HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Ghost 2501, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 09, 2009, 08:05 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Apr 2009
125 Posts
I'm not even sure I should ask but what is "BEC and "ESC" This stuff is all new to me,
as I'm new to electric drive systems.
Doug James is offline Find More Posts by Doug James
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2009, 08:10 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug James
I'm not even sure I should ask but what is "BEC and "ESC" This stuff is all new to me,
as I'm new to electric drive systems.
yes!! the dumbest questions are the ones that dont get asked!

BEC battery eliminated circuit, (you have one power source for the motor AND the reciever, as the speed controller sends power to the reciever), a NON BEC system has one battery for the receiver and one set of batteries for the motor.
ESC - Electronic Speed Control.
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old May 09, 2009, 08:29 PM
Winnipeg, Canada
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Apr 2009
125 Posts
Thank you for the help.
Doug James is offline Find More Posts by Doug James
Old Jul 09, 2009, 04:03 AM
Falmouth, Tasmania
Joined Apr 2008
9 Posts
Thank you for the great guides.

When fuses are fitted between battery and ESC, and ESC and motor, could you guide me on how to determine their ratings?

Best wishes,

James
jdha is offline Find More Posts by jdha
Old Jul 09, 2009, 11:16 AM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
ratings are simple, somewhere between the motor running current and esc rating.

eg:
motor runs at 10amp. and stalls at 16amp, and your esc is rated at 25amp, fit a 13 amp fuse or 15amp car fuse. this will mean that your esc is protected.

between the battery and esc, fit one at around the operating rating of your esc, thats there incase your esc develops a fault and dead shorts,
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:31 PM
CurrentBuild: Boulogne Etaples
Canada, ON, Hornings Mills
Joined Dec 2008
172 Posts
LEDs + fuses

Hi Ghost,
here is a modified form of your diagram #2 (i had some spare time so i customised it, showing the components that i will be using eventually for my Nordkap build) I also want to put LEDs on the model.

So. what size fuses should i put in at the battery and the esc?

Also, where / how do i add the LEDs to the diagram / setup?

i would like to control them with the Tx eventually but as this is my first RC boat i think i should keep it simple and just have a couple of manual switches for the lights. (Navigation, Bridge and Spotlights)

thanks,
christophe
lucidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by lucidmonkey
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:09 AM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
basically a fuse large enough to cope with motor surge load, (caused by start up or violent direction reversal, (such as emergency direction reverse) but small enough to be below the esc's upper limit, so on a motor that pulls 2A surge, 8 amp stalled, on a 15A esc, you would be safe with a 5amp.

for LED's you could use a seperate battery or two. wiring parrallel is probably best. I'll try and sort one for you over the next week or so.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:43 PM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,646 Posts
On the Calypso thread I have the wiring for mine. In the diagram is the wiring for the LEDs, Ther are 18 in the cabin alone, 12 in the sub well, 2 in the nose, and 6 bi-color on the mast tree. All LEDs need a load resistor and each should be seperate. The 5mm in the cabin use 2 (take the load value and divid by 2) all others have 1 resistor, if the resitor is too low a value the LED will be very bright and will burn out. Too high and the LED will be dim. For the cabin lighting I selected some with the correct load and a few with a higher load for dimmer lighting. If you look at any ship or home the lighting IS NOT uniform.
You must use the corect load or higher for the type (manufactures spec's.)of LED that you get.
LEDs can be powered from receiver batteries, drive batteries or seperate. On the Calypso most are powered from the drive battery (12 volt), others through a 5 volt voltage regulater.
You can also find the wirring on my personal site at: www.jsgill.net in Photo gallery / construction
And yes I do have a degree in electronics.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Last edited by GILL RC; Sep 29, 2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 05:04 PM
CurrentBuild: Boulogne Etaples
Canada, ON, Hornings Mills
Joined Dec 2008
172 Posts
thanks Ghost
Thanks Gill i will take a look
lucidmonkey is offline Find More Posts by lucidmonkey
Old Oct 18, 2009, 01:04 AM
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,374 Posts
Ghost,

This is very helpful for a build I am getting ready to do. I have never done lights, but think I get a clear understanding how they fit in, with your diagram.

