French Polynesia, Windward Islands, Faaa
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Discussion
HELP puting together power system for skateboard, plz

Hey everyone,

A friend of mine just got this skateboard a few days ago:

Pretty neat toy, here are the specs:

Maximum Rider Weight: 260 lbs. Optimized for riders 160 to 225 lbs.
Acceleration: 0-20 MPH in 5 SECONDS!
Braking: 20-0 MPH in approx 40 FT
Turning Radius: 10 FT
Battery Pack: 36 Volt, 36 Amp Hour
Battery Charger: 120/230 Volt, 2 Amp (included)
Charging Time: Approximately 4 hours
Range: 10-12 Miles
Motor: 36 Volts DC, 800 Watt.
Electronics: 300 Kilohertz Digital Frequency
Dimensions: 46"L x 11"W
Weight: 65 lbs
Trucks: Exkate Ground Control torsion trucks
Wheels: Exkate Trail Blaster wheels w/ 9" Pneumatic Tires
Controller: Wireless controller for acceleration & braking. Multiple speed switch w/ 3 settings

Ok I've put in bold what is of interest.

It uses 3 very heavy lead acid of some sort 12V batteries in series to go up to 36V.

Would it be possible to switch those for LiPo and also switch the engine for a brushless one with a good RC Car ESC since thats pretty much what that skate is. I tried looking it up but am not literate enough with motor volts/watts and KV lol.

I figured a couple of classic LiPo packs in series would go up to the needed voltage and there is most likely some electric motors for big planes that would fit the task

Also any idea on a nice and small car radio to use instead of the cheap one that comes with the skate?

Thanks for any help guys, cause there is no way I would figure this one myself
Nek is offline Find More Posts by Nek
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2007, 03:50 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
Man, 36v is getting into 9 or 10 series lipo, depending on how you measure it. The 36Ah part is going to be the killer. Even with el-cheapo lipos, you'll be looking at a grand ($1,000) for the packs I'd imagine. The motor and controller will be nothing compared to that.

Looking at Tanic Packs (not the cheapest, but I'm sure you'll be flooded with guys selling cheap stuff here directly), they have a 3650 mah 5S pack for $225. You'd need 20 of those, a mere $4500 for a 10S 36.5Ah pack.

True RC has some 5000 mah 5S packs for $110. You'd only need 14 of those to get a 10S 35Ah pack. So a bargain at $1540.
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:04 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,154 Posts
Suggest a Looong Extension cord.
Reality is that thing will be dead by Easter in any event. Hardly worth spending thought let alone $ on.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Dec 18, 2007, 06:39 PM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,641 Posts
Good lord. That's alot of battery. You could to A123cells. A 10s dewalt 36v pack is $100 at 2.3Ah, you would only need about 14 of them, unless you were willing to go for lower capacity. So, about $1400 or more than double the price of the whole unit.
You could use 12 x 12v9.6Ah power wheels batteries, but that's probably like 90 pounds of battery, but it would only cost $600 to do it. Probably your best bet is keeping that thing stock. I would probably not mess with the brushless motor and esc route. They probably have the power system pretty well figured out and robust. You would have to figure out how to control the brushless motor. Are you going to put a receiver on it, and carry a transmitter with you to drive it? You could use a servo tester to create the throttle signal, but don't know of any that are wireless. Modifying this seems like a no win situation. Alot more money and probably not as good as the original setup. Just my 2 cents.
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old Dec 18, 2007, 06:40 PM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,641 Posts
If you do modify it though, please post pics. I would love to see what you do.
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:25 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I ran into the same cost problem with an electric scooter I got for almost nothing, but had bad batteries... The SLA batteries are a whole bunch cheaper at this size and capacity, since weight is not such an issue.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:11 PM
Nek
DIY O.G.
French Polynesia, Windward Islands, Faaa
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys!!! I knew there would be a problem in getting the amps haha

The skate already uses a wireless remote gun just like the ones for cheap RC cars with a built in brake too, pretty nice. So I figured it would be just like an RC car using an ESC right?

The thing was just SOOOOO heavy I thought there had to be a lighter setup hehe

thanks anyways, if I end up moding it power wise I'll be sure to update
Nek is offline Find More Posts by Nek
Old Mar 04, 2008, 07:37 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Oct 2004
244 Posts
Can someone recommend a motor and ESC combo that would be comparable to this skateboard setup?
Cheers!
rcworm is offline Find More Posts by rcworm
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:36 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Oct 2004
244 Posts
Can someone recommend a brushed ESC that can control a 450W motor with 24Volt input? Or do these exists? I have an Exkate Raptor 4.0 (http://www.exkate.com/raptor_4.0.htm) and the circuit board (ESC/ receiver) just fried on me so I am thinking of replacing the electronics with a RC car transmitter and ESC.
Your suggestions/comments are gratefully appreciated.
Thanks!
Ian
rcworm is offline Find More Posts by rcworm
Last edited by rcworm; Jul 18, 2008 at 11:59 PM.