USA, MN, Robbinsdale
Joined May 2006
1,343 Posts
Help!
all about 1/18-1/16 mini buggys/ truggys/trucks

Hi
I hope you are all having good things for the holidaz
My questions are all about 1/18-1/16 mini buggys/ truggys/trucks

What I really want is a mini (truck/truggy/stadium truck) I want it to go fast (30-40mph)
but not needing (stupid fast) I like the idea of a 2-speed shift but dont belive they make that in minis
I no longer have the time or desire to do lots of maintenance I want to stick this in my trunk and pull it out
for a little parking lot racing or back yard bashing and be in the running not dead last.
I was looking at the possibility of brushless and using lipos that I use in small airplanes (11.1v 1500ma)
I dont want shock oil all over ... a line on the best set of oiless shocks would be welcome.
also I have 1/10 cars OLD but I have good TX, RX and need not any more.
but if I must, I must,- buying as rtr or arr is ok
models I was looking at are:
Associated 1/18 RC18T Factory Team Kit
Kyosho Mini Inferno-half 8
Duratrax Vendetta ST

I dont know much or anything about ...
Mini t or losi products
Trinity 1/18 Blade B Brushless
Itsy Bitsy Spyder???

MUST HAVES
Must Have sealed diffs/tranny and spur to pinion area.
4wd ( however an easy way to go 2wd would be nice)
options for brushless setup.
gearing options... Lots... who has the weird gear pitch Ive heard about?
A good CG but I dont want to go to a saddle pack.(if anyone does)
Ability to mod to use 1/10 scale tires./rims.

I would like to see exploded views of the guts of these vehicles
or assy manuels to help me see how they are made...any links???

Awhile back (1.5 years ago) I thought I saw small truck kits in LHS
I cant seem to find any now .... Links???
I have not been into the car / truck rc stuff for many years but now
I got nephews and children of friends to Beat ... I need help please.

Any leads on rolling chassies would be welcome.
Thank You
K9000wner is offline Find More Posts by K9000wner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dututh Air Show
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2007, 07:58 AM
United States, CA, Pleasant Hill
Joined Mar 2005
317 Posts
here's some forums:

http://www.one18th.com/
http://www.minioffroaders.com/
http://halfeight.com/forums/

and check out the xray m18t, too.
specriv is offline Find More Posts by specriv
Old Dec 21, 2007, 05:06 AM
Thatsright I drankthe rum
USA, MN, Robbinsdale
Joined May 2006
1,343 Posts
Thanx Spec

lots to read and I did a lot...
I got a RC18t by LHS consignment (good deal )
But why? kid was selling to acquire a different 1/18 ?
(didnt ask what one it was) he said his friends had faster cars
his had ..(mine).. lrp quatum esc "big block motor" (300) and the gears I have look to be 13t on 57T ???

well the first thing I notice is std associated grind in the diffs... too tight?
loosen them till smooth and major slippage ...disassemble ...no grit/sand...
clean relube better...as I recall my rc10 back in the day had same grind
those tiny little balls and flat washers for running surfaces just dont seem to do that well ...a gear diff might be my choice if I could choose but to protect that U need a slipper clutch...the balls in a RC18 will slip to protect the spur/pinion etc...
and I guess AE counts on that...
The diffs are well sealed and the spur/pinion is mostly hidden and Im told a cover is available or was, LHS did not have it and I dont see it else where???

If I see any interest in this thread I will continue, as it is, time for me to go
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2007, 07:29 PM
USA, MN, Robbinsdale
Joined May 2006
1,343 Posts
spent some time running with 3s in the snow and 30 degrees (cold out)
so just as a FYI
older LRP Quantum esc 12t??
AE big Block motor--(speed 300)
Std original RX
Std TX
some version of Std gearing as std gear cover still on it...
Im not a hard driver but Ive done one or three F to R and R to F moves
no torn gears yet...lots of skidding
This is a fun little sob
Xmas happy to all
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2007, 04:58 AM
0 Carbon fp? don't breed!
www.dhrc.rchomepage.com Gloucester/Cheltenham Gloucester, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Oct 2004
2,161 Posts
1/16th Trinity truggy and buggy deals come RTR with Himaxx 5400Kv long brushless (UK deals) and 3s lithium but no word on the quality yet. Expect some teething issues but it looks a great starting point for speed (~40mph out the box).

1/18th (large end of this scale) Vendetta ST (LRP Shark, B4?, Anderson Asian import) looks a cheap RTR starter and probably better for dirt/grit (has gear cover) but requires brushless and lithium to do 40mph (plus a list of hop ups I belive).

1/18th X-ray m18t kit with brushless and lithium will handle really well be lightest but will cost more. The quality is better and you shouldn't have diff or steering issues. No gear cover and open suspension knuckles, so on sand or grit isn't the best choice though I've bashed mine and lived another day.
There is a m18t Pro stretched carbon version out now which is even better and comes with metal CVDs stock. Great for builders of clean speed freaks, overkill for low speed bashing. Or start with the M18MT RTR (brushed 7.2v NiMh) and add more power later (same as the Xray m18t with different wheels+). Can get 1/10 adaptors but if you raise a 1/18th truck up, it will impact cornering at speed where they tend to role easy. Also if you have a setup that is 30+mph, it's probably not going to be any good at slow speeds anyway (brushless cog, weak torque). For low speed crawling/climbing it's easier to stick with brushed motor setups.

Most of the other options out there seem to suffer drive train issues with better power systems and leave you on a constant upgrade and fix it path.
DarkHorse is offline Find More Posts by DarkHorse
Last edited by DarkHorse; Dec 23, 2007 at 05:23 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2008, 03:52 AM
USA, MN, Robbinsdale
Joined May 2006
1,343 Posts
thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse
1/16th Trinity truggy and buggy deals come RTR with Himaxx 5400Kv long brushless (UK deals) and 3s lithium but no word on the quality yet. Expect some teething issues but it looks a great starting point for speed (~40mph out the box).

1/18th (large end of this scale) Vendetta ST (LRP Shark, B4?, Anderson Asian import) looks a cheap RTR starter and probably better for dirt/grit (has gear cover) but requires brushless and lithium to do 40mph (plus a list of hop ups I belive).

1/18th X-ray m18t kit with brushless and lithium will handle really well be lightest but will cost more. The quality is better and you shouldn't have diff or steering issues. No gear cover and open suspension knuckles, so on sand or grit isn't the best choice though I've bashed mine and lived another day.
There is a m18t Pro stretched carbon version out now which is even better and comes with metal CVDs stock. Great for builders of clean speed freaks, overkill for low speed bashing. Or start with the M18MT RTR (brushed 7.2v NiMh) and add more power later (same as the Xray m18t with different wheels+). Can get 1/10 adaptors but if you raise a 1/18th truck up, it will impact cornering at speed where they tend to role easy. Also if you have a setup that is 30+mph, it's probably not going to be any good at slow speeds anyway (brushless cog, weak torque). For low speed crawling/climbing it's easier to stick with brushed motor setups.

Most of the other options out there seem to suffer drive train issues with better power systems and leave you on a constant upgrade and fix it path.
thanx 4 the info ...went rc18t ..by way of auction....
will close this as it does not seem to be popular???
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread