HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2010, 04:30 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Several people (including myself) have carved channels to make sure the LEDs do not cause drag. Others have placed them inside a semi-transparent fuselage and wing. Most people have just applied them to the surface. I have not heard of any complaints of adverse drag or other ill effects.

The HK leds consist of strips with small square leds mounted on top. As mentioned, they stick up approx 2mm. There are other strips on the market that are either a flat tape or slightly contoured that would cause less drag. They, however, are more expensive and heavier from what I have seen.

Take a look back through the thread at the number of people mounting them directly on top of the wing and fuselage. It doesn't mean you should go jump off the same proverbial bridge. But the lack of complaints or warnings should tell us something...mainly that it is not a problem to mount them on top.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2010, 05:31 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
It is a secret

Basically though, I know how I want to do everything on the airframe. It's just that if the lights will stick up a lot from the surface, I will want to put them inside, too keep the wing smooth. If the lights will be ok on the outside, then it will be easier to build the plane, and I might even build two of them, to test some features of the design. I can't dig the strips into a channel with this design.
I have a radian that is loaded down with LED strips from Low Price RC, same as the HK's just different style packaging and lengths available. I noticed no real change in how it flies. There is no lift at night like during the day, so it does sink faster, but she still floats very well. Just apply them smoothly and I think you will be fine. If the material on the exterior of the plane is sturdy, you can try it and if you don't like it, then peel them off.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Aug 02, 2010, 05:58 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
The material you're using to build your plane is a secret?
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Aug 02, 2010, 06:19 PM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,312 Posts
The scaled effect of the HK led strips is negliglble. I have 4 * 1 metre strips on the upper and lower wings in an arrow pattern about 20mm back from the leading edge on a Maxi swift wing and any effect hasn't been noticed yet.

My advice build a quick and easy version of something to fly using your top secret stuff put the lights on the surface and see what you think. Best way to tell is personal preference.

Quote:
Hey... on those HK light strips... how tall are they? I mean, does the LED stick up real far or is it flat?
flyingrally is offline Find More Posts by flyingrally
Old Aug 02, 2010, 06:29 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
It is very strange that we haven't heard anything about the effects of the strips on the flight. It might even be making the plane fly better...

The lack of complaints doesn't really tell me anything. I've got an unusual application, and efficiency will be important. I don't want to add a lot of drag - concerned about the weight too, but I think the strips are lighter than wires and resistors.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 02, 2010, 06:33 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trees View Post
The material you're using to build your plane is a secret?
Kind of... yeah... it's not unobtanium, but it's a weird usage. If it works, then I'll post it and you guys can show me all the people who thought of it first. But if it doesn't work, then I don't have to suffer the ridicule I will so richly deserve
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Aug 02, 2010, 07:15 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
It is very strange that we haven't heard anything about the effects of the strips on the flight. It might even be making the plane fly better...

The lack of complaints doesn't really tell me anything. I've got an unusual application, and efficiency will be important. I don't want to add a lot of drag - concerned about the weight too, but I think the strips are lighter than wires and resistors.
The lack of complaints or warnings from people can tell a person quite a lot really.

I asked the same question (do they increase drag...should I top mount them or inset them?) to a flying wing designer. He indicated that when enough were added he did notice increased drag. He also stated that the effects were small enough not to worry.

If you have a concern that it will have a detrimental effect on your particular application, then mount them inside. There are plenty of others in this thread that have done so with brilliant results. An added benefit to mounting them inside is protection from the elements and reduced risk of damaging them on belly landings or less than graceful landings.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Aug 02, 2010, 07:32 PM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Quote:
Kind of... yeah... it's not unobtanium, but it's a weird usage. If it works, then I'll post it and you guys can show me all the people who thought of it first. But if it doesn't work, then I don't have to suffer the ridicule I will so richly deserve
Interesting. Can't wait to see it.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Old Aug 03, 2010, 02:40 AM
Electric only
Graz - Austria
Joined Nov 2002
287 Posts
I also found no effects. Xeno with lots of them (270) and no difference against before or when flying with other Xenos. Funjet with 260 and also no change. I had this concern when I first glued some strips at the rudder and elevator of an Oracovered plane but it doesn't seem to matter much.

RK
rkopka is offline Find More Posts by rkopka
Old Aug 03, 2010, 05:01 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,026 Posts
Quote:

I can tell that the light strips affected the way my T-28 flies. It takes a little longer for it to take off and it needs to land faster. It's not the floater it used to be. I'm pretty sure it's because of how/where I mounted the light strips. It's not the weight, but the way the light strips interrupt the flow of air over the wings. That's okay, as it still flies fine once it's in the air. I will post pics of it when I get home.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Aug 04, 2010, 05:49 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,376 Posts
Mike, that strip on the LE of the wing is in the most critical part of the aerofoil. If you moved them back an inch they wouldn't such an effect.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Aug 04, 2010, 08:38 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
7,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett View Post
Mike, that strip on the LE of the wing is in the most critical part of the aerofoil. If you moved them back an inch they wouldn't such an effect.
Yeah, I figured I was rolling the dice when I placed the strips where I did. Like I said, it takes a little longer to take off and needs to land a little faster, but other than that it flies fine. I hate to move the strips unless I absolutely have to... when it's coming straight at you, you either see the blue (top) or white (bottom) so there's no question about orientation.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2010, 09:58 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,111 Posts
wow, that t-28 is really bright!
verticalspark is online now Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shooting my AR pistol
Old Aug 04, 2010, 10:46 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
7,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
wow, that t-28 is really bright!
Yup, and if it survives Friday night, I plan to take it to Myrtle Beach for a little night-time beach flying in September.
RCG Plus Member