HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2010, 08:15 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,234 Posts
Trees:
Keep your plane away from the water this time.
Rob
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2010, 11:59 AM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,437 Posts
I could not imagine trying to hit 3 switches just to get some pretty lights. I have a hard time hitting 1 for dual rates.
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Sep 01, 2010, 01:21 PM
Mr. Breeze
United States, GA, Winder
Joined Nov 2009
2,674 Posts
Maybe I need to grow more fingers...Ha! I dont plan on switching all the time. Just mainly wanted to see if the DX6i could really do it. And like trees said, it was a pain in the butt...
Oh and I asked my wife about the light show Moe, its a no go. lol
Ho-Jazz is offline Find More Posts by Ho-Jazz
Old Sep 01, 2010, 02:14 PM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho-Jazz View Post
Maybe I need to grow more fingers...Ha! I dont plan on switching all the time. Just mainly wanted to see if the DX6i could really do it. And like trees said, it was a pain in the butt...
Well at least you tried. lol If you dont ask you would have never known. WE will surely be flying on Sunday and Monday. I am debating on going to GMARC Saturday for Warbirds over Atlanta.
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Sep 01, 2010, 03:25 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Quote:
Shouldn't really be that hard...

Let's say you wanted dim lights most of the time, and a brighter pop when you hit the aileron... and you plugged your ESC into the GEAR channel.

Turn on your lights, flip the gear switch to min, then go into the travel adjust and bump up the minimum value until the lights get to the minimum brightness you want. This limits the gear channel, so it can't go below that level whatever it is, even if your mixing would drive it over the limit.

Now, go into your mixing screen, and do Aileron->Gear for the mixing channels, and then do like -20% for one direction, and wiggle the aileron stick and see what effect it has - if the lights go down, switch to +20%

Then go into your servo monitor screen, and you can see what's happening on the Gear channel - you basically want any aileron movement to move the gear channel to the right (increase). If it's all set up right, then leaving the gear switch on min would give you the dimming effect, and putting the gear switch up would give you full on.

Only real problem I can see is issue with the ESC itself, maybe it needs an arming sequence or it auto-adjusts, meaning you might not be able to arm it, or it might ignore your reduction of the travel on that channel, and consider your new range to be to full zero to 100% throttle travel. Basically, you need a dumb ESC with no safety features. An old GWS brushed would be great for it.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 01, 2010, 04:28 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Trees, thanks for the heads up on the DX6i. I sat down last night and was able to use both the mixes on the gear channel. It seems to have 5 different brightness levels now depending on where the 3 swithes are set. It is a whole lot of switch flipping though...But it does work.
No problem. I'm glad it al worked out with some persistence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Trees:
Keep your plane away from the water this time.
Rob
Yeah, that's a problem. I usually fly kinda late and those guys near the local park (with guns) are whiners. The water location is the next closest spot with enough space. The Reaper is still in dry dock actually. I need to get it back in the air. I've been flying slope all summer so the Reaper has had no love since the water expedition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post
I could not imagine trying to hit 3 switches just to get some pretty lights. I have a hard time hitting 1 for dual rates.
Ho Jazz must have setup a little differently than me. My setup only uses one switch for on/off and the ailerons stick handles the dimming while I fly. I can set the "off" position to just be a solid, no dimmable level instead of turning the lights off. Another thing to note is that I have to have the flap switch in the correct position when I power up or things don't work correctly. The power-up position would depend on your setup.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Sep 01, 2010, 05:05 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
2,856 Posts
Had another good flight last night.

Night Flying the Gaui 330X (7 min 48 sec)
ColoradoHeliNut is online now Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Last edited by ColoradoHeliNut; Sep 06, 2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 10:38 PM
Mr. Breeze
Joined Nov 2009
2,674 Posts
Trees, I did not want it to dim while giving inputs flying. I used gear>gear mix on mix one and mix two. Oh and that water can get your plane sometimes...It should have had enoguh time to dry out though!!
Old Sep 02, 2010, 12:13 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Gotcha. I'm going to alter my setup. It would be nice to have a dim mode for launching and landing and a "blaze" mode for flying.

Yeah, it is time to get the "Night Reaper" back in the air.

The Easy Star should be ready for a night maiden in a couple of hours. I might wait till tomorrow night depending on my energy level. It's just a basic setup with leftover stuff but it should make for a fun and relaxing night flyer.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 02:16 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
The Easy Star night maiden was a success but I'd be lying if I said it took place without people shooting at my plane (or me?). The people in this town are nuts. Luckily they can't aim to save their life so the plane soared in it's glowing glory through the star speckled night. I'll get some pics and possibly video when I'm fortunate enough to have company on a night outing.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 03:50 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
2,856 Posts
& people want to know why the Gov. doesn't give full disclosure or ET won't make themselves know to all. All the nut jobs would come out shooting.
ColoradoHeliNut is online now Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Sep 02, 2010, 10:13 PM
Mr. Breeze
Joined Nov 2009
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trees View Post
The Easy Star night maiden was a success but I'd be lying if I said it took place without people shooting at my plane (or me?). The people in this town are nuts. Luckily they can't aim to save their life so the plane soared in it's glowing glory through the star speckled night. I'll get some pics and possibly video when I'm fortunate enough to have company on a night outing.
Dang Man!! Be safe flying that thing at night in your town...
You could always bring it down here to GA, us southern boys are used to seeing them thar UFO's.......We grab the camera, not a shotgun...
Old Sep 02, 2010, 10:18 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,024 Posts
shooting? your supposed to fly early before the locals get drunk
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Sep 03, 2010, 12:28 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Ok, GA is marked as a safe fly zone.

Verticalspark, I think these guys drink beer for breakfast or maybe they're just angry souls.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 02:18 AM
san francisco
Joined Nov 2003
33 Posts
Here Is Mine

Here is One of my night flyers
mike p de l is offline Find More Posts by mike p de l