SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:39 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Does anyone know a good way to fuelproof l.e.d strips without using clear monokote? I really don't want to go buy a roll for the l.e.ds on the wingtips and top of the tail on my first night flying plane.
Nin3rsAllDay is offline Find More Posts by Nin3rsAllDay
Last edited by Nin3rsAllDay; Sep 08, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:22 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
Thanks We do all do it for a show!

We fly in a neighborhood inside Atlanta city limits, rarely do we go up without a few cars pulling U-turns to check us out Funny though, as much time as we put into these airplanes, a simple quad with lights (looking like a UFO) will actually stop the traffic!
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:26 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin3rsAllDay View Post
Does anyone know a good way to fuel l.e.d strips without using clear monokote? I really don't want to go buy a roll for the l.e.ds on the wingtips and top of the tail on my first night flying plane.
I am not sure what you mean? Maybe something got lost in translation?

Monokote is for covering? I dont think you can use monokote to power ("fuel"?) LED lights.

Perhaps if you could post a pic or two it might help?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:42 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,692 Posts
I think he's looking for a way to fuelproof his LED's. He must be flying an icky-oil machine! Just kidding of course. Since all I fly now is electric, I have no idea on what to use to keep the oil residue off the lights, other than to switch to electric...
harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:49 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
Ah, that makes much more sense now!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:50 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Joined Nov 2004
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Thanks We do all do it for a show!

We fly in a neighborhood inside Atlanta city limits, rarely do we go up without a few cars pulling U-turns to check us out Funny though, as much time as we put into these airplanes, a simple quad with lights (looking like a UFO) will actually stop the traffic!
I nite-fly in two locations, our club field which has ball fields behind us, and an open field a few blocks from my home, next to a shopping center. Both places have large crowds in and out and of course lots of curious people. And you're right, a quad with lights looks and fly's like nothing from this world! I'd love to have one for nite-flying but I'm not a heli-guy and don't have the skills...
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymc View Post
I think he's looking for a way to fuelproof his LED's. He must be flying an icky-oil machine! Just kidding of course. Since all I fly now is electric, I have no idea on what to use to keep the oil residue off the lights, other than to switch to electric...

You are correct, I didn't notice I left the word proof out of my post. I'm sure one day I may convert my night flyer to electric but just not at this time.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:45 PM
Dark Yet??
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Dec 2009
1,526 Posts
You can use water proof LEDs, but they are heavier. I don't think nitro residue will hurt the LED strip. It has a solder mask over most of it.

Maybe try LED strip inside of a drinking straw.
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:32 AM
Joined Apr 2009
14 Posts
48epp night flyer SW yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randino View Post
Has anyone tried mounting LED on white EPP foam with the LEDs facing inward? It seems like most of the light would still make its way through the foam, although it would be scattered in more directions.
this is mine [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Name: IMG_20120905_180737.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 120.7 KB
Description: [/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
hope you like 95% all inside over 200 leds and around 70g 60 leds@10g
Prodigious is offline Find More Posts by Prodigious
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:40 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,384 Posts
Purty!
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
Progress is being made

Finally got a chance to work some more on my night flyer project, i just need to cover the sides of the fuse and reinstall the motor and it should be ready to go.

I also think I figured out a way to fuelproof the led strips. I had a can of clear lusterkote laying around so I'm going to do a test with that to see if it will work.

Night flyer (0 min 33 sec)
Last edited by Nin3rsAllDay; Sep 27, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:23 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Joined Nov 2004
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
purty!
+1 :-)
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:26 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Joined Nov 2004
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin3rsAllDay View Post
Finally got a chance to work some more on my night flyer project, i just need to cover the sides of the fuse and reinstall the motor and it should be ready to go.

I also thing I figured out a way to fuelproof the led strips. I had a can of clear lusterkote laying around so I'm going to do a test with that to see if it will work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6tq...e_gdata_player
That looks great!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:50 PM
Dark Yet??
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Dec 2009
1,526 Posts
N3rs......

Tell us some more about your plane. Is that colored monokote with white lights or clear covering with colored lights on the wing? LED strip or single LEDs? Looks like some strip strobing and in the fuse.
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Jun 2012
307 Posts
All are strip LEDs, the plane is covered in white monokote with the different colored LEDs. The LEDs are a combination of the strips from hobbyking and hobbypartz. The wing has a section of three LEDs between each rib with a two sections out on each wingtip. The strobing effect on the tail and wingtips was created with a controller that I got from user BOMBAY on RCG.

The plane itself is a world models p-47, I think it was part of their combat series where the only difference between the models is the covering scheme. I have also installed a remote switch so I can turn them on and off via my radio. It is a nitro plane that will be powered most likely by an OS 40 LA.