Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:10 PM
Joined Aug 2007
27 Posts
Discussion
Help on low power problem with blade cx2

I moved on to other things, building a trex 450, able to do decent tricks such as inverted and such with my cp pro, sadly the cp pro has a lot of draw backs, but its a wonderful trainer.

Its winter in canada, so flying outside is not always something that can be done, high winds, snow, or when its melting its slush everywhere. I pulled out my blade cx2 that started my true love with r/c helis(before it i did not know how much fun it can be).

However when i throttled it up it would only run about 2 inchs off the ground at max power, i thought it was the batterys(i have two), charged both, and it would still only go about 2 inchs off the ground - i noticed the motors were VERY hot, i have a heat sync installed, and even when flying it outside carrying a camera it was not this hot in the middle of summer.

I replaced the motors, still gets very hot, and it still wont come more then 2 inchs off the ground.

Could this be the 4in1(i have an older cx2), or could it be another issue? Just thought i would ask for advise here before replacing that hoping i missed something, it would be a shame to have my cx2 grounded for good.
Soldierofroses is offline Find More Posts by Soldierofroses
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:47 PM
Joined Aug 2007
27 Posts
No one has any ideas what would be causing this?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 06:03 PM
Californication
Joined Nov 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldierofroses
I moved on to other things, building a trex 450, able to do decent tricks such as inverted and such with my cp pro, sadly the cp pro has a lot of draw backs, but its a wonderful trainer.

Its winter in canada, so flying outside is not always something that can be done, high winds, snow, or when its melting its slush everywhere. I pulled out my blade cx2 that started my true love with r/c helis(before it i did not know how much fun it can be).

However when i throttled it up it would only run about 2 inchs off the ground at max power, i thought it was the batterys(i have two), charged both, and it would still only go about 2 inchs off the ground - i noticed the motors were VERY hot, i have a heat sync installed, and even when flying it outside carrying a camera it was not this hot in the middle of summer.

I replaced the motors, still gets very hot, and it still wont come more then 2 inchs off the ground.

Could this be the 4in1(i have an older cx2), or could it be another issue? Just thought i would ask for advise here before replacing that hoping i missed something, it would be a shame to have my cx2 grounded for good.
Yes the CP pro has some horrible drawbacks, all due to the radio. There simply isn't anything one can adjust other than gyro gain and throtle mid-point in idle-up. That's it. With a very hot cyclic out of the box and no expo available, most give up on these. When I put mine on my DX7 with a 6100, entirely different and much more fun machine. Whatever radio you bought for your Trex, use it on the CP pro and it is entirely manageble even in the living room.

Based on the steps you have taken (and assuming that it is not doing piros throttling up), it does sound like the 4-in-1. They simply start doing this out of the blue one day, probably due to thermal degradation of components. E-Flite knows all about these failures by going to the EFLH3010 (CP/ CPP 3-in-1) and 6100E on the newest CX2s. The 4-in-1 must have always been marginal for the application,or they would not have spent the coin to get rid of a standard and use two discrete components to replace.

Regards
rbinc is offline Find More Posts by rbinc
Old Dec 18, 2007, 06:39 PM
+ Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam +
San Bruno, CA
Joined Aug 2007
483 Posts
Before you go out and spend your hard-earned money on a new 4-in-1 for your CX2, it may be worthwhile to take the heli and do a complete teardown, cleanup, and rebuild from scratch. The problem may simply be some binding somewhere in the driveline that is not readily apparent, especially if the heli was sitting idle for a while. From experience, I know that my heli's fly best right after a complete overhaul.

I bought a used FP that had apparently been sitting for awhile, and it had similar problems. After some tweaking and a little bit of lubrication on the motors and bearings, everything loosened up and it's now flying great (I wish I could say the same about my piloting skills; I'm still working on it ).

Anyway, it's worth a shot before throwing more money at the problem. Good luck!
Ramon Z is offline Find More Posts by Ramon Z
Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:09 PM
Western Jersey
Joined Sep 2001
263 Posts
I had the same issue. In August after 100's of flight one fine day it would only fly 2 inch off the ground at full throttle. Last week I re charged my batteries and flew in basement. It flies up to 8 foot (ceiling) but takes almost full throttle. I thought is was the darn brushed motor. But now it flies to 8 feet ? The Lipo charges complete to 4.2 V so it is not battery. Brush motors do not come back to life. So it is not the motor. That leaves the transmitter issue or 4 in 1. How do I decide ? all help is appreciated.

