HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2007, 02:22 PM
Orlando Int, Florida, United States
Joined Oct 2004
2,143 Posts
Build Log
Micro SSX Biplane Beta build thread

Hey jkarpy!

I started the Micro SSX Biplane beta kit yesterday, and Im hopefully finishing the airframe (sans covering) today

A few questions before I continue the build though:

1. Which motor mount do I use? The round one with 6 holes, or the oblong one used on the original micro SSX?

2. Which are your favorite servos to use on this plane? Im not sure if I should hack out the larger servo tray cutouts or not yet...

3. I probably asked you this a while ago when you showed us thr prototype, but have you considered aileron linkages to permit the use of one servo for all 4 ailerons? I know youve probably already considered this, and most likely have already tried it, but if not I would give it a go...

Also: variable wing incidence!?!? AWESOME! I really like this concept...

Ive been taking pictures of the build progress; its going quickly especially for not having instructions. For any really puzzling questions I have just been referring to the pictures you posted on the other thread.

Mistakes so far: somehow Ive managed, on BOTH wings, to mount one of the wingtip ribs upside down... no big deal; Ill just trim the spar a bit on one side and fill the slot with a sliver of balsa... definately a "DOH!" moment though... I just wasnt paying enough attention.

-David
hawaiianspork226 is offline Find More Posts by hawaiianspork226
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:06 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,143 Posts
the airframe is assembled! looks awesome naked lol

How long do the carbon interplane struts need to be?

I may start covering tomorrow if I have time...

-David

pics tomorrow
Old Dec 19, 2007, 07:51 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,592 Posts
Go with the Hitec HS-45HB servos. I have them in my Micro SSX and they work great.

John
JohnM is online now Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:08 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiianspork226
Hey jkarpy!

I started the Micro SSX Biplane beta kit yesterday, and Im hopefully finishing the airframe (sans covering) today

A few questions before I continue the build though:

1. Which motor mount do I use? The round one with 6 holes, or the oblong one used on the original micro SSX?

2. Which are your favorite servos to use on this plane? Im not sure if I should hack out the larger servo tray cutouts or not yet...

3. I probably asked you this a while ago when you showed us thr prototype, but have you considered aileron linkages to permit the use of one servo for all 4 ailerons? I know youve probably already considered this, and most likely have already tried it, but if not I would give it a go...

Also: variable wing incidence!?!? AWESOME! I really like this concept...

Ive been taking pictures of the build progress; its going quickly especially for not having instructions. For any really puzzling questions I have just been referring to the pictures you posted on the other thread.

Mistakes so far: somehow Ive managed, on BOTH wings, to mount one of the wingtip ribs upside down... no big deal; Ill just trim the spar a bit on one side and fill the slot with a sliver of balsa... definately a "DOH!" moment though... I just wasnt paying enough attention.

-David
1. Use the round one.
2. Use the smaller one. You can always hack later.
3. I have not tried it yet.

Instructions are here. Please don’t go past the end of the instructions. I have some details I need to post.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772157
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:10 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,019 Posts
Quote:
the airframe is assembled! looks awesome naked lol

How long do the carbon interplane struts need to be?

I may start covering tomorrow if I have time...

-David

pics tomorrow
Did you glue anything to the fuselage yet?

I am working on the remaining instructions.

Man your fast!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2007, 02:17 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,143 Posts
no i didnt glue anything to the fuselage yet; ill wait to glue anything onto it till i get all the guts so i can make sure the CG is gonna be OK

im gonna go ahead and try one aileron servo... why not... if it doesnt work ill just put another in

i started "stitching" the wing skins together on a (rough) template i made... lookin pretty good i think... though the bond between the 2 layers isnt that great... ive got the iron as hot as i can get it without shrinking the film and it still peels off if i want it to... is that how it always is?

-David
Old Dec 21, 2007, 02:40 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,019 Posts
Quote:
no i didnt glue anything to the fuselage yet; ill wait to glue anything onto it till i get all the guts so i can make sure the CG is gonna be OK

im gonna go ahead and try one aileron servo... why not... if it doesnt work ill just put another in

i started "stitching" the wing skins together on a (rough) template i made... lookin pretty good i think... though the bond between the 2 layers isnt that great... ive got the iron as hot as i can get it without shrinking the film and it still peels off if i want it to... is that how it always is?

-David
Yes that is the way it always is. When you pull it from the glass, make sure you pull the bottom piece first. When you apply it to the wing, tack it in place so you get all the wrinkles out. Don’t touch the seams with the iron until it is completely attached to the wing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2007, 03:04 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,143 Posts
k gotcha... ive got both top skins stitched now ill do the bottoms

-David

OH how long are the interplane rods supposed to be??
Old Dec 21, 2007, 03:41 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,019 Posts
Quote:
k gotcha... ive got both top skins stitched now ill do the bottoms

-David

OH how long are the interplane rods supposed to be??
The biplane has 8- 0.060” diameter carbon struts. 4 wing struts, 2 front and 2 center cross struts.

Wing struts: 4.840”
Front struts: 2.675”
Center cross struts: 5.000” (May need to be trimmed during installation)

The cross struts are installed last.

Make sure they bottom out in the slots. Also make sure each set is exactly the same length. Do not install them until all warps are ironed out of the wings.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2007, 04:04 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,143 Posts
k cool! thanks jkarpy

i just wanted to put together a mock-up for a few pics before i cover it and i needed to know the strut length

lookin good; ill post pics soon

-David
Old Dec 21, 2007, 06:58 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,019 Posts
Quote:
build pics thus far; ill take more as i cover

-David
It looks like your build is going well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:14 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,143 Posts
wings and ailerons are now covered

i would have done the tails if i hadnt gotten so many phone calls... oh well ill do them in the AM im too tired now

pics tomorrow too

looks pretty neat so far; i cant wait to see how it looks all put together and covered

-David
Old Dec 22, 2007, 06:43 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,019 Posts
Quote:
covered!

heres some pics

-David
Wow! Looks great! Are you going to have it at the shop tomorrow?
RCG Plus Member