HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2008, 01:59 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Jun 2005
257 Posts
belt tension

what's the common practice to keep the belt tight?
It keeps on coming loose after a few test runs.
Thanks ;-)
modelpilotx is online now Find More Posts by modelpilotx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2008, 08:13 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelpilotx
what's the common practice to keep the belt tight?
It keeps on coming loose after a few test runs.
Thanks ;-)
You could drill a 1/16th hole down through the boom mount and insert a small screw (after the belt is tensioned).

-Dave
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Jun 01, 2008, 08:04 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelasso
You could drill a 1/16th hole down through the boom mount and insert a small screw (after the belt is tensioned).

-Dave
I did this on mine and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Dave, did you do this with the tail casing also? I notice mine wants to rotate a few degrees. I'm sure the tail strikes have something to contribute but I'm thinking about doing a screw there too.

Seems like V2 will have a set screw for this area or is it for where the boom goes into the fuselage? I couldn't tell precisely from the description.

I've got an Pentium 18A ESC coming from Don's RC. Hopefully, the Compy will be airbrone by next weekend. The HBFP is happy to get full attention again
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Jun 01, 2008, 08:09 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Jun 2005
257 Posts
Quote:

-Dave
Good Idea, I guess there's some room to not interfere with the
belt.

What tailservo is everyone using.
My HS55 seems a little sluggish for the job.

Cheers.
modelpilotx is online now Find More Posts by modelpilotx
Old Jun 01, 2008, 09:18 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,751 Posts
Quote:
I'm using BMS306BB on the tail. The specs say it to be faster than most but the torque is slightly lower than Esky or HS55.

Does any know what pitch degree main prop the Compy kit is delivered with? On aero-fever website I see 10, 9, and 6.5 degrees wooden props being offered as heli parts.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Jun 01, 2008, 09:24 PM
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109
I did this on mine and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Dave, did you do this with the tail casing also? I notice mine wants to rotate a few degrees. I'm sure the tail strikes have something to contribute but I'm thinking about doing a screw there too.

Seems like V2 will have a set screw for this area or is it for where the boom goes into the fuselage? I couldn't tell precisely from the description.

I've got an Pentium 18A ESC coming from Don's RC. Hopefully, the Compy will be airbrone by next weekend. The HBFP is happy to get full attention again
Yes....I've done that also. On the tail hub side (opposite the tail fin).

-Dave
Old Jun 01, 2008, 09:26 PM
US Navy AT2 1987-1995
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2008
1,329 Posts
Quote:
belt.

Cheers.
Im using a towerpro 9g works great.
USNAviationjay is offline Find More Posts by USNAviationjay
Old Jun 01, 2008, 09:27 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,454 Posts
Quote:
belt.

Cheers.
i'm using the Tower Pro SG-50....it's pretty fast !

the HS 55 is a regular cyclic servo....the HS 50 is for the tail
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Jun 01, 2008, 09:28 PM
Real wings, RC rotors
Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
645 Posts
Summer fun with the Compy

Took the kids out to my parents farm yesterday to swim in the pond and brought the Compy along. I should have brought a camera too... The alfalfa is about thigh high and I was having a blast flying swooping figure 8's over it and watching the rotorwash trail in the alfalfa

My Compy is starting to be really quiet. I guess the main gear has gotten sufficiently worn in. It is almost as quiet as a HBFP. With the wood blades it might even be quieter. I was just out in the backyard enjoying it, but the bane of my summer arrived yesterday. The mosquitos are here, and they love me. I do not love them. It is hard to fly a helicopter and swat mosquitos at the same time....

