HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:38 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
I just took a closer look at my buck huck... Didn't realize there were already holes in each wing rib! You are correct. It wouldn't take much to fish some wire through the wing and put some LEDs on the wing tips! And yes you could very easily put some LEDs pointing down/forward on the bottom of the fuse somewhere so you could light up the runway.

Hmm... Might need to get me a small brushed ESC so I can turn the landing lights on and off... Inspiration is flowing...
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Ahh, now there's another good idea. I like the idea of being able to turn the landing lights on and off. That way i could put the high powered whites down there. Not a huge fan of the whites for in air flight, but for landing that would be great. Let me know how it goes! Have a feeling you will get to the Buck Huck before I get to the Slick.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:56 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
GWS makes some small brushed ESCs for not a whole lot of money that are really light. I'm sure one of these (or something similar) would do the job nicely.

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V533528
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:00 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
I don't know how quick I'll jump on lighting up the buck huck. At the moment it is my only balsa 3D plane, and I really want to keep it as my primary flier and light as possible.

Wanting to get a 3DHS 87" Extra for this flying season. Also wanting to get a Super Vyper... I do that and the buck huck will certainly be getting some lights!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:00 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
Ahh, now there's another good idea. I like the idea of being able to turn the landing lights on and off.
This is shown in the video you didn't watch

At the end, I show how to use an ESC as a dimmer switch. It doesn't work wonderfully on only 4.2V, but if I could figure out how to turn off the LVC it would be fine.

All About LEDs for RC Night Flying (23 min 52 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:52 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
This is shown in the video you didn't watch

At the end, I show how to use an ESC as a dimmer switch. It doesn't work wonderfully on only 4.2V, but if I could figure out how to turn off the LVC it would be fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NC2IGVWUew
Hey jasmine... One thing about videos, and the interweb, they usually have to be short or no one will watch them. I'm interested in watching it, but the 23 minute run time is an initial put off (no matter how high quality and informational the video is).

May I politely and helpfully make the recommendation that you split your video up in to sections and post each one individually? More people would watch it, and it would be easier to recommend a certain video that will tell the viewer what they want (rather than having to skip around). Split it up in to 3 or 4 or 5 different videos and I bet it gets a lot more views!

PS Maybe I'll try to block off a half hour tonight and watch the whole thing.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:08 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Watch the first 10 seconds and you'll see what I did. I've been doing videos for a long time and I'm well aware of all that. The fact of the matter is, I'm doing a free service to the community and making and managing 7 videos is a wicked pain in the butt, when one video will do just fine. I don't expect people to watch the whole thing if they don't need to know all the stuff that is in it.

If you go to the video watch page, you have a clickable table of contents for the video... but that doesn't show up when I paste it here.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:53 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Watch the first 10 seconds and you'll see what I did. I've been doing videos for a long time and I'm well aware of all that. The fact of the matter is, I'm doing a free service to the community and making and managing 7 videos is a wicked pain in the butt, when one video will do just fine. I don't expect people to watch the whole thing if they don't need to know all the stuff that is in it.

If you go to the video watch page, you have a clickable table of contents for the video... but that doesn't show up when I paste it here.
Wasn't trying to knock your effort or insinuate that you didn't know what you were doing, just trying to offer some constructive criticism. Making and editing a 23 minute video is a wicked pain in the ass. Splitting it up into 7 videos would seem like a cake walk compared to that!

You said in another thread that you wanted this video to become widely distributed and viewed. All I'm saying is when I see that it is a 23 minute long video, it is a put off, and I'm sure others hesitate to click and view because of that!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:59 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
To add to what KTM is saying, if videos are broken in to subject (ie. "Picking LED's, "Wiring choices", "soldering LEDs", "Controllable switch lights", "illumination for orientation", etc) people are more likely to watch the segment they need instead of bypassing the whole video and seeking answers elsewhere.

On another note, I'm smack dab in the middle of wiring up the 38" EPP Slick Time consuming to say the least.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:34 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Just watched the whole video. Nicely done! I can't imagine how many hours of editing and shooting that took.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Thanks! Maybe I will split it up into parts. I know the rules

Thing is, I look at the audience retention stats for it, and with 700 views, it's not bad. Looks like people watch it mostly to the end. Might get more views in total with parts, but it's a little work to do it up. From the point of view of Adsense, it probably works better too, cuz some people would see multiple ads then. I will be doing some more vids soon (working on "clone vs align" now). I just got a new high quality HD camera so editing is a little slow but it will look better than the old camera.

Anyway the next thing I plan to do is work up a constant current driver for my LEDs and see what I can do with that. I have some LED kits to build for people too.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:42 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Maidened my FF 32" Edge with fluorescent paint and UV lights just now and it was pretty bitchin! Wind is still pretty gusty but I had to put it up for at least one flight... (then I did another)

Not incredibly bright, but plenty to get a very good sense of orientation on the plane. The UV lights are "dim" enough that you aren't blinded or distracted by them, and most of your attention is drawn to the paint (which is what I was hoping for).

Yellow and orange show up the best. Blue is kind of dark... Orange and pink look almost the same at a distance. Will have to try out some green on the next one I do...

Hope I didn't wake up any of the neighbors!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:00 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Did not think about the search engine/adsense factor....Splitting it up in to parts should add to both of those with good key words.

KTM, glad the maiden went well! Definetely a different perspective than I take on my rigs with the "non-blinding" lights Bet it looks really cool though. Personally I prefer the lights to be as bright as I can get them...Speaking of, I finally mostly finished the 38" Slick install. Only took about 12hrs...lol
Old Mar 15, 2012, 04:56 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
Quote:
ESC as a dimmer switch. It doesn't work wonderfully on only 4.2V
Could use the circuit board from an old servo? It's designed to work at that voltage. Connect the LEDs to the motor wires. You'd probably have to leave the pot connected, or replace it with one or two resistors.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:02 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
KTM, glad the maiden went well! Definetely a different perspective than I take on my rigs with the "non-blinding" lights Bet it looks really cool though. Personally I prefer the lights to be as bright as I can get them...Speaking of, I finally mostly finished the 38" Slick install. Only took about 12hrs...lol
Man that looks cool, and BRIGHT!!! Amazing how long it takes to wire these damn things up isn't it!!! Lil' iddy biddy wire and you pretty much have to finish the job with the wires installed in the plane, so trying to solder your "home run" lines all together right next to the foam fuse with carbon bracing all over the place is always exciting too.

I'm getting faster at it now that I've got some experience under my belt, but it is certainly tedious!