My question is what about a sound unit and smoke generator?

System I am thinking of running is a single motor, linked to a ESC, linked to a Batt ( size to be determined, but probably a 6V 4.5 Amp). RX will be connected to the ESC and steering servo. From RX will be plugged in a switched linked to a bus where my running lights, Port and Starboard, mast will be wired.

From the Rx I am thinking of plugging in another servo. The head will be modified with a connector so, when I push up or down on the steering stick, the connects will touch, sounding the horn. I have a similar set up now on my Happy Hunter to run the bow thruster. Up makes it go left, down makes it go right.

How do I do the smoke generator? Do you think the batt will give me enough "juice"?

Scott
laser110 is offline Find More Posts by laser110
Last edited by laser110; Oct 18, 2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:46 AM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,646 Posts
Let me start with the smoke gen. Sieth makes some for use on 6 volts, most others need 12 or more. I have run the Aristo-craft train units as low as 8, but at this voltage they some times they will not start. As to the battery a 6 volt 4 amp hour battery is more than enough. My Calypso is running 2 in series, 12 volt 4 AH. Think of a battery as the fuel tank the amp rating is the size and the voltage fuel pressure. The higher the amp rating the bigger the tank, the higher the voltage the smaller the carburator is needed. I always try to estmate the run time of a model. I take the rating for the lights, add them to smoke unit, bow thruster and so on. I use an amp meter and check the model held static in a tub. This reading will always be higher then free running. But It will give a good estimte of the run time. battery amperage divided by the total boat draw (amp). The amp hour rating of a battery is usually 1 per hour ( 4ah battery = 1 amp draw per hour for 4 hours)
And I agree with Ghost
"the dumbest questions are the ones that dont get asked!"
NO one knows every thing, BUT everyone knows something.
Last edited by GILL RC; Oct 19, 2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 09:57 AM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
i have never used a smoke gen, however i will have a word with some people who supply them to see how they would wire in and post them here
Old Oct 21, 2009, 02:22 PM
GILL
Joined Aug 2005
2,646 Posts
The smoke units are an easy hook up. I like a switch on mine. This can be manual or operated from the radio. On my Calypso I use a MCD switch 8, when I switch on the engine sound it also turns on the smoke unit. I have also added a flapper on the unit to regulate the amount of smoke from ideal to full speed. This is just a servo connected to the speed control on the receiver with a "Y" cable. ON all smoke units it is a 2 wire connection. Plus (+) to Plus and Neg (-) to neg. Just chose a unit that will suit your needs and voltage. I know the Sieth makes both 6 and 12 volt. The Aristo SD-45 is best on 12, I believe that the Mack uses 12. I like the SD-45 because it has a fan and auto-shut down when it run out of fluid. It is also a very compact unit.
I've attached a basic wiring digram and the one for my Calypso, plus a picture of my installation.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 01:53 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,387 Posts
I have a question! With my new ESC's the instructions say 2 put the fuse on the red battery cable. I always thought you should run the fuse on the motor side of the circuit, how do you guys have yours set up?
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Old Dec 30, 2009, 05:38 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCruser9 View Post
I have a question! With my new ESC's the instructions say 2 put the fuse on the red battery cable. I always thought you should run the fuse on the motor side of the circuit, how do you guys have yours set up?
It depends on what you are hoping to protect. A fuse in the red battery lead will protect the boat against an ESC malfunction. Since many ESCs have overcurrent protection, they will usually shut themselves down in the case of motor/motor wiring faults.
So a fuse in the motor wiring will protect the ESC from the motor, but it is quite probable that the ESC will do this for itself anyway. But if something happens inside the ESC to put a short on the power supply, all of the energy stored in the battery will be dumped inside the ESC in the form of heat, in some recorded cases creating an on-board fire with bad effects for the boat. The fuse in the battery supply is a preferable alternative.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02