HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2007, 05:30 PM
Mayflower AR 24m WNW of Little Rock
Joined Mar 2007
231 Posts
Discussion
Carbon fiber spars/? methods of fabricating

I'm going to build a set of wings for Grand Esprit using carbon fiber spars on inside panels.

It has been suggested to use finishing resin thickened with cabisol to adhere the spars to the balsa fillers. I cannot find a source for cabisol locally and on the internet I'd have to buy a "lifetime" supply.

Looking for one of two things:
1) alternate methods of adhesives
2) someone sell me less than a "lifetime" supply of cabisol

TIA

Stan
Stan_in_AR is offline Find More Posts by Stan_in_AR
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2007, 02:02 PM
UK, Coventry
Joined Aug 2005
533 Posts
I am assuming you are using ready made carbon spars here.
You're problem is that under load the cardon may peel away from the wood carrier.
Personally I have always used plain unthickened finishing resin to adhere the carbon.
If you can, bind the carbon to the spar using kevlar thread. This will make the whole lot stiffer and prevent the carbon from pealing away from the wood carrier.
Try looking at how the freeflight guys do their carbon spars.
mhodgson is offline Find More Posts by mhodgson