PS In my basement I could hit the ceiling at 25% throttle. Now I fly steady but takes full throttle to ceiling. Flying time has not decreased at all. Same amount of minutes.
SportsFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SportsFlyer
Old Dec 18, 2007, 08:25 PM
Californication
Joined Nov 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
The problem may simply be some binding somewhere in the driveline that is not readily apparent, especially if the heli was sitting idle for a while. From experience, I know that my heli's fly best right after a complete overhaul.
With all due respect, any binding in the "driveline", will immediately show up in a heli that piros out of control because the 3-in-1/4-in-1 can no longer compensate and control proportional mixing. This is why I asked if the heli was doing piros prior to liftoff.

"Overhauling" the heli in such a case is probably not the best time spent.

Best Regards
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:27 PM
San Bruno, CA
Joined Aug 2007
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinc
With all due respect, any binding in the "driveline", will immediately show up in a heli that piros out of control because the 3-in-1/4-in-1 can no longer compensate and control proportional mixing. This is why I asked if the heli was doing piros prior to liftoff.

"Overhauling" the heli in such a case is probably not the best time spent.

Best Regards
Uh, okay ... Sorry about my amateurish attempt to help. I'm not an expert like the rest of you.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:09 PM
Californication
Joined Nov 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon Z
Uh, okay ... Sorry about my amateurish attempt to help. I'm not an expert like the rest of you.
Please. No one is suggesting that you are an amateur. Get a thicker skin.

Only recommending what I know from experience.

Happy Holidays.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:36 PM
San Bruno, CA
Joined Aug 2007
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinc
Only recommending what I know from experience.
That's exactly what I did as well ...
Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:04 PM
Joined Aug 2007
27 Posts
I did overhaul it just to clean it up, used a light machine oil, oiled all the moving parts, the motors are new, just picked them up yesterday.

Going to try to rebind it to the controler in hopes that it that might help, just have to find the bind plug, however a small wire will work just as well there.

One thing i noticed, i have to run it at 100% throttle just to get it off the ground it also makes the motors VERY hot, i burned my self on them a few hours ago, they never got this hot after 3 full batteys of use with no pause between flying besides the time it takes to replace them. This could be caused by the lack of wind made by the prop's, but it seems out of place.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:50 PM
Californication
Joined Nov 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
I did overhaul it just to clean it up, used a light machine oil, oiled all the moving parts, the motors are new, just picked them up yesterday.

Going to try to rebind it to the controler in hopes that it that might help, just have to find the bind plug, however a small wire will work just as well there.

One thing i noticed, i have to run it at 100% throttle just to get it off the ground it also makes the motors VERY hot, i burned my self on them a few hours ago, they never got this hot after 3 full batteys of use with no pause between flying besides the time it takes to replace them. This could be caused by the lack of wind made by the prop's, but it seems out of place.

Bad 4-in-1. Ohm's law. Replace the 4-in-1.

Regards
Old Dec 19, 2007, 01:26 AM
Joined Aug 2007
27 Posts
Seems that way, was hoping it was something other then that, i am building a 450trex and i wanted to use the money on that, and not replacement parts for my cx2.

I will see about picking one up tomorrow, and will report if it works or not, if its a failure i will post a video of how its acting, to see if anyone can see something i missed.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 02:50 PM
Joined Aug 2007
27 Posts
I was thinking about this problem today, what would be involved in converting the cx2 to a dsm7, i am picking up a dsm7 controler later in the week it might just be easer to convert it to dsm7 and cost about the same considering that a new 4-1 might cost about the same as the hardware to convert it(not counting the controler its self).
Old Dec 19, 2007, 03:02 PM
Californication
Joined Nov 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
I was thinking about this problem today, what would be involved in converting the cx2 to a dsm7, i am picking up a dsm7 controler later in the week it might just be easer to convert it to dsm7 and cost about the same considering that a new 4-1 might cost about the same as the hardware to convert it(not counting the controler its self).
If you mean a DX7 Spektrum radio, use the EFLH 1031 3-in-1 with a Spektrum 6100. It'll run you about a hundred for both, but the 6100 will always work with whatever model you want to use with your DX7 and the 3-in-1 should never burn out again. This is what E-Flite ships in the newest CX2s. They use a 6100E RX only because the servos plug in on the edge instead of perpendicular on the 6100.

Regards
Old Dec 19, 2007, 04:16 PM
Joined Aug 2007
27 Posts
Sorry mixed up dsm and dx