HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2007, 05:44 PM
Foam Master
Joined Nov 2007
845 Posts
Build Log
My A-10 build log

Hi everyone this is going to be my build log. The main reason I am making a build log is to show the steps that I made to build a awesome A-10. The first thing youíll notice is that I cut the canopy out because the stock battery bay is a joke. I hope my pictures and build log help or inspire more people to build this awesome plane.
anyairrc is offline Find More Posts by anyairrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2007, 05:48 PM
Effumall
Joined Nov 2005
3,619 Posts
Is this the GWS A-10??
kelberts is offline Find More Posts by kelberts
Old Dec 16, 2007, 06:06 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
it looks like the GWS A-10....what size EDF... if your running 55 EDF get the 6 blades...
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Dec 16, 2007, 07:00 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City, PA
Joined Sep 2007
955 Posts
As for the wing tip shipping damage, that happes on the first landing anyways. I'd take the wingtips and paint both surfaces with epoxy. Seemed to stop mine from breaking off.
Bill Covert is offline Find More Posts by Bill Covert
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:24 PM
Foam Master
Joined Nov 2007
845 Posts
I am going to F/G the wing tips and lots of other places on this plane no big deal. As for the fan blades they were 55mm 6 blades, I cut every other one off to bring down the amps to just within the motor limit. They still have ton of thrust and the plane will have 242 watts once the battery levels off at 11 volts.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 03:08 PM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
any progress?
i'm doing the same thing with the brushless conversion.
i flew it twice on stock motors and the recommended battery. bit slow for my taste as i got spoiled with the eurofighter.
as far as fg, i have not done this at all and was wondering where to get the materials? if you have specific name brands that would make shopping easier.
last a10 took a couple of lawn dart manuevers and i repaired it but the last one it seemed that it shattered into a lot of pieces and the wind blowing as much as it was i didn't bother chasing the small pieces.
wings were unharmed but the main fues is RIP. nacelss were kind enough to donate themselves to other planes.
TIA.
note to self......quit flying in very windy conditions....
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951
Old Dec 17, 2007, 03:33 PM
Joined Dec 2006
209 Posts
a 10

thursday thursday we want to see it fly thursday
lol
newtohelis is offline Find More Posts by newtohelis
Old Dec 17, 2007, 03:54 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,440 Posts
On mine, I cut some 3/16" wide carbon fiber strips, used a razor saw to slot the bottom of the wing tip, and slid the carbon fiber strips into the slots and CA'd. Now any wintip that contacts the runway, hits on the carbon fiber, that prevents any runway rash on the wingtips, and doesn't add much weight.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Covert
As for the wing tip shipping damage, that happes on the first landing anyways. I'd take the wingtips and paint both surfaces with epoxy. Seemed to stop mine from breaking off.
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Natter
Old Dec 17, 2007, 04:58 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyairrc
Hi everyone this is going to be my build log. The main reason I am making a build log is to show the steps that I made to build a awesome A-10. The first thing youíll notice is that I cut the canopy out because the stock battery bay is a joke. I hope my pictures and build log help or inspire more people to build this awesome plane.
What kv park 370 inrunners are you using?

Although you said you get 121watts per motor when tested, you wont get 242 watts combined from one battery unless your using a high C rated one like a 30C 2200 or larger.....especially after the battery levels off.
I had the same setup.....using the park 370-4200 and did get 123 watts per motor, but when combined, it peaked at 212 at first and when battery leveled off, it was down to 189 watts. This was using a 20c 3s 2200. With a 15C TP 2100 pro-lite, the initial watts were only 205 and dropped to 181.
The plane flew ok sure, but dont expect it to be fast. Adding fiberglass is good, but will also add weight a little.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Dec 17, 2007, 05:40 PM
Foam Master
Joined Nov 2007
845 Posts
The 121 was when the battery (FP EVO25 1800) leveled off after 2.5 mins of WOT. I am useing the 370's because I have a matching pair 3600 kv, I never ran two motors so we will see. I cut the stock 6 blade down to 3 blades and now the motors are at their max amps 11 after the battery levels off about 15 amps on a fresh pack. If it is two slow I'll open up the fans with some 400's, I am going to make the fan very serviceable but now I am working on the wing, will post some more pictures tonight!!!!
Old Dec 18, 2007, 01:25 AM
Warbird Junkie
Joined Jan 2007
293 Posts
Hey there, noticed your project.

I just finished mine, so I'll share some knowledge.

I'm using the GWS brushless motors (3900kv) with a 2050mah 20C 3S. I re-enforced the engine housing with carbon fiber spars.

Word of advise, when y lost battery and dumped in the grass, it broke in half right behind the wing, right where that bamboo stick ends. My friends A-10 broke in exactly the same place. I recommend epoxying carbon spars on the inside running the length of the plane.

I didn't fiberglass, but I sanded and painted. Here are some pics and a video of it's maiden flight.

GWS A-10 Maiden Flight Brushless RC Success! (1 min 56 sec)
woody429924 is offline Find More Posts by woody429924
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:34 AM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
does someone sell counter rotating rotors for the edf55?
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951
Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:13 AM
Foam Master
Joined Nov 2007
845 Posts
Hey guess what I did?? I setup my DX7 for differential thrust; my rudder stick varies the motor speed between the two motors giving me yaw. I have tried it on the carpet and it works great!!! Since I used two different ESCs I had to have some offset in the programming but I canít believe it works!!! I have attached pictures of my programming (use at your own risk I havenít used it before). I am going to make another mix to turn this function off so I can try it real high up first lol.