looks like we finnaly got the forum
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:57 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
I currently have three functional nightflyers in my fleet. A Slow Stick, a geobat-like flying saucer called the "Light Emitting Disc" (LED), and a Glostik.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Dec 12, 2007, 05:51 PM
Restricted User
Frankfurt-region, Germany
Joined Mar 2003
1,468 Posts
Fun

Hi,
at this years inter-ex event we had a nightflying-session. Pilots were wearing caps with small illuminated models of models, so that the audience was able to match the pilot with the model.
http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/at...r-Ex07_238.jpg
Yes, we are a little bit crazy.
more:
http://www.inter-ex.com/english/inte...achtflug01.htm
http://www.inter-ex.com/english/iexoverview1.htm
Stephan
edit: i do not know, why the picture does not show up. Please click the first link.
StephanB is online now Find More Posts by StephanB
Old Dec 13, 2007, 04:08 PM
Over the Hill, 3rd Oak Tree on left
Joined Nov 2005
218 Posts
This is cool !

What lights / system are you guys using ? They seem to be very bright.

CS
Captain Speedy is offline Find More Posts by Captain Speedy
Old Dec 13, 2007, 05:10 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,179 Posts
Nerds!

I love it
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Dec 13, 2007, 09:02 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
This is a Ritewing FS48 built to slope.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:35 AM
Eventually...I will fly
Israel
Joined Oct 2004
884 Posts
Here is mine

Well, congrats on the new forum.
here is my night flyer, it only flew once during daytime to test. i guess it will be after the winter when our nught flying group re-joins.
Eran
eran_k is offline Find More Posts by eran_k
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:48 AM
Restricted User
Frankfurt-region, Germany
Joined Mar 2003
1,468 Posts
Eran,
that illuminated wing is beautiful. Please tell us more about structure of wing and lighting system.
Thanks.
Stephan
StephanB is online now Find More Posts by StephanB
Old Dec 14, 2007, 01:54 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
Here's mine: GWS Beaver, LED's mounted in drinking straws. Running off 6 or 8 cell nimh motor battery. It is not a clean install - wires and lights just taped on for quick removal. But it works great, and I can fly in pitch dark. The landing lights light the runway when I am several feet above.
Colin
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB
Old Dec 14, 2007, 02:58 PM
Eventually...I will fly
Israel
Joined Oct 2004
884 Posts
My light system

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanB
Eran,
that illuminated wing is beautiful. Please tell us more about structure of wing and lighting system.
Thanks.
Stephan
First of all thanks for the compliment, Stephan.

This plane is a very simple 3ch trainer sold here and is called bannana. it's originaly designed for a 1/2A Cox engine. i'm using the 400XT on it.

the light are super bright LED'S that i mounted inside each wing bay,one facing foraward and the next fcaing back, i hope it's clear from the picture of the wing before covering.
for wiring i used "magnet wire" and i made three Bus bars one negative in the midlle and a positive bus at the LE and one at the TE.
each LED is solderd to it's own Resistor and they are all connected in paralel.
on each wing tip i stuck two special wide angle LED's just to make sure left and right will be easily visible from any direction.
the tail is ilimuminated by 6 LED's each two inside a drinking straw and attached on the tips of the stabilizes.
at the front i added (this is not on the pictures) one white super led on each side, sligtly facing downward, to aid in landing.
the whole system is powerd by a small old TP730 3S battery, the system is seperated from the rest of the plane electronics.

Hope it's clear
Eran
eran_k is offline Find More Posts by eran_k
Old Dec 15, 2007, 08:07 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
My Slow Stick with Lights. Here's a short video too, before I added the lights on the edges.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Last edited by jasmine2501; May 18, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:48 AM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
Lee, that is insane...
How hard is it to keep up with?
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Dec 16, 2007, 01:36 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,254 Posts
The 36" Roswell Delta and 36" Pinata are fast but easy to fly. I've flown this style of plane for so many years that isn't a big deal. They will both do vertical performance. You just have to watch out for trees and spectators wandering the flying area.

For those of you still to scared to try flying at night...... Night flying isn't harder than day flying if you know your plane and your flying site. I was very anxious the first time I went out in the night but it was great even with faster planes. The plane flies the same in the dark as in the light so as long as you can see your plane well and you know your flying site you will do just fine.

Fly your plane in the light and get it trimmed in with your light system up and running before you try night flying. A trial run also is a good way to make sure you don't have any loose connections. If your light system fails in the dark it's impossible to land the plane and can be hard to find the plane once it's down. In the video I have a small light stick on each plane in case such an occurrence happens but they were not needed. The Christmas lights worked great.

This video doesn't show much background but the Christmas lights are bright enough to fly in the city against city lights which is not true for the glow sticks. Each plane has 10x 12V lights wired directly to my 3S 1320 TP/PL battery in parallel. If one light gets smashed or burns out the rest of the lights will say on. Each plane only has $2 of lights including the wiring.

Nightflying with Pinata flying wing 11-07 (4 min 20 sec)
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Dec 16, 2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 04:47 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
I keep waiting for Chuck Mangione to start playing. Nice background music.

Flying is not bad either.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71