HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:08 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Thanks KTM, hoping to maiden tonight.

The soldering I'm actually pretty good at and wasn't too bad. Yes, the final tie together had to be done on the plane. The biggest problem was trying to strip those mil spec wires that close to the fuse. Have a nice solder station, great dykes, good tools for cutting the foam, etc...But I realize now that I REALLY need a set of these. Would have easily cut 2-4hrs off the total job. Amazing how much faster things go when you have the right tools.

Full write up on the job in the 38" Slick thread, page 27.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:44 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett View Post
Could use the circuit board from an old servo? It's designed to work at that voltage. Connect the LEDs to the motor wires. You'd probably have to leave the pot connected, or replace it with one or two resistors.
You mean use the speed controller from the board of a servo? I'm not sure how you would control that. A servo runs the motor if the incoming PWM and the measured position don't match - otherwise the motor is off. And when it's running, it's running with full voltage. I'm not sure how you would keep the motor running. A better idea would be to simply use the servo to turn a pot... but that adds mechanical issues.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:44 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
Thanks KTM, hoping to maiden tonight.

The soldering I'm actually pretty good at and wasn't too bad. Yes, the final tie together had to be done on the plane. The biggest problem was trying to strip those mil spec wires that close to the fuse. Have a nice solder station, great dykes, good tools for cutting the foam, etc...But I realize now that I REALLY need a set of these. Would have easily cut 2-4hrs off the total job. Amazing how much faster things go when you have the right tools.
Damn you. Amazon Click Once is evil. Have one on the way. And while I was at it, some new tips for my soldering iron, and a new butane powered soldering iron. $100 out the window just cause I clicked on a link.

Speaking of the right tool for the job... Butane powered soldering iron with the "blow torch" tip installed is PERFECT for shrinking heat shrink, especially in tight spaces where you don't want to melt something nearby (like EPP). All the ones I see have adjustable flame, so you can dial in just a tiny flame and it will get the job done very nicely. Just use a little piece of card stock to shield and you are golden...

I've had one for like 10+ years and the valve on it isn't working all that hot anymore. Its more on or off, with a very finicky "somewhere in the middle" adjustment...

I hate doing jobs without the right tools... Probably the reason why I have so many...
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:25 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
Quote:
And when it's running, it's running with full voltage. I'm not sure how you would keep the motor running.
Not the one's I've taken apart. If you disconnect the pot from the gears and set it to about the middle position, it works as a reversable, proportional speed control.

Here's a guide on how to turn a servo into a geared motor with built-in speed control for a small robot.
http://windisch.co.uk/robots/howto/m...cro9_servo.htm

Quote:
I'm not sure how you would keep the motor running.
The motor keeps running until the pot matches the input signal, but the pot is now fixed so it stays running until you send it a signal that matches the pot.

Years ago I modified a couple of standard sized servos, glued old CDs to the output disks as wheels and made a neat little skid-steering robot to drive around the house.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:53 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Had fun last night, but was not in the groove. Was a bit too windy as well. Crashed the 33" and 38"...Only damage was a prop to the 38, and a small piece of wing tip that needs to be glued on the 33" The crashes made for some cool shots though.
Last edited by StormJunkie; Mar 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:58 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett View Post
Not the one's I've taken apart. If you disconnect the pot from the gears and set it to about the middle position, it works as a reversable, proportional speed control.

Here's a guide on how to turn a servo into a geared motor with built-in speed control for a small robot.
http://windisch.co.uk/robots/howto/m...cro9_servo.htm

The motor keeps running until the pot matches the input signal, but the pot is now fixed so it stays running until you send it a signal that matches the pot.

Years ago I modified a couple of standard sized servos, glued old CDs to the output disks as wheels and made a neat little skid-steering robot to drive around the house.
OK I get it yeah, that makes sense... I won't be doing it though, because I have a couple brushed ESCs and those are much cheaper than the time it would take to modify a servo.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:42 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Parkin lot night fly with the 38" slick...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 02:02 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
Just got this wire stripper in. Works AWESOME! Couldn't imagine trying to do small wiring jobs without it from now on...
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:32 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,463 Posts
led flying wing (2 min 33 sec)
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:47 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Nice flying wing. Which wing is that?
Nice LED setup.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:51 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,463 Posts
thanks alot! It is just a simple wing I made but its motor is on the front to keep the noise down so I dont bother the neighbors. It has a kfstep in the wing and two angled fins. It flies nice and slow and looks good in the sky.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:53 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,463 Posts
geobat led (3 min 35 sec)
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:59 PM
Night Flyer
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined May 2005
324 Posts
rcrich...Nice job lighting it up.
phil007 is offline Find More Posts by phil007
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:24 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,076 Posts
That's an awesome looking wing! Do you have any pics of it?
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Trinidad Scorpion
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:22 AM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,463 Posts
wing

wing led