- Doug
asw20rr is offline Find More Posts by asw20rr
Old Jun 01, 2008, 09:35 PM
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asw20rr
Took the kids out to my parents farm yesterday to swim in the pond and brought the Compy along. I should have brought a camera too... The alfalfa is about thigh high and I was having a blast flying swooping figure 8's over it and watching the rotorwash trail in the alfalfa

My Compy is starting to be really quiet. I guess the main gear has gotten sufficiently worn in. It is almost as quiet as a HBFP. With the wood blades it might even be quieter. I was just out in the backyard enjoying it, but the bane of my summer arrived yesterday. The mosquitos are here, and they love me. I do not love them. It is hard to fly a helicopter and swat mosquitos at the same time....

- Doug
Glad you had some fun Doug ! Wind has me grounded here....been blowing night and day for over a week
Damn mosquitos are here as well....time to start looking for breeding spots and flipping 'em over ! I love watching the larve squirm around on the ground

-Dave
Old Jun 01, 2008, 09:41 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:

Cheers.
JR has the S185 that's worked wonders for me. It has a .06 sec speed, 6grams, and is about the size of a thumbnail. It has the torque as long as your mechanism is smooth. The gyro loves the lightning speed, too! I like whatever my gyro likes.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Jun 01, 2008, 11:02 PM
Real wings, RC rotors
Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
645 Posts
Quote:
Glad you had some fun Doug ! Wind has me grounded here....been blowing night and day for over a week
Damn mosquitos are here as well....time to start looking for breeding spots and flipping 'em over ! I love watching the larve squirm around on the ground

-Dave
Dave,

Saw you were looking for a gyro. What are you replacing? I am having better luck than you did with that XMSeller digital. My only issue has been I can't run the gain as high as I would like without getting the dreaded "Compy bobble". I am running it in digital mode with that cheap HDX digital 9g servo and so far so good. Piro rate is more than adequate for a Compy. I have a Logitech 2100 sitting on the shelf waiting for my Dragonus build. I'm really tempted to put it on the Compy to see if it fixes the up and down tail bobble issue.

Shot the first color paint for the new canopy tonight. I can't decide how complicated to make it....

- Doug
asw20rr is offline Find More Posts by asw20rr
Old Jun 02, 2008, 12:07 AM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Oct 2007
195 Posts
Quote:
Wind has me grounded here....been blowing night and day for over a week
I fly after dark in my carport practicing orientations. The winds have been pounding hard for over 2 weeks now and I'm thinking I should take on some night flying - sounds like fun, there is no wind at all at midnight!
Shogo is offline Find More Posts by Shogo
Old Jun 02, 2008, 08:06 AM
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asw20rr
Dave,

Saw you were looking for a gyro. What are you replacing? I am having better luck than you did with that XMSeller digital. My only issue has been I can't run the gain as high as I would like without getting the dreaded "Compy bobble". I am running it in digital mode with that cheap HDX digital 9g servo and so far so good. Piro rate is more than adequate for a Compy. I have a Logitech 2100 sitting on the shelf waiting for my Dragonus build. I'm really tempted to put it on the Compy to see if it fixes the up and down tail bobble issue.

Shot the first color paint for the new canopy tonight. I can't decide how complicated to make it....

- Doug
Doug,
Looking to replace the Esky on my MX. I 'sorta' gave up on the XM gyro...it's VERY picky about which servos it likes Will probably do Logitech 2100. JPC is using one on his Dragonus II and it performs extremely well ! I watched him flying the other day and he flew up to vertical and instead of doing stall turn, he came back down backwards.....across in front of us and up the other side...backwards !
Looked really sweet !
I'm also 'toying' with the idea of a gyro on my Extra Stiffy for hover practice. Took the 401 off my HDX500 and put it on the rudder ch...worked like a charm Haven't had a chance to fly it w/gyro yet though.

-Dave
Old Jun 02, 2008, 12:17 PM
US Navy AT2 1987-1995
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2008
1,329 Posts
Well I bought phoenix off our classifieds last night. Hope it will fill the gap on the windy days.

not bad 113 bucks with the JR/Spectrum box exactly what I needed.
should be leaps and bounds above Clearview with an Xbox360 controller =D
USNAviationjay is offline Find More Posts by USNAviationjay