HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Crasher
Ft Myers, Florida
Joined May 2007
2,400 Posts
Discussion
Stock Battery Question Esky Honey Bee Fixed Pitch Helicopter

Well,... I've owned my HBFP now for almost two weeks now and I want to charge the stock battery with the supplied charger. I've read the manual about charging the stock battery and all is shows it a picture of the stock battery connected to the stock charger plugged into a power strip.

It explains safety using Li-Po's and how to use the Li-Po charger and stuff.

But,... My question is, How long do you charge the stock Ni-Mh Battery for?
The charger doesnt have any kind of light on it and the charger plugs directly to the battery so theres no way of telling.

Is there a certain amount of time that you normally charge your battery for?

And does this type of battery have a storage memory?
Some batteries if you only use a little bit and then charge it and then use a little bit again and keep using it like this it forms a memory and shortens the battery life quickly so i was wondering if the stock battery was like that also.

Thanks for your help.
CNH A.K.A. Jim
Crash-n-Hard is offline Find More Posts by Crash-n-Hard
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2007, 08:25 AM
Dodging Birdstrikes
Houston Texas
Joined Oct 2007
169 Posts
650 Mili-Amp hour battery pack divided by 300 Mili-amp hour charger = about 2 hours to recharge the pack from empty. Best way is to stop charging when the pack starts getting warm to the touch.
The stock battery pack (HBFP Mk2.) is made up of 7 AAA size NiMh cells that do not suffer from the memory effect like Ni-Cad cells do so there is no need to condition (totaly discharge) them before recharging
Parrot ATC is offline Find More Posts by Parrot ATC
Old Dec 16, 2007, 08:38 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
Dump the nimh for 900 to 1200 mah lipos, 45g to about 60g weight. You can use them awhile but they are heavy and burn motors up fast, at least 2-3x over 2 cell lipos.
Deep discharge seems as hard on them as the lipos, I only got over a hundred flights on them, but I flew every flight until power dropped too low to fly.
You can assume about 1.5hrs to charge because it does not fly to zero charge. I made a two battery charge station with a thermal cutoff before using a timer and measuring for the peak voltage to start dropping, checking every 5 minutes after 1.5 hrs charge.
Easy to fry them also. I am SO glad I followed advice to use 2 cell lipos under 65g weight.

CH
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:03 AM
Registered Crasher
Ft Myers, Florida
Joined May 2007
2,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot ATC
650 Mili-Amp hour battery pack divided by 300 Mili-amp hour charger = about 2 hours to recharge the pack from empty. Best way is to stop charging when the pack starts getting warm to the touch.
The stock battery pack (HBFP Mk2.) is made up of 7 AAA size NiMh cells that do not suffer from the memory effect like Ni-Cad cells do so there is no need to condition (totaly discharge) them before recharging
Hi Parrot.
Thank you for your reply.
I do not know if the Ni-Mh Battery that came with it brand new was fully charged or not, like how the Li-Po's come new only 1/2 charged or whatever. Last night i stuck it on the charger and after 1 hour I had asked my wife to unplug the charger for me and she told me that it was "SO HOT THAT IT ALMOST BURNED HER FINGERS!"

So that kind of scared me.
I guess once i use that battery i'll have to keep an eye on it to see how warm the charger gets and in what time period it takes in doing so.

Thanks also for letting me know about if that was the type of battery that held a memory or not.

I tried my best at researching it here and on google, All i could find were ad's selling the HBFP that had the 650mah Battery in their description. I couldnt actually find anything that said "How long to actually charge that battery for" So Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop
Dump the nimh for 900 to 1200 mah lipos, 45g to about 60g weight. You can use them awhile but they are heavy and burn motors up fast, at least 2-3x over 2 cell lipos.
Deep discharge seems as hard on them as the lipos, I only got over a hundred flights on them, but I flew every flight until power dropped too low to fly.
You can assume about 1.5hrs to charge because it does not fly to zero charge. I made a two battery charge station with a thermal cutoff before using a timer and measuring for the peak voltage to start dropping, checking every 5 minutes after 1.5 hrs charge.
Easy to fry them also. I am SO glad I followed advice to use 2 cell lipos under 65g weight.

CH

Hey ChopHop,...
Hows it going?

Yeah i totally agree about using Li-Po Batteries. I have 5 AirThunder Batteries and 1 2200 Align Battery that came with my Trex 450SE v2 that I havent even put the Deans Connectors on to it yet. I use to own several of the "Mega Power" Batteries but I havent had any success with those batteries. I've been told that they now use a different chemical make up for those battery, Making them better but i havent done any research on it to see what the feedback has been on them since i don't use them any longer.

I now plan on using these batteries: http://www.rcpricewatch.com/rcpw/dea...00mah-15c.html
The Mystery 900mah 15C Li-Po Batteries. I bought two of them and since they come with the JST Connectors already it seems like it'll be almost the "Perfect" Battery to be using. I ordered mine on Tuesday the 4th with the FREE SHIPPING that they offered and received them last Friday the 14th so 8 business days from China really isnt that bad i think.

I can't believe they had Free Shipping on a $7.78 Battery.
I really, Really wonder what the actual cost of those battery really are. They came registered mail so i had to sign for them, Making the Shipping cost even more on their side. These Batteries "Look" and "Feel" just like the Esky Batteries that I received when I purchased my Esky Honey Bee King v2 Heli except for the fact that the one that came with my King was a 3s and not 2s's. The Green Shrink Wrap, The Foil around the Cells themselves, Holding them side by side I really couldnt tell a difference.

I know when i did use that 1000mah 3s that came with the King, I beat the Hell out of it and that Battery seemed to out last all of my other batteries, It Never Puffed and It would only get warm to the touch so i was really happy actually with the performance of it so I'm hoping that these Mystery 900mah 15C Batteries Perform just as well. It seems to be a pretty popular battery for the HBFP.

