SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by lmopar69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 01:38 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Discussion
It Flys!! The Srt/10 Flys!!! Video Here...

Video from the ground...

Maiden Flight of the 13 foot span Ohio Combat SRT/10 (4 min 38 sec)

Video from the on-board Fly Cam One...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786238

(link is fixed now)

Thanks everyone!

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Last edited by lmopar69; Dec 16, 2007 at 12:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2007, 06:11 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,989 Posts
Broken link
T3chDad is online now Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log v4.0 Progress...
Old Dec 15, 2007, 07:14 PM
Renton,WA
Joined Nov 2006
15 Posts
It's fun to see this thing evolve and finally get airborne. It does though seem a bit problematic with its on the ground steering. Maybe a solution is a steerable front wheel assembly of some kind. Otherwise, this flying monolith is a remarkable achievement.

A second thought too. Perhaps adding a gyro for pitch control might be worthwhile addition too. It seems a bit "pitchy". We wouldn't want this one of a kind flying wing to have a shorten career would we?
churlock is offline Find More Posts by churlock
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:33 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
I'll take a look at the link and get it squared away. Thanks.

Churlock, I built it with a steerable nose wheel. Just had a few "issues" or "growing pains" to work through thats all.

As for it being "pitchy" that is only because the thrust angle on the motors was pushing the nose down when it was under power. So, of course, I trimmed the elevons up. That caused it to climb when the motors were not running. So, once the thrust angle gets dialed in, it will fly just like all my other Ohio Combat wings... fast, smooth, responsive and like its on rails! Just a matter of tweaking it, thats all.

Laine.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 09:26 AM
Dr. Dave
USA
Joined Nov 2005
1,319 Posts
I have been watching this project and I think you have really done something great here. First of all you persevered through failure and constantly addressed the issues and resolved them, second you dealt with the most nervous moment in this sport/hobby: Getting it off the ground and realizing what goes up must come down. I saw you readjust your cap before you hit the throttles. Like a true competitor you were moving toward your A-Game something also known as flow when challenge and skills are linear. You had a Tiger Woods moment. The take-off had a slight pitch up and down and at one point you got close to the ground but you did it. Wish we had a heart monitor on you. I bet that baby was pumped!. Great landing and great job. My only thought is maybe a gyro on the pitch to help a little with the wings short moment. You likely have done this but that might settle the bird some.

Great Job, take a deep breath and the next flight get a heart monitor. With the SR you may always be on the edge of excitement.
78dave is offline Find More Posts by 78dave
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2007, 12:04 PM
Oh no...hot glue is gone again
Tennessee
Joined Feb 2007
922 Posts
did you fly this in Nashville?? if so, where....I gotta see go see you fly this thing! I live about 13 miles south of nashville and if you're gonna be flying it here again, that's something I don't want to miss
catman529 is offline Find More Posts by catman529
Old Dec 16, 2007, 12:38 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Yup, Edwin Warner Field in Brentwood (Nashville) is where we did the maiden. I may be taking out again this week to get the thrust angle right. You are welcome to come Catman! Shoot me a PM with your phone #. If I go, it will be during the day, this week.

78 Dave, thank you man. As for a gyro and the pitch of the plane. I have flown ALOT of flying wings. They are all sensative when they are set up "just right". But, I have never put a gyro on one. Even at speeds of 150mph. There is just no need for it.

The reason for the dive, was simply the thrust angle was off. It pushed the nose down when I let off the "up elevon". So, I countered it and flew off! Gotta love it!

Laine.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 01:51 PM
Renton,WA
Joined Nov 2006
15 Posts
Not to take away anything from what it is now, but this would be an awesome candidate for two Wren XL200 turbojets (36lbs thrust per). If I were a rich man, I'd donate two just to see it. The sound, the speed, the thrill...the ultimate flying wing!! Wow.
churlock is offline Find More Posts by churlock
Old Dec 16, 2007, 08:36 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78dave
First of all you persevered through failure and constantly addressed the issues and resolved them, second you dealt with the most nervous moment .......... Getting it off the ground and realizing what goes up must come down.

Wish we had a heart monitor on you. I bet that baby was pumped!.

All guys have an off day from time to time, especially older guys.......glad to see you finally managed to get it up.

P.S. A gift certicifate to the Betty Ford Clinic wouldn't be an innapropriate Christmas gift for your video camera operator.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Dec 17, 2007, 03:49 AM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Great work guys! Love the sound of that thing. I bet it's awesome to watch and hear.

Joe
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:18 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Thanks Joe!
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:38 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,029 Posts
Congrats Laine, it looks great in the air. The sound of the two pushers is unreal.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Dec 17, 2007, 02:38 PM
Lawn dart!
Alexander City Russell
Joined Nov 2007
18 Posts
Great job Imopar!

I was sitting on the edge of my seat the whole time! Absolutely beautiful seeing that nose pitch up at takeoff. Once you got it up then I starting thinking, "oh boy... now to get it down!"

Loved watching your progress throughout the build. Many congrats to you!
Shurp is offline Find More Posts by Shurp
Old Dec 18, 2007, 01:18 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Thanks Azarr and thank you for the counter rotating props!! BOTH sets! I still need some EcubedRC decals if you have some.

Shurp, thanks man. It was kinda a handful with the thrust angle issue. Flying it while holding "up" elevator all the time gets kinda tricky... then power off and hold down... grrr.... But, safe landing! TWICE!!

Hope to take it out again tomorrow morning (Wed.)

Laine.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:54 PM
Oh no...hot glue is gone again
Tennessee
Joined Feb 2007
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmopar69
Thanks Azarr and thank you for the counter rotating props!! BOTH sets! I still need some EcubedRC decals if you have some.

Shurp, thanks man. It was kinda a handful with the thrust angle issue. Flying it while holding "up" elevator all the time gets kinda tricky... then power off and hold down... grrr.... But, safe landing! TWICE!!

Hope to take it out again tomorrow morning (Wed.)

Laine.
hey if you get out tomorrow...morning, I can try to come, not sure about morning though. I can't wait to see it though
catman529 is offline Find More Posts by catman529