Thats crazy!.. very cool! thanks for sharing
Mark
kram242 is offline Find More Posts by kram242
Old Dec 12, 2007, 05:35 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
it doesn't work on anything absorbent... if that top layer of paint isn't willing to come off when you roll paper and things over it, you can't get the cool effects. It may be possible, but you'd have to be at least as quick as this guy here. There's a lot of other effects you can do too that he hasn't done in this vid, like with the planet, crumple paper, and put a curved and textured look to it, comes up great.

...actually, the coolest effect for these night-scapes is to get the white can, and push into the page with the nozzle, make awesome looking comets.

My father and I did this as a potential way to make money at the local fair... it broke even, most people just like to watch (if you get good, you can have enormous crowds watching, but as soon as you're looking for anyone to hand over money they all walk away). Needs to be a really money-spendy atmosphere for it to work (high tourist areas, etc).
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Dec 12, 2007, 06:22 PM
Joined Dec 2005
915 Posts
THAT IS REALLY COOL.........

Some folks are so very talented !

The Fonz
The Fonz is online now Find More Posts by The Fonz
Old Dec 12, 2007, 07:09 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Sep 2006
640 Posts
When I was on my Honeymoon in Cancun there were alot of guys and gals doing this form of painting on the street corner for extra money....Of course I bought 3 of them... REALLY COOL!!!!
xtremeRCpilot is online now Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
Old Dec 12, 2007, 07:23 PM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
812 Posts
Waaaaay Cool.
Chatenever is online now Find More Posts by Chatenever
Old Dec 12, 2007, 07:45 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
Thats is amazing. Thanks for sharing that.
Matt Chester is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chester
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2007, 04:43 AM
Starting to Rebuild
Fayetteville NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,028 Posts
I can see the foam absorbing the paint, another thing I I noticed is that the layers were pretty heavy with paint it i's water based it wouldn't be a problem other than weight, but if not than it would eat the foam and be heavy. If nothing else it does inspire to me to try painting again. I miss art school.
Wingnut31 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut31
Old Dec 13, 2007, 06:06 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
Cool!!!..a gimmick, but Cool!!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:19 AM
South Korea
Joined Sep 2003
113 Posts
Wow!!
tnt2000 is offline Find More Posts by tnt2000
Old Dec 13, 2007, 02:03 PM
Hungary
Joined Feb 2007
107 Posts
COOOOL!!!
I wish i could do it as well... Looks awesome!
Dimitry999 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitry999
Old Dec 13, 2007, 04:35 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitry999
COOOOL!!!
I wish i could do it as well... Looks awesome!
It's a system, it's not a skill. The way Bob Ross used to paint was a system too, but this isn't anywhere near as hard as what he was teaching. Anyone can do it, it's really not that hard. Just a little practice to see what things do what, and get a feel for how fast and how much paint you need to throw on. Anyone can spray white paint into their fingertips and flick them at a piece of cardboard to make stars, anyone can hold the white can upside down and push the nozzle into the painting to make a comet... etc etc.

If anyone thinks it's really groovy, they should give it a try, you'll surprise yourself and it is certainly fun

...when you get the techniques down you'll be making very presentable works. Then you can get creative on how you can make them even more interesting and varied.

To start, you dont need very good paint, so no need for the dearer cans... but the cardboard needs to have a shiny finish to be able to push the paint around. If the paper is very absorbent, you wont be having anywhere near as much fun.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 04:41 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
just watching the video again... that guy really did miss all the fun stuff.. planet halo's, eclipses, comets, birdies, waterfalls... pah.

...who wants a tutorial of all the fun stuff?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 05:00 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
Km , having been a professional artist for the past 37 years , we've run across many Quickie painting techniques ... we used to call them "buckeye paintings" ... catch an eye , make a buck ... Perfect for the street vendors that display their works in public markets ...not really a serious artistic pursuit , but great entertainment when seen live , and a modest source of income for the artist... We had a guy here on Jackson Square that did these for several years ...seemed to do pretty well as long as the buyer saw the piece being made ... viewing a large number of these works , they always to suffer from the repetitious nature of this technique , and the lack of any further creative effort beyond the basic painting system... adding the "fun stuff" would have given it some originality and transcended the sameness of the display...
We'd love to see your take on the" fun stuff" ...

this technique might work well on a shiny or skinned foam ... something to try anyway ... more decorating options ...and not just 'happy little trees"...hahahahahaha
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Dec 14, 2007, 01:05 AM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Aug 2005
521 Posts
I've never painted myself (but can draw) and tried this and i'd say i did an A job well done! The thing is...there's minor skills needed to do this type of painting which is great for most ages to learn!
How easy it is to perform I'm happy i stumbled across this new technique!
I love the painting though! Great job
Nooflyer is online now Find More Posts by Nooflyer