So yes i do plan on using Li-Po Batteries with the HBFP as well as the 650 Ni-Mh just because it's just an extra battery and heck,... You might as well use it right? hehe

Thank you guys for this very helpful info.
I just couldnt believe how HOT That Battery Charger was when my wife unplugged it so I'll have to keep a serious eye on it when charging it.

HEY GUYS,... I've Got Another Question!

On the back of the packaging. For the Charging Info it says not to charge the battery above 1C Current.

(Here is the link to the Actual Picture Below so that you can see the Actual Size of it: http://www.onlineautorama.us/images/Mystery.900mah.15c.Lipo.Packaging.01.jpg Just click the link and then click the picture again to see it in the actual size of it.)

I use the DN Micro Power Li-Po Charger which allows me to charge at .2A Increments. How many .2A's Equal 1 C?

My AirThunder 11.1v 2200mah 25C Batteries say Max Charge Rate is 2.2A 1C so with my DN Micro Charger i usually just charge them at 2.0A which is the Max that the charger will charge at so i hope i'm not over charging it by using the full 2.0A, I dont think i am since it says it's Max is 2.2A.

Thanks again for your help guys.

CNH A.K.A. Jim

P.S. Sorry for such a long post.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:48 AM
Dodging Birdstrikes
Houston Texas
Joined Oct 2007
169 Posts
1C = replacing the packs full charge in 1 hour. A 1C charge for a 800 Mah pack, is 800 Ma. or .8 Amp. per hour. Charging your 2.2 Amp. Hour pack at 2 Amps is safe at about 0.9C.
The first time I charged my HBFP NiMh pack it got very warm after about an hour since then the few times I have used it (mostly use the Li-Po's from my lama) charge times are nearer to 2 hours before the pack starts to get warm.
Parrot ATC is offline Find More Posts by Parrot ATC
Old Dec 16, 2007, 01:04 PM
Registered Crasher
Ft Myers, Florida
Joined May 2007
2,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot ATC
1C = replacing the packs full charge in 1 hour. A 1C charge for a 800 Mah pack, is 800 Ma. or .8 Amp. per hour. Charging your 2.2 Amp. Hour pack at 2 Amps is safe at about 0.9C.
The first time I charged my HBFP NiMh pack it got very warm after about an hour since then the few times I have used it (mostly use the Li-Po's from my lama) charge times are nearer to 2 hours before the pack starts to get warm.
Okay,.. that cool. I was really worried how warm that charger adapter really was and again i had no idea if that battery came with any charge to begin with. It could have been fully charged as far as i know. I was just going off of what i knew about Li-Po batteries and how they come when you buy them new.

So the more i use the Ni-Mh Battery the Charging Adapter shouldnt get as Hot as it did as quickly as it did.

Also,... From what you wrote and if i understand it correctly, Charging my 900mah 15c Battery at 1.0A should be just fine for it, I suppose i could try charging it at .8A which will probably take a few minutes longer to charge it.

When I connected the battery to the charger I believe it reported one cell to be at 3.5 and the other was like 3.8, It took about 45-50 minutes to charge it at 1A.

Thank You for stopping by and explaining that for me.

CNH
Old Dec 16, 2007, 03:57 PM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
If you are not in a hurry, charge at 1/2 C ! You don't like a whole hamburger shoved down yer pie hole do you ? I hear both good and bad about fast charging, and if I have the time why not slow charge ?
You won't like how the heli handles with the heavy NIMH, maybe. I don't. With those Mystery 900mah 15C's it is like flying a feather, the stuff heli flying dreams are made of. It is so gentle and graceful like that , I got enchanted and left my MX400 and Walkera 36's sitting awhile. Wait until you get it out in winds less than 5mph and you will see. Now I do want to get out and sling the 400 iron too, but this is totally different.
I am using a 4500 kv BLDC main, I think the stock motor is 4100 kv, but we know a 4100 kv brushed and brushless are two different species. I fly at 300g AUW with the Mystery 900's , 7.5minutes, 30 seconds to come back and land. I put about 570 mah back in every time. They are barely warm, maybe 70* when it is 40*F OAT. I have 28 cycles on my first and it is just fine.

I do fly a 56g Megapower 2 cell 1000mah 15C. It is 10g heavier and shows it a little. It has 177 cycles on it and is as strong as new. There was about a .5 volt drop if I left it charged for over 24 hours without using it. I thought it was going bad, and ordered 6 Mystery lipos. Then I found it must have been the cheap Dynam charger I was using it on. The battery holds it's voltage when I use the Electrifly Polycharge or Parkzone variable charger. The Dynam is only a $10 shipping industry booster.

So much for now.

CH
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Last edited by Chophop; Dec 16, 2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 05:10 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2007
292 Posts
Quote:
Mystery 900mah 15C Li-Po Batteries
Hi Crash n Hard, I'm a noob! Can you tell me what charger you use with these batteries? I have a HB FP also and just trying to get the right setup. When you use lipo batteries can you use the stock motors on the heli or do you have to upgrade motors.
Thanks
randyc159 is offline Find More Posts by randyc159
Old Dec 17, 2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Crasher
Ft Myers, Florida
Joined May 2007
2,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC159
Hi Crash n Hard, I'm a noob! Can you tell me what charger you use with these batteries? I have a HB FP also and just trying to get the right setup. When you use lipo batteries can you use the stock motors on the heli or do you have to upgrade motors.
Thanks
Hey RC159.
Hows it going?

As i posted up above,... " I use the DN Micro Power Li-Po Charger "
Hope that helps.

Best wishes.
CNH