Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 16, 2007, 05:54 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Aug 2007
856 Posts
Build Log
Hyperion Piper Cub 25e (ARF) Super Scale Wood Plan

I tried to find some information and detail of this model before ordering but there was not much on web.
Then I found a thread with same quastion and all I found was in there so this is for who want to know about this plane, I wish it can help.
Talajouy is offline Find More Posts by Talajouy
Last edited by Talajouy; Jan 17, 2008 at 02:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:11 AM
Suspended Account
Upper U.S.
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talajouy
I tried to find some information and detail of this model before ordering but there was not much on web.
Then I found a thread with same quastion and all I found was in there so this is for who want to know about this plane, I wish it can help.
Just finished mine-what do you want to know?
Sisyphus is offline Find More Posts by Sisyphus
Old Apr 11, 2009, 12:07 AM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,539 Posts
I know no one has re-visited this thread for a long time but I just have to add, even if no one reads it, that this little plane flies as sweet as they come, and with the stock recommended motor this little guy will vertical just a bit less than my ElectriFly Edge 540T with it's 80 amp motor...

The flaps are fabulous but I did have to mix 15% and 30% down elevator to the 2 positions on the flaps to stop the ballooning... I added 3" Dubro Cub tires which added 1.5 ounces but you would never know it... I need bigger tires for the bumpy 88 acre grass field I and many others fly off...

I also mixed 25% rudder into my ailerons and she makes the most wonderful turns now... Half throttle to full throttle rolls are simply beautiful...

This Cub 25E could easily carry a large HD camcorder, or camera, as the power is more than available... I'm also getting really long flights on my 3S Lipo and she climbs so fast it will be out of sight within just seconds... Yesterday I took her up almost to where I couldn't see her and powered off my throttle then inverted her... I floated and floated for easily 5 minutes up there, finally bringing her down to do other things... I couldn't help but wonder if I hadn't caught a big thermal as she just didn't want to come down... Sorry I know this isn't scale flying...

The build was great and she balances perfect... I just had to say how pleased I am with this little 55" Bush Cub... The larger 3" tires are not in this pic but do not look oversized or wrong in any way, and what a difference on bumpy fields... My Cub is airborne within 3 feet at between 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and full flaps...

This plane is a just blast to fly and has been totally trustworthy at both fast and slow speeds... I've tested her many times now up around 100' slowing way down and just keep adding elevator to hover a bit, with no flaps, trying to see any tip drop and mine just falls lightly foreword every time... I land with a touch of throttle it seems every time and I've put her down right at my feet...

I just haven't seen any bad habits with this little Cub so hats off to Hyperion for this very high quality Bush Cub and power combo package...

There now I feel better... ha.
bnick
bnick2k8 is offline Find More Posts by bnick2k8
Old Apr 12, 2009, 01:47 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I used 40% aileron->rudder mix for my plane. It seems like it could use more?
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Apr 12, 2009, 08:38 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,539 Posts
Eagle777...

Hey thanks for writing I didn't think anyone read this thread anymore... ha.

I've just returned to RC since being away from around the early 80's which now is like 25 to 29 years ago... I flew Pattern planes from about 1969 to 1982 then as my kids got into their teens I was so busy with everything and RC just went to the back burner...

This last fall my grandson wanted to get into a cheap RC helicopter which we got for him but I walked out the door with a new Spectrum DX7 and an ElectriFly Edge 540T 3D plane and dropped a check for a grand when we were just going to buy a $28 helicopter for him...

I have been totally amazed with where RC has come with all the gas and electric planes and engines out there as well as mixing which we could never do years ago...

I picked up the Hyperion Bush Cub and have been having a ball with it... I mixed my Rudder with Ailerons to the 25% mark just as a trial but now that you have said you use 40% I'll give it a try... Seems I read somewhere people mixed a 1 to 1 ratio for some planes... I guess they mean for ever 50% of aileron the rudder gets 50% too... Does that seem like too much to you or could that work...?

bnick
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:07 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
The mix % depends on several variables, such as how much travel you have on each surface... The point is, you may have 45 throws on the ailerons and only 30 throw on the rudder, where someone else could have it different.

Just mix it in until you counteract the inherant adverse yaw which makes a Cub a Cub If it gets in the way of rolls, then add a disable switch
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Apr 15, 2009, 01:45 AM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,539 Posts
Gene Bond...

Thanks for the good advice... I was wondering about using a disable switch just for this, but haven't tried it yet... I was pretty impressed with how nice the rolls are with this cub before I started mixing rudder into my ailerons... I never exceeded 25% on the rudder add so it didn't impact too much but I did notice it, and right where you said it would be in the rolls, so a disable switch makes sense... Now if the promised good weather would just arrive...

Thanks,
bnick
Old Apr 17, 2009, 05:23 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,539 Posts
In the name of continued documenting this little Hiperion Bush Cub Version 25E, I have to report the this little plane is really built and takes punishment very well...

Last night and after probably a dozen wonderful flights with this plane I had a right wing aileron HiTec HS-81 (Nylon Gear) servo somehow jumped it's centered position to a new center which kicked in at least 1/2" of down deflection on the right wing...

