
US Navy AT2 1987-1995
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2008
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Do you do pinch or thumbs? I started doing the pinch a while ago and it can get kind of uncomfortable on some TX's.
oh! no but I was told yesterday I need to start and relearn to "pinch" i was using my thumbs and got good at it unfortunatley but i talked to a heli trainer yesterday and he said I'd have much more control if I learn the "pinch"
so I'll let you know how it feels.
I didnt even think about the ergo difference from different styles of control.
Ill test it and let ya know.
Old Jun 04, 2008, 05:49 PM
I can drift a heli
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2005
2,366 Posts
Yah I did thumbs for YEARS! Took me a while to change but it is definitly worth it.
What I do is I still keep the pad of my thumb on top of the sticks and I slide my pointer finger just infront of the sticks, just touching my thumbs. That seemed to work pretty well.