SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:41 PM
Joined Apr 2006
28 Posts
Hey Pat
Looks great !!! I love this boat. Is the ply sheets part of the kit or did you switch them out for the diagnol sub planking?
jef764 is offline Find More Posts by jef764
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:48 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,487 Posts
Strip Planking the Hull Sides

Been steadily working on getting the strip planking done. It's not hard, just takes time. The first two bottom planks runn edge to edge the full length of the hull so there's nothing special going on here.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:51 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,487 Posts
Laying the 3rd plank

The third plank up won't make the curve, so the front is spaced 1/2" above the second plank at the bow, and flows straight into the second plank about 1/4 of the way back. A steeler will be added to fill the gap.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:01 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,487 Posts
Fitting the Steeler

Fitting a steeler really isn't a big deal, but does need to be worked in slowly, and fitted carefully to avoid an uneven fit, or unsitely gaps that will need to be filled later.

My favorite method for fitting a steeler is as old as boats themselves. Mark reference points on the plank and hull. Then using a divider, find the correct width at each point of reference and transfer that dimension to the plank. Connect the dots and cut away the excess wood. Then carefully fit the plank, sanding as needed to get a snug even fit. Once it fits nicely, it's glued in place with white glue and clamped until dry.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:06 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,487 Posts
Adding the remaining planks

The remaining planks are added in the same manner as the first two. The top two require much trimming and fitting into the sheer. I might mention too, that the planks are shorter then the hull, so need to be added in forward and aft segments. The joints are staggered to eliminate a built in week point on the hull.

At this point, all the planks are in place, and the gaps filled with spackling paste. Once dry the edges were rough sanded. The next step is to sand the surface and level everything up nice and fair.

PAT
Last edited by P. Tritle; Dec 18, 2007 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Added a Second Photo
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:08 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,487 Posts
Jeff, The lite ply bottom sheeting is included in the kit. I'd guess that by doing the light ply/balsa subplanking there's probably 10 or 12 oz. eliminated from the finished weight of the model as compaired to the typical 1/16 ply diagonal planking like is on the Cobra. And that leaves more room for the weight of larger battery packs.

PAT
Last edited by P. Tritle; Dec 18, 2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:24 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,028 Posts
Starting to look like a boat, Pat!!!

Surprized to see that the sub-planking goes on this one without the hull structure anchored to the workbench... any risk of building in a twist this way or is the substructure pretty rigid?
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:39 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,487 Posts
Aero, It is, feels like - progress. The first two planks went on while the assembly was still nailed down, and by then was totally rigid, so was lifted to do the rest. At this point its nice and straight and true.

PAT
Old Dec 18, 2007, 10:44 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,028 Posts
Good deal!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Dec 26, 2007, 07:58 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,487 Posts
A Good Day's Progress

At this point, the hull sub-planking is finished. Got the bow blocks on and shaped, and the planks sanded and puttied level and fair.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 08:03 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,487 Posts
Sealing the Hull

The inside of the hull was given a coat of West Systems resin to seal the wood and show the leaks between the plans. Interstingly, there was NO seapage between the planks anywhere!

From here it up to the deck sub-structure.

PAT
Old Dec 27, 2007, 09:29 AM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Pat, what kind/brand of white glue do you use?
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Dec 27, 2007, 09:33 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,487 Posts
Tim, I'll use any of the "Carpenters" or "Woodworkers" glues available, depends where I buy it. Titebond and Elmer's are the two most common. Having used both over the years I really can't see much of a difference from one to the other.

PAT
Old Dec 27, 2007, 09:47 AM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, I know that it doesnt have to be watertight because of whats going over it, but, I didnt know white glue was strong enough to hold the bend.Also, why do you wait to put on the last transom piece? Thanks for these build threads, they will be invalueable when I build the CC Commander and the Catalina.
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Dec 30, 2007, 10:17 AM
Mt Airy Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcaptain

As I recall, one difficulty I had was keeping those early installed interior pieces of mahogany from getting messed up from glue, etc, before finishing them with poly. If I was to do it over, I'd stain and poly these panels before installation. Maybe you've got a better approach????
I'm doing mine before I do anything else....I installed a piece of 1/32" ply to the cockpit sides and my planks will be individual planks per the real boat rather than a sheet of mahogany. Here's a test piece for the forward cockpit at bulkhead 4

Bud
Bud Faulkner is offline Find More Posts by Bud Faulkner
Last edited by Bud Faulkner; Dec 30, 2007 at 06:39 PM.