I was about 45' high turning slowly towards my final for landing... Once that center changed the down deflection caused the plane to spiral down, and trying to override the strong left banking was futile...

I couldn't believe, as we all do at times, how fast it all happened... So my little pristine Hyperion Cub 25E nosed in almost straight down into a flock of resting Canadian Geese, who were not impressed with my flying skills to say the least... I figure she was flying downward at probably 20 to 25 mph...

I expected broken wings and a ruined fuselage but when I walked over the only damage was a broken cowl, both blades of my 11x5.5 APC prop broken off, and the right side of my main landing gear was bent a just a touch...

I couldn't believe how much impact that whole plane took and yet 99% of that plane was not affected in the slightest...

I ordered a new cowl and replaced the prop... I bent the gear back in my vice in less than a minute and now she's ready but I still don't know how a Nylon gear servo can jump it's teeth without stripping them as I've also seen happen with these HS-81 Nylon servos...

I opened the servo and used a loupe to check each gear very closely and there is no sign of stripping or wear, yet in bench testing the servo it jumps and changes it's center under minimal binding load from me just holding the aileron slightly rigid to imply a bind... The actual aileron was super free in it's movement yet that HS-81 somehow jumps it's center not just one tooth by many to cause a 1/2" deflection... I'll talk to HiTec they are really good about their service as we all know...

I think I'm going to just spend the dollars and pick up 3 more, HS-81 Metal Gear Ball Bearing, servos like the one I have in the Hyperion's Elevator right now... I had to replace the original elevator HS-81 Nylon servo already because it stripped it's gears on a dried up drip of CA that I accidentally dripped onto the elevator and which bound the down movement so that one was my fault, but this jumping center on my aileron servo concerns me because the gears are not stripped so how is it jumping under such light loading...? Anyone have any ideas...?

It is still amazing this little plane survived so well from 45' straight into a school ground... When building I added additional reinforcement to the gear area and epoxied all motor mounts areas to add strength but she is still a very strong little plane...

bnick
Old Apr 17, 2009, 05:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2009
758 Posts
It's a great platform for a123, 4s batteries, too! (2300 mah)
Mighty Manfred is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Manfred
Old Apr 17, 2009, 05:32 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,539 Posts
Mighty Manfred...

Boy I cannot imagine how fast a 4S would make this thing because my 2500 3S is really fast as it is... She climbs fast at easily 70 degrees and never stops climbing till I stop her... I'm so lucky I didn't lose her last night...

bnick
Old Apr 17, 2009, 07:43 PM
Lost in space
Jupiter FL.
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnick2k8

Last night and after probably a dozen wonderful flights with this plane I had a right wing aileron HiTec HS-81 (Nylon Gear) servo somehow jumped it's centered position to a new center which kicked in at least 1/2" of down deflection on the right wing...
bnick
I had the same thing happen with an HS 81 , turns out it was the servo horn slipping not the gears. Replaced the horn and all was good.
jupiter1 is offline Find More Posts by jupiter1
Old Apr 17, 2009, 07:46 PM
Lost in space
Jupiter FL.
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Manfred
It's a great platform for a123, 4s batteries, too! (2300 mah)

Did you modify the battery tray to fit the 4s 2300 a123 ? I can just fit a 4s 1100 a123 in my Hyperion Cub 25 .
jupiter1 is offline Find More Posts by jupiter1
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2009
758 Posts
No, sort of...mine are "shotgun" in shape, or two by two, and, initially, my "homemade" packs barely fit, but when I bought an MEC powertube it was necessary to slightly "enlarge" or open the former where they go in.

It's tight, but now the MEC fits and the hand-rolled batteries fit!

So, to directly respond to your question, no modifications were made to the battery tray, and slight modifications were made to one former: I have 300 to 400 flights on this airframe with these batteries and modifications.
Mighty Manfred is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Manfred
Old Apr 17, 2009, 09:37 PM
Portland, Oregon
Joined Aug 2008
1,539 Posts
Mighty Manfred...

I just wanted to ask are you close to where they call for the CG to be on this Cub 25E...? When mine was right on where they called for it I felt it was a breath-hair nose heavy which most people say is where you want it... I played a bit moving the bat back maybe 1/8" and then she seems a tad tail heavy... I'm thinking she should float a bit better rather than descend so quickly when coming off throttle... She floats with the flaps for sure...

I just changed out all my HS-81 Nylon gear servo's today with the new HS-85MG's Metal Gear Ball Bearings, and Wow these babies are precision smooth and accurate, at least so far... What a difference in servos there again the HS-81 Nylons were $14.95 each and the Ball Bearing Metal Gears are $31.95 each... I just felt if I spend the bucks now maybe it will be safer than what happened last night...

Jupiter1 said he thought the horn slipped on his HS-81 and I really think that may have happened with mine too as there were no gears stripped and the whole gear train ran smooth and tight... I was using an aftermarket horn that seemed to fit but I think it may have been for a larger servo and mine may have slipped here too like yours... Who knows but I came straight into that flock of geese from 45' high and thank goodness that 88 acre school yard is soft and muddy right now because hard ground may have done her in...

Thanks for your help you guys...
bnick
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:37 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Any ideas/links for a better looking motor bezel that might look scale on this plane? I haven't installed the Hyperion one. Thanks.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777