HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2008, 10:48 AM
Mt Airy Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
207 Posts
Fwd. cockpit side planks are now in place. Just a little cleaning up to do and proceed to other side.
Bud Faulkner is offline Find More Posts by Bud Faulkner
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2008, 11:19 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,847 Posts
PAT- I know that you are following the procedure that Dumas outlines for sub planking, as you should since this is a review of sorts, but I thought I might suggest a different approach for the sub planking of the hull. That would be to diagonal plank at a forty five degree angle both the sides and the bottom planking. The reason is two fold. First it is a lot easer to plank the compound curves for the barrel stern as well as the compound curves of the flair going to the bow. Second is the fact that with the mahogany planking going for and aft parallel to the waterline you gain amazing strength and stiffness in the hull from the crossing grain. This is one of the reasons cold molded hulls are so strong. By the way this is the way they built the full size PT boats at ELCO. Pat can verify. If this sounds like deja vue, it is, Dumas used this type of planking on previous Chris Crafts but with birch ply (too heavy). This is the same procedure you used when you did the Thunderbolt review.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jan 01, 2008, 03:38 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Has that nice C*C glow, Bud!

What would you recommend as a replacement for the birch ply on the BB or Cobra, Frankg? Balsa?
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 01, 2008, 05:40 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,847 Posts
AEROMINDED- I always use 3/32 hard balsa for my sub planking. The reason is two fold. One it is lighter that the birch ply Dumas uses in the kits to cover the same area and if diagonally planked adds strength. Two it is easy to sand to true the hull before final planking of the mahogany. Note I stated hard balsa, the stuff the airplane guys pass up due to weight and its stiffness. In a boat this is the wood of choice for me. As far as strength I have built many a nitro powered model out of balsa with fiberglass and polyester covering with very good results in final weight, strength, and speed. I guess I just like working with the wood.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jan 02, 2008, 12:01 AM
Mt Airy Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Has that nice C*C glow, Bud!
Thanks aerominded, that's 1/16" basswood with my own stain.
Old Jan 03, 2008, 09:28 AM
Joined Apr 2006
28 Posts
Bud, I Like the micro bevel you put on the cockpit planks its a great looking detail
jef764 is offline Find More Posts by jef764
Old Jan 03, 2008, 09:39 AM
Mt Airy Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jef764
Bud, I Like the micro bevel you put on the cockpit planks its a great looking detail
Thanks jef764, I've got to work on the stain on the edges, tends to wear off between sanding coats prior to varnish. Think on the middle cockpit once I reach my desired color (takes several coats as usual, the more you add the darker it gets) I think I'll just keep coating the edges only and see what happens.

Bud
Old Jan 03, 2008, 09:54 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
On to the Top Side

Now that the hull planking and sealing is done, it's on to the deck and cockpit. The floorboards are assembled and are being sealed with 4 coats of WBPU varnish before painting.

Am also working up all the cockpit parts and staining so that several coats of resin can be applied so all will be ready when it comes time to glue them in place. This is the part where you work a little and wait allot till all the sealing is done.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Jan 09, 2008, 09:28 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
Moving Ahead Again

The last few days have been spent finishing the cockpit floors and sides. Its one of those deals where you work for a few minutes, then wait for several hours. But allas, the parts are sealed with 3 coats of resin, sealed and painted.

Now its time for some real visable progress!

PAT
Old Jan 09, 2008, 05:57 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3 Posts
Motor/running Gear/finishing

Model looks like it is coming together nicely. I am building the same and am just finishing the balsa subplanking.

I am looking for some recommendations and suggestions on materials and finishing.

I plan to cover in .60 oz fiberglass cloth. Someone recommended zpoxy resin to apply the glass and then put a clear coat of paint on top. Do you suggest a different resin and what is best to clear coat with?

In terms of running gear I am trying to figure out what kind of motor(s) to run (dual or single), the proper motor mount and the correct prop and speed control. Any advice you can provide would be helpful!

Thanks and keep up the fine work and documentation.

8pack.
8pack is offline Find More Posts by 8pack
Old Jan 10, 2008, 03:33 AM
oldtribefan
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined May 2007
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pack
Model looks like it is coming together nicely. I am building the same and am just finishing the balsa subplanking.

I am looking for some recommendations and suggestions on materials and finishing.

I plan to cover in .60 oz fiberglass cloth. Someone recommended zpoxy resin to apply the glass and then put a clear coat of paint on top. Do you suggest a different resin and what is best to clear coat with?

In terms of running gear I am trying to figure out what kind of motor(s) to run (dual or single), the proper motor mount and the correct prop and speed control. Any advice you can provide would be helpful!

Thanks and keep up the fine work and documentation.

8pack.
8pack - I used Tap Plastics ultraclear surfboard resin on mine and am very pleased with the results. Here is the link for information:

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=38&

Good luck!

Kip
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Jan 10, 2008, 08:28 AM
Joined Nov 2005
222 Posts
Kip, I just put the first coat of the surfboard resin on my racing runabout. Did you thin your resin? If yes, What did you use?
Thanks, Bruce
papower is offline Find More Posts by papower
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:06 PM
oldtribefan
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined May 2007
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papower
Kip, I just put the first coat of the surfboard resin on my racing runabout. Did you thin your resin? If yes, What did you use?
Thanks, Bruce
Bruce,

I did thin it a bit using acetone. Worked well to wet out the cloth. Try a small batch on some scrap wood to get the proper consistency.

Kip
oldtribefan is offline Find More Posts by oldtribefan
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:10 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
Adding the Cockpit Walls

The cockpit walls were glued in place and trimmed to the deck level.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:14 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
Building the Hatch Covers

The engine hatch cover and trap door were built up per the instructions and fitted in place.