HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:42 AM
"Cracking Toast Grommit!"
Sanford, NC
Joined Feb 2005
679 Posts
Discussion
Xmas dinner, What are you having?

Just wondered if anyone is varying from turkey.
Me, I'm having a roast goose.
We tried our first one last Christmas, real good.
metalbuggy is offline Find More Posts by metalbuggy
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:49 AM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,198 Posts
Fresh local Dungeness Crab, homemade Clam Chowder, a tossed green salad and hot fresh baked French bread. It's a long standing family tradition.

Makes me hungry just thinking about it.....
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Dec 17, 2007, 01:00 AM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
Fresh papaya with lemon, hand squeezed OJ, and brewis with cod fish for 22 people served in a very large koa calabash. Between 7 and 10 bottles of champagne, and one gallon of coffee.
Christmas breakfast with my extended family.

Any Newfys out there??
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Last edited by Eljimb0; Dec 17, 2007 at 01:07 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 17, 2007, 04:56 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,165 Posts
We have Christmas breakfast, usually around noon. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, home made biscuits, Sorghum syrup, and orange slices with espresso after, the one or two times a year we actually use the espresso machine. Usually we gather and unwrap the gifts in our stockings (yes, the wife's tradition to wrap all the little stocking things) then have breakfast, then open the other gifts. Usually for dinner it is a sandwich or something, the breakfast stays with you for quite some time.

My last Christmas at home, so I will be more aware of it I presume. Next year, the single guy's Christmas. Although my sister invited me to go to NYC this year with her and her attractive friend, maybe next year something as tempting will come along. Although if my track record is pretext, I might be sitting alone eating chocolate. Seems these choices of having too many possibilities are often followed by very few choices. YMMV
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Dec 17, 2007, 05:14 AM
Vertical Wake
visalia ca
Joined Dec 2002
734 Posts
I guess I'm just going to warm up a Swanson frozen turkey dinner. I'm single again. I always try to end relationships before Christmas. That way I don't have to buy her a gift.
splatman is offline Find More Posts by splatman
Old Dec 17, 2007, 07:27 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,165 Posts
I recommend the Stouffer's frozen lasagne.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 07:34 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop
We have Christmas breakfast, usually around noon. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, home made biscuits, Sorghum syrup, and orange slices with espresso

the breakfast stays with you for quite some time.

A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Dec 17, 2007, 07:35 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Glen Forrest, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
Prolly, roast bunyip, if we can catch a decent sized one before Christmas Eve....but they're pretty tricky this time of year and the bigger ones can play serious consequence games with you if you're not watchful around dusk at the waterhole. Last year there were several nasty incidents when the bunyip hunters were surrounded after tracking the 'yips too late in the evening. As soon as darkness falls - and this is quite sudden in Oz; no green tropical sun flash, just almost instant black when a moment before, the shapes of bunyips could be seen silhouetted against "the bush" - they have the advantage of superb IR night vision (no goggles) and the hunters become the hunted.

They are so adept at camouflage, coupled with a peculiar ability to shield their own heat emissions that they are really only possible prey to the very experienced hunter and unfortunately few reach that point of expertise. The proportion of those falling victim in their attempt to provide a truly memorial Xmas dinner and those that succeed is less than 5%. Of those that come unstuck in the hunt and those that disappear without trace, again the proportion is about the same - rarely are the remains of unsuccessful hunters ever recovered, but the recounted tales of those that survived a bunyip attack are terrifying. These sort of attacks on humans have on occasion turned victims white haired over night and in some cases struck completely dumb for several years - by then the passage of time has thankfully faded their memories.

So, all in all, whilst bunyip is the most exotic of Xmas dishes, it is certainly the most difficult to acquire - a bit like the legendary truffle, except that it's quick, deceptive, virtually undetectable and BITES back. Very nice however with roast potatoes.
Sirion is offline Find More Posts by Sirion
Last edited by Sirion; Dec 17, 2007 at 08:02 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 07:36 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer
a tossed green salad

Makes me hungry just thinking about it.....

I'm looking for someone to toss my salad for Christmas.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Dec 17, 2007, 07:53 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,023 Posts
Whatever the Mum-in-Law cooks...probably roast beef and 'taters.....Breakfast will be the biggie, similar to TT's, but with Ham gravy instead of sorghum......and me and the Father in Law will be fighting over the Tobasco sauce...again!
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:15 AM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,780 Posts
Fried wild turkey. The boys shot several this season. Maby a bottle of wild turkey to go with it.

Tom
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Dec 17, 2007, 08:53 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
Some big beef roast on Christmas Eve and Roast Beef Hash with eggs Christmas Morning.

I don't know which one I like best!
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Dec 17, 2007, 09:13 AM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
Although I prefer home cooked food, on holidays I take my daughter to the local restraints that will offer vegetarian or at least lots of fruits and veggies.

Eat out and movie on Christmas eve. Eat out again Christmas day.

Sure miss the family get togetherness of past. And old friends that moved in all directions.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Dec 17, 2007, 09:14 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
It will be a baked ham, and if I get really ambitious, perhaps a deep-fried whole cajun marinated chicken or duck, just for some variety.

There will be green bean casserole, fresh baked sweet potatoes slathered in butter and honey, corn on the cob, fresh corn bread, cranberry sauce, and a couple of different homemade pies for dessert.

I have no idea what my girlfriend is going to be having.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Dec 17, 2007, 09:30 AM
sensitive artsy type
Joined Feb 2004
3,165 Posts
Quote:
with Ham gravy instead of sorghum......and me and the Father in Law will be fighting over the Tobasco sauce...again! - Twizter68
Man, I haven't had ham gravy or cream gravy since my Mom died over ten years ago!. Also, creamed corn is good on the biscuits. Mmm.

You could give your father in law his own bottle of Tabasco sauce, all wrapped up and everything just before sitting down to eat.