HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:20 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6 Posts
Discussion
longest flight time

hi, i m new at rc plane, been play with SL for a while.
now i would like to get into real rc airplane, which model had the longest flying time?
thanks in advance....
bowieshum is offline Find More Posts by bowieshum
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:18 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Longest flight time would be a gasoline powered model... unless you want to get into some serious modifications.

For example... a Great Planes Cap 232 with a 40 cc gas engine and a couple of added fuel tanks could carry a gallon of fuel and easilly fly for about 2 hours.

A slope soarer at a good site could go for several hours... limited only by the RX and transmitter battery... if you have the right location and wind conditions... I had one model in the air for 2 1/2 hours.

As far as electric power... you can do fairly well with some of them. I have a small Tiger Moth that gets 17 min of full throttle per charge. I've never tried to see how long it could stay in the air (without the help of a thermal) Its too much fun to do aerobatics, and the aerobatics require more power than just lazily circling the field.

In essence.... the durration per flight is not really something you should be very concerned about while learning. Any decent setup for a beginner's RC model will give about 7 to 10 min... maybe a bit more.

I find that when giving instruction to beginners that any single flight beyond 7 min... they quit getting better... or its time for them to solo. So the 7 to 10 min duration per charge is plenty.

With LiPos though... I target 15 min average for the way that I fly the plane... mostly because the "4C" average discharge rate is not going to stress the LiPos and they will last for MANY charges at that rate.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:41 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,261 Posts
And then there is the military versions (predator) USA to Iraq & back w/ no stops !!!
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:04 PM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,627 Posts
Bowieshum,

Welcome to R/C flying!

Don't worry about flying time, worry about flying. When you first start flying, your nerves are on such edge, and your adrenalin is pumping so hard, that after 8 minutes you will be exhausted. Landing and taking off are an important aspect of flying. If you are flying an electric plane and want long air timie, bring several batteries with you. When the first battery is up, you land the plane, put in a new battery and take-off again. You will find that keeping your head constantly tilted up to the sky is very tiring on your neck and difficult to maintain concentration, so long flight times are rarely an issue.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Dec 14, 2007, 06:23 AM
Joined Dec 2007
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo L
Bowieshum,

Welcome to R/C flying!

Don't worry about flying time, worry about flying. When you first start flying, your nerves are on such edge, and your adrenalin is pumping so hard, that after 8 minutes you will be exhausted. Landing and taking off are an important aspect of flying. If you are flying an electric plane and want long airtime, bring several batteries with you. When the first battery is up, you land the plane, put in a new battery and take-off again. You will find that keeping your head constantly tilted up to the sky is very tiring on your neck and difficult to maintain concentration, so long flight times are rarely an issue.
I agree with this I have lived in the peaks in the England and flown a glider lying down on the hill on a sunny afternoon and a glider in the air for over five hours, mainly because there was no good top landing so I had to fly it down the hill and land it by the car. but its still more fun landing and taking off all the time.
3dee is offline Find More Posts by 3dee
Old Dec 17, 2007, 07:44 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowieshum
now i would like to get into real rc airplane, which model had the longest flying time?
thanks in advance....
It is all a matter of energy source.

My longest personal flight was with a slope glider, no motor, which was about 90 minutes. I could have stayed up longer but I was ready to land.

Then there was 58:41 on a thermal duration glider, no motor, launched off a winch. Rode that thermal for a long time.

As far as electric planes, it is just a matter of how big the battery pack is and the design of your plane.

Electric gliders would typically be the longest flying planes as they only need the motor to get to soaring height, then you power off and ride the thermals or you ride the slope lift. My Easy Glider can go for several hours on a single 2100 mah pack if I can catch some lift.

My longest single flight on my Easy Glider was about 30 minutes which consisted of a 20 second climb and riding thermals for the rest of the time. I could easily have climbed back to height 8-10 more times for more flying time. I get about 6 minutes of full power time on a pack, so that is 8-12 climbs.

A glow plane flew from North America to Ireland. Don't recall how long the flight was but it was ... long.

An electric plane flew across the English channel, as I recall.

Flight duration is not much of a problem these days.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 22, 2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 12:48 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
With the new flexible solar panels...

I could see someone taking an electric power sailplane and getting 12 hours without any strong thermals.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Dec 17, 2007, 01:16 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
If you could climb for 30 seconds and then charge for 15 minutes ..... who knows?

