HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2007, 04:41 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,295 Posts
Discussion
Y-UFO from LA Heli

I am probably one of the first in the US to obtain a Y-UFO Deluxe version from LA Heli. I will be building and taking pictures of it tonight, and will edit this post to show the build of this neat aircraft. I obtained this kit from Pete at http://www.elektrorc.com/index.php?cPath=23_55_56

I will update this post tomorrow, keep your eyes on this thread.
superdave42 is offline Find More Posts by superdave42
Last edited by superdave42; Apr 22, 2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2007, 02:19 AM
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,227 Posts
Yes you are Dave. The kits have just some online in the last week for NA, and are on the ElektroRC.com and GotHeliRC.com sites.

I'm loading all the replacement parts into inventory now, and the good news is the parts prices are very reasonable.

I don't know if you are building the regular (G-10) or the Deluxe (carbon) kit, but I'm going to experiment with making the rudder boom (tail) more visible. In the videos Laheli used a colored flap to make the tail more visible, but I'll start with making the tail boom skid support a bright color. This will create another visual queue on top of the boom being a different color.
RotorCycle is offline Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:52 AM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,295 Posts
Y-ufo Build

I built the Deluxe kit last night, I ordered this on Friday and it arrived Monday.

This was a very pleasant and simple build, I thought it was a nice change form building more complex helicopters.

If any of you have ever build the LA Heli MAXI-R then you will know what to expect from this kit, to me the fit and feel of all the components felt exactly like building the MAXI-R ( High Quality & Simplicity ).

It took me 1 hour to assemble this and the instructions were very good. the photos are posted in the order that I had built it in.

There were some slots in the carbon chassis that had to be filed just a little, but the manual does say you need a file so this step is planned and therefore I did not mind it. ( I don't like having to file when it was not intended).
Make sure to only glue the servo mounts and gyro/rx mount to the top plate ONLY. This way you can take apart the chassis if needed later.

The Electronics appear to be of high quality. the ESC's are rated for 6 AMPS continuous and 12 amps for 20-30 seconds and DO NOT feature a LI-PO low voltage cut-off feature, so you must time your flights or simply add a LI-PO alarm :-).

the Blue (rear) boom has 2 radial ball bearings pre-installed and bonded or pressed on (not sure).

I installed a Spektrum AR6100 RX and I have some doubts about the range because of all the carbon fiber. I did my best to route the little antennas out into the open as you can see from the pictures. I will not recommend this RX setup until I can test and verify that it will be ok, please use your own discretion when mounting your radio link.

The Carbon fiber cover has a hole for the antenna and also the kit includes a long brite orange antenna straw for conventional RX's

Today I will solder all the wires and program my DX-7. I routed the motor and ESC wires under the motor mount to help hide them.

Soo here are the build pictures, please excuse the quality as I am not very good at photography
Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:58 AM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,295 Posts
The rest of the Pics

here are the rest of the build pics,

today at lunch I will finish the soldering and hopefully when I get home tonight I'll be able to try it out. I am going to use a Thunder Power 3S 1320 battery initially.

ENJOY

THANK YOU PWKPETE http://www.elektrorc.com/index.php?cPath=23_55_56
Last edited by superdave420; Dec 12, 2007 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Thanked the wrong gentleman
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:01 AM
Wow That's Cool!
Bay Area, CA
Joined Nov 2004
2,431 Posts
Wow Dave ... not much there ... where is the control board? Or is it controlled via TX mixing?

--Eric--
tend2it is offline Find More Posts by tend2it
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:31 AM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
The control board is visible between the frame plates in the last pic (center front between the red booms).

-Kai
Kai_Shiden is offline Find More Posts by Kai_Shiden
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:38 AM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tend2it
Wow Dave ... not much there ... where is the control board? Or is it controlled via TX mixing?

--Eric--
Yep Kai is correct, it's a very small control module, it is a mixer and 2 gyros.

in fact each 1 of the electronics modules is way smaller then I thought they would be
Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:10 AM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
http://www.laheli.com/files/navody/Y_Ufo_manual.pdf (mechanics manual for the Y-ufo)

http://www.laheli.com/files/navody/EL_Y_Ufo_CZEN.pdf (electronics manual for the Y-ufo)

-Kai
Kai_Shiden is offline Find More Posts by Kai_Shiden
Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:12 AM
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,227 Posts
That is how Laheli kept the all-up weight down, and left so much room under the canopy. I'm sure some people will consider mounting on-board cameras.

Each square in this grid is 1-inch to give you perspective. The first item on the left is the gyro, followed by the mixing board, and one of three 6-amp brushless speed controllers. Bee-U-T-ful engineering.
RotorCycle is offline Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Old Dec 11, 2007, 02:48 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,295 Posts
Soldering is complete

I finished the Soldering now, and left the motor wires hanging down so I can swap wires if needed once I test the direction of rotation.

Old Dec 11, 2007, 04:56 PM
ElektroRC.com - MSH,LAHeli,YGE
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,606 Posts
Nice work Dave! (And nice lab too )

Can't wait for the flight reports...

-eP
pwkpete is offline Find More Posts by pwkpete
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:30 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkpete
Nice work Dave! (And nice lab too )

Can't wait for the flight reports...

-eP

:-) I hope to get it airborne tonight
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:42 PM
Wow That's Cool!
Bay Area, CA
Joined Nov 2004
2,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave420
:-) I hope to get it airborne tonight
Nice clean work! ... thanks for sharing ... which way is front on this one? ... single rotor? ... in the demo vid ... it looked like it was flying with the single rotor in the back. Be interested to see if it handles like Lemmiwinks' tricopter ... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...95&postcount=5

--Eric--
Old Dec 12, 2007, 07:32 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,514 Posts
How in the world does Lemmiwink get that tricopter to fly iinverted? Are those engine mounts rotating 180 degrees to achieve that?? Wow six servos and 2 "black boxes??"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tend2it
Nice clean work! ... thanks for sharing ... which way is front on this one? ... single rotor? ... in the demo vid ... it looked like it was flying with the single rotor in the back. Be interested to see if it handles like Lemmiwinks' tricopter ... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...95&postcount=5

--Eric--
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Dec 12, 2007, 09:53 AM
Wow That's Cool!
Bay Area, CA
Joined Nov 2004
2,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins
How in the world does Lemmiwink get that tricopter to fly iinverted? Are those engine mounts rotating 180 degrees to achieve that?? Wow six servos and 2 "black boxes??"
variable pitch rotors ... here is the original thread ... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679710 ... sorry Dave ... didn't mean to hijack the thread ...

--Eric--