HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:41 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,154 Posts
I got a couple of E-mails asking where to get the #16D camera. There are some fakes out there but this dealer is the manufacturer.

http://stores.ebay.com/eletoponline3...p2047675.l2563

I like the V2 with the D lens.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:28 PM
Click my name for night blades
United States, PA, Warminster
Joined Nov 2011
81 Posts
Thanks for the Link Lee. Ordered the 16G 120deg #16D cam should be here next month hopefully on the next slow boat from China that sets sail after my HK order ordered last month .

Awesome video mclarkson! How did you cut that together like that? And also very befitting song . I thought it was several planes at first, very cool!
Timtreo is offline Find More Posts by Timtreo
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:22 AM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,347 Posts
Thanks so much, Tim. I was actually trying something a little different in that one - after 150 or so videos, I get a little bored.

[long boring explanation]
I use Adobe Premiere to edit all my videos. I was doing some long exposure photos of one of my planes and rubber-banded one of my little #11 key cameras to the lens barrel, strictly to record motor sounds for another project. I've never shot any footage using a tripod before; I almost always use my 'hatcam' setup.

Shooting in the dark with a tripod opened up some new editing possibilities. I played with achieving light trails in a previous video. In that one, I manually created about 8 copies of the same video, each offset one frame in time and each only 75% as bright as the previous. I put these layers in SCREEN transfer mode, which basically adds the brightness from a layer to the layer below it.

For this one, I wasn't sure if I should use my regular #11, or the one I've JB Welded a fisheye lens onto, so I actually rubber-banded both cameras to my SLR's lens barrel. When I was editing the video together, I synched the two videos and placed one on top of the other in SCREEN transfer mode, allowing me to pick the one that had the best view of every shot.

I found that I liked some of the shots with both cameras. Since they have different lenses, the plane looks slightly different in each so, even if the same section of both videos is running, the perspective is different on each reinforcing the idea that you're looking at two different planes.

Then I decided to use the same effect for most of the cuts. Instead of cutting from A to B, I would start B, but let A continue to run until the plane naturally flew out of frame, if possible.
[/long boring explanation]

Glad you liked it. Remember to subscribe to me on YouTube.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Last edited by mclarkson; Dec 07, 2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Nov 2011
81 Posts
That's pretty cool how you did that, thanks for explaining it but still . I have Adobe Premiere Elements 9 but after 2 years I'm still learning the basics of it . I think they should come with an on-line collegiate course. I tried to download the "inspiration browser", which is supposed to be some kind of tutorial I guess, but it never downloads just looks like it's trying to for an hour until I just cancel it. Looks like you are using Premiere Pro which would confuse me even more I'm sure . The screen shot you have there shows "time remapping", that I have never stumbled across on my version. Have any links to an Adobe site or something that might help me get more out of my rather dated Elements 9? I have seen a couple youtube videos with 6 year olds explaining things (still I get confused ). Very cool job again on the video! I'll subscribe to your tube channel (I'm timmytube460 ).
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:26 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timtreo View Post
That's pretty cool how you did that, thanks for explaining it but still . I have Adobe Premiere Elements 9 but after 2 years I'm still learning the basics of it . I think they should come with an on-line collegiate course. I tried to download the "inspiration browser", which is supposed to be some kind of tutorial I guess, but it never downloads just looks like it's trying to for an hour until I just cancel it. Looks like you are using Premiere Pro which would confuse me even more I'm sure . The screen shot you have there shows "time remapping", that I have never stumbled across on my version. Have any links to an Adobe site or something that might help me get more out of my rather dated Elements 9? I have seen a couple youtube videos with 6 year olds explaining things (still I get confused ). Very cool job again on the video! I'll subscribe to your tube channel (I'm timmytube460 ).
I've used premiere for a long time now... I think a very good place to find help is on the Adobe forums. Over the years I've discovered a few tips for using it...

1. Establish a workflow, and do every video the same way.
2. Learn the keyboard shortcuts
3. Learn to use titles properly and quickly... both the "default" titles and the media ones.
4. Learn to use transitions properly.
5. Don't worry about learning all the fancy effects unless you really need to for something special, focus on learning to be efficient with basic tasks, cutting and arranging clips.

Here's what I do, every time...
1. Create my project, selecting the appropriate edit mode
2. Import ALL the video and stills I want to use.
3. Watch the clips and get a mental picture of my video plan... except with HD which I watch in media player before creating my project
4. I drag each clip and still to the timeline in the order I need them to be.
5. Starting at the beginning, I watch the video clips in order, cutting them for in and out points and deleting unwanted parts.
6. After I make all my cuts, I add my transitions... usually I use the same one for all transitions, and I use the simple ones... dissolve, wipe, cut to black, etc
7. I add my titles after the transitions
8. Add intro and ending, fades, etc

I don't add music to my videos any more, but that changes the workflow. Video editing is tedious, there isn't a way around that.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:26 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,347 Posts
My workflow is very similar to yours.

I almost always add music as it gives me a framework to cut around, and forces me to limit the video to 3 minutes or so.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:42 AM
Joined Nov 2011
81 Posts
Hey thanks guys I'll check out those Adobe forums. That's a good idea to have a whole plan with steps. I like to add music too as I usually cut my clip lengths to total the the whole song time also.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:51 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2011
51 Posts
quad legs

Hey gb, what are you using for the legs on the night flying quad. thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmarsh View Post
Thanks, the LEDs are the high density stick on ones that HobbyKing sells. I used 2x 3 LED segments in the base of the egg pointing forward.

Like this:
Attachment 5226515

Cheers,
Geoff
jabbey71 is offline Find More Posts by jabbey71
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:31 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbey71 View Post
Hey gb, what are you using for the legs on the night flying quad. thanks
Hi jabbey71,
The landing legs are pieces of an old carbon fiber arrow shaft with heat shrink on the ends to keep them from splitting and held in place with zip ties.

Cheers,
Geoff
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:48 PM
Night Flyer
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined May 2005
325 Posts
Curtis Youngblood 3D Quad Night Flight (1 min 46 sec)
phil007 is offline Find More Posts by phil007
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:04 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Phil:
do you have any more info on the quad that was used?

Thanks,
Bombay
Night Flying Accessories for Sale (LEDs, controllers)
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:18 PM
Night Flyer
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined May 2005
325 Posts
It will be available soon. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1788191&pp=100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Phil:
do you have any more info on the quad that was used?

Thanks,
Bombay
Night Flying Accessories for Sale (LEDs, controllers)
phil007 is offline Find More Posts by phil007
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:43 AM
Lowand Fast
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined May 2012
80 Posts
FPV Night Landing practice (1 min 50 sec)
JAS3D is offline Find More Posts by JAS3D
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:58 AM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,687 Posts
Very nice! What aircraft were you using there?
harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:19 AM
Lowand Fast
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined May 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymc View Post
Very nice! What aircraft were you using there?
Just a Hobbyking bixler with FPV setup
JAS3D is offline Find More Posts by JAS3D