Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 11, 2007, 04:13 PM
wishes this caption was longe
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
Discussion
TD Supra vs. E-Supra rudder comparison

I have an extra TD Supra rudder and would like to use it in an upcoming E-supra build. Do you think I can get away with it? Are there any differences in the structure or size due to using the rudder to hold the servos?

Since these Supra's are the "production" model, not homebuilt, I would imagine they are somewhat interchangable if I was willing to make some mods.

I am wondering what those mods might be.
will_newton is offline Find More Posts by will_newton
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2007, 06:05 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,866 Posts
Will

I have the winch fuselage and rudder as well as the electric version. Just checked the two rudders they are identical except that there is some extra carbon cloth for the servo mounts on both sides of the skin. The electric rudder control horn has to be mounted higher on the rudder than it would on the winch version, so that the elevtor linkage can be in a straight line (elevator servo underneath).

In short provided you can put a bit of carbon cloth inside where you mount the servos it will be simple enough. You also probably have to remove the ballast tube holders from inside the pod.

I haven't built the winch version yet as the electric version fulfills my needs.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Dec 12, 2007, 08:06 AM
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
Thanks David, I was hoping you'd chime in.
I am thinking about ordering the parts to make a separate electric Supra fuselage for my TD Supra.

I have an extra Supra rudder and elevator, so was wondering if I need the "official" e-supra rudder. Looks like I can use what I've got with a few mods, so at least I don't have to order it along with the new fuselage parts.

Shopping list:
I'm going to order the 2.4 e-supra pod, boom, and V-mount sometime this week. I've got a hacker B-50 carbon LMR that needs a gearbox and prop. I also have a CC-80 ESC, but am likely to need a CC-125 (any ideas here?). Add a 4S lipo and Wheeeeee!!

I purchased a power pod for the TD Supra, which is nice, but-- Cojones no tiene!
Last edited by will_newton; Dec 12, 2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 09:46 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Aug 2004
152 Posts
As David points out the rudder is from a similar mold and just needs a carbon pad for the rudder and elevator servos. The production electric Supras have a hatch in the wing for the receiver to give additional room in the fuse for batteries and controller. A 2.4 friendly pod would allow you to put the RX in the fuselage.

Barry
Blaster is offline Find More Posts by Blaster
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:14 AM
wilson, nc, usa
Joined Dec 2005
2,214 Posts
Ok, I found out that a hacker B50 that didn't come with a gearbox can't have one added to it. Well, it can but the parts and labor equal a new motor's cost.

I placed an order with Blaster AKA Barry from Kennedy Composites for
a pod, boom, v-mount, Neu 1509/1.5D w/6.7:1 GB, CC-125 ESC, HS-168 thin wing servos, and some loooong servo extensions.

Now I need a prop/spinner combo and 4S lipo.

$anta Clau$ i$ going broke!

update-I think once things start arriving, I'm going to start a build thread for the conversion.
Last edited by will_newton; Dec 13, 2007 at 01:53 PM.