How much can those panels put out?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 02:26 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
I have flown for 30+ minutes on a powered glider, mostly gliding though.

You really do not want to worry about flying times, but rather flying experience. As soon as you're a good pilot, then you can get better planes that may fly longer.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Dec 17, 2007, 02:45 PM
United States, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Jan 2004
2,090 Posts
Yea, I'd agree with all others here. Assuming you're not going in RC to break the record, there's no big point worrying about how long you'll stay in the air.

Electronics are better now and I can get almost 45 minutes on my flying wing about about 15 minutes on my 47" Extra. But honestly, after 15 minutes of flying 3d like that, I get pretty worn out. I remember when I first got into electric my dad and I had 8 batteries that lasted about 2 1/2 minutes each...
mattk0 is online now Find More Posts by mattk0
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:55 AM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
I broke a record in the 90's. 11.5 hours slope. Long day. Bad sunburn. A little dehydrated

Dean
steelhead is offline Find More Posts by steelhead
Old Feb 22, 2008, 01:48 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
Heed the advice about learning to takeoff and land proficiently, but notice that once you learn that then you can have fun going for duration. I routinely get 30 minutes from an 800 mah lipo at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and 40 minutes easy when some lift is there.

Some Notes for Clarification:

- The wing is from an Aerobird Challenger, which weighs 17 oz. stock as an RTF. My version weighs 12 oz. This translates into a plane which needs less power and airspeed to stay aloft.

- The rest of the airframe is scratchbuilt from molds

- The electronics are standard hobby grade and include a GBV1.1 brushless motor.

- All in all a stark improvement over the Aerobird
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Last edited by HELModels; Feb 22, 2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 06:15 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead
I broke a record in the 90's. 11.5 hours slope. Long day. Bad sunburn. A little dehydrated

Dean
That takes amazing concentration and determination! Teh 87 minute thermal flight I posted was fun but after about an hour I was starting to get tired of the flight. 11 hours? Amazing!

What were you flying?

How did you get that duration on the receiver pack? The batteries back then were not as good as what we have today.

Was this a planned duration flight?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:28 AM
AMA# 851123
Bailey, CO
Joined Apr 2006
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowieshum
thanks in advance....
Dear Bowie,

Welcome to RC groups. The flight time you can expect from an RC plane depends on the battery capacity, drive system (motor, propeller, gear ratio), and throttle setting.

A plane has to produce thrust to overcome drag. A plane also has to product lift to overcome gravity. There are some pretty complex relationships between lift, thrust, and drag. A large wing that produces a lot of lift will also produce more drag. A plane with a heavier big battery will have to fly faster than the same plane with a small lighter battery. More weight means more lift is required, which means the plane has to fly faster. The faster the plane flies the quicker the battery is drained.

I have a Great Planes BLT with a GWS EPS-350C (5.33 to 1 gear ratio) turning a 10x4.7 slowfly propeller. The flying weight of this plane is 9 ounces with a 1300 mAH 7.4volt Lipoly battery. The BLT has a 42 inch wingspan with 300 sq inches of wing area. Stall speed is well under 10 mph. This plane flies so slowly you can almost count the revolutions of the propeller. I have had this plane in the air for over an hour. The BLT is a kit airplane with a super light balsa airframe and a very nice Clark-Y high-lift wing.

A typical RTF plane is made of foam and will stay in the air 10 to 15 minutes. I did some calculation for a Hobbyzone Super Cub using the MotoCalc program. I found that the Super Cub could possible stay in the air for 20 minutes at a throttle setting just above stall speed. The Hobbyzone Super Cub is a bit heavy at 24 ounces but has a generous wing. Hobbyzone specifies the Super Cub flight duration as 10 to 15 minutes, which is really more than enough.

I afraid there is not a really good answer regarding flight times. A plane that is light and slow, with a high-capacity battery, will stay in the air longer than a plane that is heavy and fast, with a small capacity battery.

Thanks, Bruce
brucea is offline Find More Posts by brucea
Last edited by brucea; Feb 22, 2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:27 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,347 Posts
I think you have gotten some good input here. If you would like to do some deeper reading here are some discussions I would recommend to help you become a good RC pilot.

Six Keys to Success
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355208

THINGS TO CHECK ON AN RTF
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767681

Amps vs Volts vs. C
http://www.ampaviators.com/index.php...d=37&Itemid=27

EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT ELECTRIC FLIGHT
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7100376/tm.htm