HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2007, 06:31 PM
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,670 Posts
Discussion
Lowes has Bluelinx 1/4" x 48" x 50' Fanfold Sheathing?

Just what the title says.

Is it the new name for blucor?
Is it the same old protection board?

Either way its 34 bucks and free delivery to your local lowes store.
Also says free shipping on the website but it might be exempt due to size.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...il=&lpage=none
LOGICAL_PSYCHO is offline Find More Posts by LOGICAL_PSYCHO
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2007, 07:27 PM
Louisville, KY
Joined Dec 2007
145 Posts
If it's Tuff-R it's EPS. If it's siding substrate then it may something usable. It's one of those things you need to actually see.

I think Tuff-R is 1/2" minimum, so you're on to something.
globalarray is offline Find More Posts by globalarray
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:48 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,938 Posts
I googled bluelinx to see if someone else is making fanfold, but links took me to a site that appears the company is a major supplier to local stores of brand name building materials, including Dow's products, so as globalarray said, you will have to see it to be sure. no pix on the Lowes or Bluelinx sites, bummer. Maybe you can ask at your local Lowes, see if they have pix. Ours around here sell OC pink fanfold, so they probably arent gonna be too helpful.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:02 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,984 Posts
What springer said... bluelinx is a regional distributor... we have one local and that was one of my first targets to acquire the original bluecor last year and into early this year.

They were more than happy to place an order for me from dow and let me buy it through one of their local customers...

...if I wanted to buy an entire pallet.
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:25 PM
LilliputianPilotSolutions
Crooked River Ranch, Oregon
Joined Jun 2007
368 Posts
I just happen to have finished an exhaustive search for the Dow BlueCor FFF on the West Coast (Calif/Oregon/Washington) and this is what I've learned.

Bluelinx bought out what was Georgia Pacific and is nothing more than a wholesale distributor... they manufacture nothing. They do distribute the Dow BlueCor and Protection Board III foams with both types having the same product code number within the Bluelinx computer system. That's a problem. As both types of foam perform identically within the construction industry as underlayment/moisture barriers... Bluelinx makes no distinction between the two foam types. For the modeller there is however a difference. BlueCor PP is stiffer and has plastic film on both sides of the foam. Protection Board III has plastic only on one side and the foam formulation is different giving you a more flexible foam having a rubbery consistency. BlueCor is the foam of preference.

Retailers (Lowes included) purchasing wholesale from Bluelinx recieve either BlueCor OR PBIII when ordering (remember the Bluelinx product number is the same for both foam products) depending on what Bluelinx happens to be warehousing at that point in time. Also the BlueCor foam seems to be available only in certain regions.

So how do you specifically get BlueCor FFF from Lowes when they wholesale from Bluelinx??? The simple answer is you don't. It's a hit or miss proposition with Protection Board III being the more ubiquitious foam.

There is however a third Dow fan fold foam called Hi-Performance Underlayment PP that is a direct replacement for BlueCor PP. It is identical in everyway to BlueCor with the exceptions of a slightly lighter blue coloration and the foam is not folded... the 2'X4' panels are cut but held together and fan folded using the the plastic skin as the panel hinge.

So if you can't locate Dow BlueCor try locating the Hi-Performance Underlayment PP... exactly the same stuff materialwise. PBIII should be a last resort stand-in for the above two foams.

BOOMER52
BOOMER52 is offline Find More Posts by BOOMER52
Old Dec 14, 2007, 06:38 AM
Into the Wild Blue Wonder
ATL
Joined Jan 2007
1,018 Posts
I use both PBIII and some Blu-core and I beg to differ with Boomer...
PBIII is actually superior to Blu-core in some applications. About the only time Im using blu-core is for quick, profile builds, where single-sheet, non- reinforced strenth is needed. I also use blu-core for bulkheads and formers, where its not nessasry to have to peel the skin.
The PBIII, which gets a bad rap (IMHO), is great for skinning full fuse planes. Its more "rubber-like" qualities are benificial here, and the skin only being on one side is what you want.

Jasta
Jasta_66 is offline Find More Posts by Jasta_66
Old Dec 14, 2007, 09:52 AM
Monson,MA
Joined Mar 2000
525 Posts
The one sided stuff is ok, I was a little disapointed when it came out, but I have found that the one sided stuff can make great large lightweight planes, because the planes are so lightweight you dont need a lot of stiffness. I use spruce strips for wing spars for 30" ws and smaller models , none and have not had any failures..the blue mig is 28" and weighs 8 1/2 oz. RTF the YAK has no spars 24"ws...
Frank Rys is offline Find More Posts by Frank Rys
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:19 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,200 Posts
PB is SUPER for making simple (Ralph) KF wings... rolls well for fuselages too ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw