HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2007, 08:24 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Build Log
Chris-Craft 27' Tripple CP Barrel Back

After building several of the Dumas Chris-Craft kits the oppertunity came up to build the 27" Triple Cockpit Barrel Back, so here goes.

Upon first inspection of the kit -- after getting 3 big guys to help hoist it up onto the workbench! -- it looks like it's going to be a terrific project. There's going to be a lot of building to do, but up to this point, parts fit has been excellant, and I can see no reason to expect things to change as the build progresses. So let's get started.

The deck sheer halves were glued together, and all the hull frame sub-assemblies were done up first There was a minor glitch at frame 5, however. That's the rear former for the front cockpit, and the front former for the middle cockpit. For that reason there needs to be cabin wall and floor supports on both sides of the former, which I didn't pick up from the instructions, so will need to add those parts to the rear cockpit side of the former before the side planking goes on.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2007, 08:31 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Framing the Hull

The formers were dry fitted onto the forward keel section, then the assembly placed on the deck sheer, which was pinned to the building board. The forward section is glued in place, followed by the aft frames and the hardwood butterfly keel.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 08:36 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Adding the Chines

The chines are big and beefy, but are easy to install since they're done in 3 laminations of 1/8 X 1/4 bass wood, and there are no tight curves to deal with. To begin, 3 sticks are glued together at one end, then the angle is sanded into the sticks to fit against the forward keel. In the instructions the dimensions are given to sand the angle, and fit perfectly when glued in place.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 08:39 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Skinning the Bottom of the Hull

The aft skin sections are a single sheet of light ply on each side of the keel. Here's the place where all those clamps you've been gathering over the years will come in real handy. There's nothing monumental about gluing the rear sections in place, but are a preview for things to come.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 08:43 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Gluing in the Front Skins

Here's where things get a little interesting. The forward skin sections fit perfectly, but a bit of beveling is in order to get them to lay in correctly. Keep your clamps handy here, you're going to need them. Then it's just a matter of fitting and gluing the 4 sections in place.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 08:47 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
The Bottom is Done, Now its on to the Sides

The bottom skins are in place and the seams have been sanded. A wood plane was used to trim the skins into the chines, followed bt a block sanding to even it all up.

From here its on to the side planking.

PAT
Old Dec 13, 2007, 01:13 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,138 Posts
Pat,

You must be taking requests or something...
Seems I have seen two or three posts this year asking about the Triple
cockpit Barrel Back, and All we could do is referance the Typhoon..

Good to see you back in the boat forum for another build up.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Dec 13, 2007, 02:23 PM
Camden Maine
Joined Feb 2005
1,067 Posts
Favorite Dumas Cris-craft

Pat,

It's nice to see you build this one. Truly turns out to be a beautiful model. It looks great on the water as well. Harry
H.Lauer is offline Find More Posts by H.Lauer
Old Dec 13, 2007, 08:45 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Umi, Actually, this one has been pending for awhile now. It's good to get started. It's going to be a pretty hefty project, but am looking forward to the build. It's also good to be back on this side of the forums again. It's been so insanely busy for the last several months I just haven't had time to spend any quality time here. But I do have another project coing up soon that might be of some interest.

Harry, Very nice, you give me a level to strive for.

PAT
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:13 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,810 Posts
Looking good Pat! I always enjoy your threads!
Aerominded is online now Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Dec 14, 2007, 04:30 AM
Central Missouri,USA Along the banks of the Missouri River
Joined Jun 2005
1,734 Posts
Fasten your seatbelts.
tim slocum is offline Find More Posts by tim slocum
Old Dec 14, 2007, 01:11 PM
Tugs & Bugs
Bronx NY
Joined Mar 2005
273 Posts
PAT, awesome as always, incredible work, i have strapped on my seatbelt and harness...LOL......Ivan!
Tug Lover is offline Find More Posts by Tug Lover
Old Dec 14, 2007, 09:41 PM
DO OR DO NOT--THERE IS NO TRY
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Mar 2006
152 Posts
Here's another Triple Cockpit

Hi, Pat,

I really enjoyed building this model, too. It's such a beautifully design boat (the real one) and the model somehow captures this beauty. At about 42 inches long, this is one of Dumas' finest.

As I recall, one difficulty I had was keeping those early installed interior pieces of mahogany from getting messed up from glue, etc, before finishing them with poly. If I was to do it over, I'd stain and poly these panels before installation. Maybe you've got a better approach????

I also underpowered the model. It wouldn't get up on the water. So, one of my projects this winter is to re power it.

Also, I was afraid to use glass and resin. I paid the price. Many of the mahogany planks have "popped". This may be a result of the fact this model was built in the humidity of Florida and then moved to the dry state of Arizona.

Have a great Christmas!!!!
azcaptain is offline Find More Posts by azcaptain
Old Dec 14, 2007, 09:56 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
AZ, Great looking boat! This one will be powered with the MACH Products twin motor arrangement. It should just aboutr fly.

Made some good progress getting the subplanking on. The sides are about 2/3 done now. BTW, I only did one mahogany C-C without glass -- I'm a fast learner --(sometimes -- well OK, occationally). Turns out it's much quicker to glass it up then you might think, once you learn the system. And, it sure beats the inevitable repairs when it's not glassed.

PAT
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:28 AM
DO OR DO NOT--THERE IS NO TRY
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Mar 2006
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
AZ, Great looking boat! This one will be powered with the MACH Products twin motor arrangement. It should just aboutr fly.

Made some good progress getting the subplanking on. The sides are about 2/3 done now. BTW, I only did one mahogany C-C without glass -- I'm a fast learner --(sometimes -- well OK, occationally). Turns out it's much quicker to glass it up then you might think, once you learn the system. And, it sure beats the inevitable repairs when it's not glassed.

PAT
Hi Pat,

Thank you for the compliment.

Since building this kit I HAVE lost my fear of glass/resin. I agree, it's a must on most wood model boats.

Did you note my concern about the finishing of the interior mahogany hull sides in the cockpits? I really had a devil of a time making them look good having NOT finished them before installing. How will you handle this?

AZCAPTAIN
azcaptain is offline Find More Posts by azcaptain