HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2007, 02:20 AM
Joined Dec 2007
7 Posts
Discussion
Using silicon grease?

Hey guys, is it okay to use silicon based grease on the gears and possibly motors of these micro heli's? silicon grease is easier on plastics and rubbers. Or should I use a synthetic blend car motor oil?
johnny13oi is offline Find More Posts by johnny13oi
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2007, 02:39 AM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
I would say silicon grease and oil is the way to go. BTW, where do you get it?
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Dec 17, 2007, 03:11 AM
Joined Dec 2007
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen@lanset.com
I would say silicon grease and oil is the way to go. BTW, where do you get it?
Well, silicon grease as I am aware, is also known as bulb grease for car light bulbs. It can easily bought in auto parts stores as bulb grease for about $1 a packet which should last for a while as it doesn't require much to lube things up.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 03:19 AM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Now there is something I did not know. Bulb grease.

I have seen heli manufacturers advise RC'ers to use silicon grease and oil. Bulb grease is the grease; now we need to source the oil.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 03:22 AM
Piro-maniac
Aiken, SC
Joined Feb 2007
1,262 Posts
Careful using non-dry lube on the pinion/main gear. I put some silicon spray there and some worked it's way under the motor. Took me days to find out why the motor kept sliding and then well over an hour with alcohol pads and paper napkins to clean it all off.
shizack is offline Find More Posts by shizack
Old Dec 17, 2007, 03:26 AM
Metal Magician
Loughborough Leics England
Joined Sep 2002
708 Posts
Silicon Oil is available at most gun shops. I have a little bottle for use on the seals in my target Air pistol (We aren't considered mature enough to play with real pistols in the UK... )

Dave
small.planes is offline Find More Posts by small.planes
Old Dec 17, 2007, 03:30 AM
Got toys?
pearl city, hi
Joined Feb 2005
714 Posts
i have several kinds of lubricants in my toolbox...tri-flow, hitec servo gear grease, silicon spray, etc., but the one i use most for my helis is this one--mostly because of the convenience...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...rt&tab=summary
kenhiraihnl is offline Find More Posts by kenhiraihnl
Old Dec 17, 2007, 09:55 AM
Dragonus II Plus
Outside Philly
Joined Jun 2007
786 Posts
I was always told to be careful how much grease if any to use on any exposed gears becuase it has a habit of collecting dirt and debri in it that can get kinda messy. Although That would probably only really apply to the non-drying types of grease
Realmkaos is offline Find More Posts by Realmkaos
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:11 AM
Joined Dec 2007
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realmkaos
I was always told to be careful how much grease if any to use on any exposed gears becuase it has a habit of collecting dirt and debri in it that can get kinda messy. Although That would probably only really apply to the non-drying types of grease
Well the kind that I have doesn't dry up and the gears are very exposed. I didn't know that there were types of grease that dried up. Seems to kind of ruin the purpose?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:54 AM
Dragonus II Plus
Outside Philly
Joined Jun 2007
786 Posts
Sorry what I meant was that alot of spray greases tend not to be as sticky and kind of have a dry feel to them as opposed to a thicker grease in a tube etc...alot of them have the consistency of Petrolium Jelly. They are the ones I was thinking about getting dirt and stuff stuck in it.
Realmkaos is offline Find More Posts by Realmkaos
Last edited by Realmkaos; Dec 17, 2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:45 PM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
I don't use lubricant on the motor pinion and main gear. I do use oil in all ball bearings and the bushing that rides on the main shaft in the Trex 450. I use grease in servo gear trains when I rebuild them. The swash plate ball might be another place for a dab of light grease.

I have seen a few guys talk about WD40, sailkote, and silicon grease on tail belts. I do not use anything on mine but if I did it would be silicon.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 08:55 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
The main gear/pinion doesn't need any lube. Any lube you put on will be throw off making a mess and collect dirt and grit which will eat up your gears.

You need some light oil on the main shaft where the washout block and swash slide. Lube the swash ball, again with light oil, and the tail shaft where the slider runs.

Silicone oil on the belt. I use RC car shock oil. Pure silicone oil and easy to find and control.

The only grease used on RC helis is in the bearings. And on micros, good luck of re greasing the bearings. I do the main bearings my my Trex, and more bearings on larger helis using "The Greaser" from Pete's Hobbies.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Dec 18, 2007, 01:41 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,176 Posts
White lithium grease is what they use in stock servo gears. I'd be leary about using the heavier greases especially in the cold as it can get very stiff. Ball brgs don't like heavier grease either as there is a lot of friction at high speed.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Dec 18, 2007, 02:24 PM
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
What viscosity grease do you think is appropriate for ball bearings and servo gears?
Old Dec 24, 2007, 05:38 PM
Joined Sep 2004
652 Posts
Petroleum-based grease (oil) will nuke plastic parts. Lithium grease is probably best for sealed parts (buy CV-joint grease at the autoparts store, it wont eat plastic/rubber as it's designed to come in contact with the rubber cv-joint boot in your car).

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned graphite dust? from a #2 pencil?

edfardos
edfardos is offline Find More Posts by edfardos