SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2007, 09:43 PM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Canberra, Australia (Southside)
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
Discussion
The Aussie RCG Coffee thread (aka "we don't drink instant")

A large number of Aussie modelers are also coffee connoisseurs - so here is our new thread (great idea Stuntman!).

So pull yourself an espresso, click up the thread and tell us how good it is.

Just to start things off here is a photo (from the co. website sorry) of the lovely Sylvia and her good friend Rocky. Sylvia's office (well - the kitchenette) is across from my office so we pass each other very often.

Running Cosmorex Premium or Club through her at the moment.

Graham
glydr is offline Find More Posts by glydr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2007, 09:51 PM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
The rancilio site has some good tips- complete with videos here: http://www.rancilio.it/popup/achieving_great.html
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:01 PM
Falling with style
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2002
1,487 Posts
Nope, here we go, found a pic - G3 Ferrari Lady D machine that my father won in a raffle with a Sunbeam Cafe series grinder I nabbed for $100. Pumps out enough double espressos to keep my blood caffeine levels elevated.
yogorilla is offline Find More Posts by yogorilla
Last edited by yogorilla; Dec 13, 2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:33 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,404 Posts
Hey guys, great thread - though it could well and truly ruin my "3 cups a day" limit :|
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Dec 14, 2007, 01:30 AM
BJM
Heritage Park - Brisbane
Joined Oct 2007
244 Posts
Top thread Hahah
I've got myself (and hte wife I suppose) a Gaggia Syncrony logic machine...and feed it, and me LavAzza

However, it has an internal leak when preasurising for steam at the moment....so I'm stuck with crappy Moccona until she gets fixed

I actually have to get my receptionist to buy INTERNATIONAL ROAST for some of my staff, as that's what they like....What's up with that
BJM is offline Find More Posts by BJM
Old Dec 14, 2007, 01:36 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,404 Posts
BJM,

Some people also like McDonalds.

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Dec 14, 2007, 02:50 AM
The Glider Version
Liverpool, Sydney
Joined Mar 2007
1,257 Posts
mmmmmmm Coffee
flatstick is offline Find More Posts by flatstick
Old Dec 14, 2007, 03:39 AM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Apr 2005
29 Posts
That Rancilio looks very nice. Been meaning to buy a decent machine for ages. Any recommendations for a semi pro machine and where to get in Canberra.
Radix Lecti is offline Find More Posts by Radix Lecti
Old Dec 14, 2007, 04:54 AM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
My very first taste of coffee was international roast - as thats what my parents drank! EERGH - no wonder I didn't start enjoying coffee until I moved to Sydney (age 18) - not much in the way of good espresso in Narromine NSW.

----------

Good to meet another Canberran RCG member RL - are you North or South mate?

I thoroughly recommend the good people at Cosmorex in Fyshwick to you (www.cosmorexcoffee.com.au). And also recommend Sylvia and Rocky - the setup is about $1200 with everything you need (e.g. better filter basket, stainless steel tamp, a few kg of coffee). If you shop around on the internet you can find Sylvia and Rocky for less - however I was spending company money so was happy to pay extra and receive a lesson and have the grinder set up properly.

If money isn't an issue splash out on something like a Diadema (looking towards a few grand - without grinder!).

If money is an issue - cruise the for sale section of www.coffeesnobs.com.au
Old Dec 14, 2007, 05:38 AM
"the bouncer"
Australia, VIC, Vermont
Joined Nov 2006
4,853 Posts
Ok you guys got me .

i shoot (photograph) these machines for a major department store , and if you want the inside news the sunbeam twin thermo blocks are the way to go .
as for coffee , the best from epicure is from St ali in south melb .
and if your in port melb try Noisette for cafe.
mackone is offline Find More Posts by mackone
Old Dec 14, 2007, 05:45 AM
My 1st R/C had 2 valves !
Settled in "The Shoalhaven", Au.
Joined Jul 2007
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glydr
My very first taste of coffee was international roast - as thats what my parents drank! EERGH - no wonder I didn't start enjoying coffee until I moved to Sydney (age 18) - not much in the way of good espresso in Narromine NSW.
My first taste of "coffee" was Raleighs Indian Mocha syrup, sometime in the late '40s. YEECH! I didn't drink coffee again till I married. Wifey was a "girl of the world", I was just a country hick, tea & scones, mutton & 3 veg, curried rabbit, Melbourne Bitter, 6 o'clock closing.

Down in Melb. last weekend, (Xmas shopping, indoor heli meet), after nice evening with friends, relos', neighbours, & a few bottles of good red, Daughter offers coffee. - instant, instant decaf, real coffee, oh and I can do REAL DECAF if you like...

Son-in-law and I yell:- WHAT...that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one.

Girls had instant decaf, Brett & I had REAL COFFEE, with real cream, & an old Tokay, as close to heaven as I've been lately......

EGB.
KraftyOne is offline Find More Posts by KraftyOne
Old Dec 14, 2007, 07:02 AM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Apr 2005
29 Posts
Sylvia and Rocky - setup would be nice. That coffeesnobs site scares me, they speak of modding coffee machines and half the threads I have no idea what they are talking about. Sylvia and rocky seem to be widely used. I hope cosmorex are open saturday.

I'm on the south side. Moved from Sydney few months back and looking to buy at the moment, going to an auction tomorrow.
Radix Lecti is offline Find More Posts by Radix Lecti
Old Dec 14, 2007, 07:58 AM
Falling with style
Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2002
1,487 Posts
You think maccas coffee is bad enough, you should go with my mother who buys a coffee and a soft serve ice cream and drops the ice cream in the top to make some sort of bastard vienna coffee. Germans never could make a decent brew.
yogorilla is offline Find More Posts by yogorilla
Old Dec 14, 2007, 09:33 AM
mark
blue mountains
Joined Sep 2006
1,725 Posts
guys you have it alllllllllllllllllllllllll wrong ...mmmmmmm beer,come on we are australian?
taxdodger is offline Find More Posts by taxdodger
Old Dec 14, 2007, 03:06 PM
RoyalAustralianEasyMoneyE arner
Australia, QLD, Hervey Bay
Joined Nov 2006
846 Posts
I'm with you Dodge, Mmmmmmm Beer and there's only one thing better, a bottle with a Big white Polar Bear on the label.

Oh and then there's the Blue Mountain Coffee from the highlands in PNG, now thats the best gear going round' (ha ha)
Red Zephyr is online now Find More Posts by Red Zephyr