SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2007, 04:01 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Question
Where to find 1/12th scale "stuff" for scratch build Dauntless?

I'm in the final stages of my 1/12th scale Dauntless build and I can't find decals. I caved in and I'm ordering Just Pilots figures. Now the decals are driving my nuts. I'm not a "it's gotta be perfectly scale" kinda guy, so any tips or short cuts would be helpful. Like, can you use .40 size war bird decals and use the smaller fuselage decales on the wings? And maybe, 1/32nd scale decals and use the wing decals on the fuse??? I know, I'm reaching!
Thanks, Jay
flying jeep is offline Find More Posts by flying jeep
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2007, 04:38 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
I've heard nothing but great things about Callie Graphics

Send a pic of what you want, dimensions and scale and she'll set you up.
Harv is offline Find More Posts by Harv
Old Dec 09, 2007, 06:23 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
What does she charge?
Old Dec 09, 2007, 07:48 PM
Dert Farmur
Saskatchewan
Joined Jan 2005
799 Posts
Give them a call or email and get a quote for exactly what you need.
Harv is offline Find More Posts by Harv
Old Dec 09, 2007, 08:06 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
How specific do I have to be as to my needs? Can I just tell her I need the major decals, stars and bars, for a 1/12th scale 1943 Dauntless? Or do I need to pick out a three view I like and email it to her? This is my first scratch build that has ever got this close to being finished and flying. And it's my first hot wire cut foam wing with my homemade wire cutter! A four piece wing at that! I'm just a little proud of this thing. I hope it flys as good as it looks.
Jay
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:15 AM
Joined Sep 2006
418 Posts
I used Cal-Grafx for my Mustang "Miss Marilyn" and they did a great job. They have standard decals but can also do custom work. Go to Gallery 1 for your stars and bars.

Below is my 36" wingspan SBD-3, powered by a 2908 turning a 9x6 gas prop, 28 ounces. The decals are self adhesive Avery Label paper

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your project!
txcombatguy is offline Find More Posts by txcombatguy
Old Dec 10, 2007, 08:39 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,631 Posts
Jay,

Email Callie and see what she has. She did the graphics for Tritle's (picture).

Prices are usually $20-$30 for planes this size, depending on how may markings you want her to do.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Dec 10, 2007, 06:40 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcombatguy
I used Cal-Grafx for my Mustang "Miss Marilyn" and they did a great job. They have standard decals but can also do custom work. Go to Gallery 1 for your stars and bars.

Below is my 36" wingspan SBD-3, powered by a 2908 turning a 9x6 gas prop, 28 ounces. The decals are self adhesive Avery Label paper

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your project!
Thanks for the link to Cal-Grafx! I checked out their site and put it in my favorites for later shopping. I'll post some pics when I get the pilots and canopy on. It's not bad for my first foam scratch build.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 07:42 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
Cal-Graphx was a little pricey. But it looks like exactly what I needed!
Old Dec 11, 2007, 05:35 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
I still need help!!!

I had to cancel my order with Cal-Graphx. At the very end of the order process, unless I missed it, they hit you with a $20 set up fee on top of the decal price. Ouch! I only need four decals! I'm going to have to keep looking. Anyone have any clue who may have WWII stars and bars that are about 4" tall for the wings and 2.5" tall for the fuse. at the circle? Anything close would work. Ok, everybody go look at their arf warbird and find me something usefull!
Thanks, Jay
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:48 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Here ya go..... 1/12th size US decals for $8.32
http://www.sureflite.com/sureflite/p...0&pid=MAJ-7001
They have just the Stars with the red dot inside for 1/12th size, but its listed currently out of stock(very bottom of this page http://www.sureflite.com/sureflite/p...offset=0&pid=0.
You might try the .40 Size American Cocarde Roundel and use the smaller of the two sizes on the sheet. look at the picture at the very top of the previous link.

You can also use the decals for the P-51 from GWS, but they may not be the color you want since they are grey and blue:
http://epyaya.com/product_info.php?products_id=625

You can use the decals from a GWS Corsair as well
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Dec 11, 2007, 07:58 PM
Brownsburg, Indiana
Joined Aug 2005
1,014 Posts
AHA! I found it! Major Decals! It looks like the .40 size stars and bars will be perfect. And most hobby shops have them. They also have the early war 1/12th scale round decals. I'll check Hobbytown this weekend, and if they don't have them I can order them and still have something to do Chrismas weekend. For once I have all the electrics, motor, esc, receiver before the airplane is done.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:09 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Glad I could be of help. You can get most Major Decals from Towerhobbies as well as Horizonhobby if you cant find them at lhs.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq