HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Ghost 2501, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:18 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,003 Posts
Nick,

I not only hard wire my models, but all the wiring work I do at work. I have been repairing, and making new wiring harness's for automotive related projects for about 35 years. Everything from heavy equipment, to SEMA award winning show cars. The reason crimp connectors are used is that it is much faster, IE, cheaper. Soldered wires cannot come loose, or the connections corrode. Plus a soldered connection transfers power better. I have repaired way to many jobs done by other people. Also, when requested to do a crimp job, I have a set of Aviation grade, crimping and stripping tools. CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:11 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,890 Posts
The important thing with any wire joining is the actual quality of the join. A good soldered join, where the insulation is undamaged, is at least equal to pretty much any crimped join. A bad crimped join is every bit as much a liability as a poor soldered join, and vice-versa in both cases.
My preference with stranded wire is to solder, but to use a big, hot iron to get in and out as quickly as possible, and not to get the insulation hot. Using a bit of heatshrink to not only insulate, but to form a bit of strain relief, helps as well.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:01 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,634 Posts
Pittman connection

Q:
I have adopted an old Shelley Foss, it has two 9.5 Volt pittmans.
I am rewiring the model.
The male spade connectors on the motors are 3/16 wide.
This means that 3/16 female spades should be used to connect the motor to the input power.

Someone had used 1/4 inch female connectors when I got it, they were loose and falling off on the 3/16 motor connector ( not good ).

The 3/16 female connectors I have ( correct fit ) only accept 18G wire...

18G wire too small, yes ?

Are the 3/16 female spade connectors that accept 16G / 14G wires ?
Tim B. is online now Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:37 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
ONE MORE PROJECT Tim??

Man you do have the life!!!
Rmay is offline Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:01 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,634 Posts
Doh !

DOH !
Busted ....
didn't know you were in the room Mr. may !

soon there will be a reality show on the horrors of Model Boat Hoarding ...
I have become expert at gettin 'em in the house without Mum realizing ...
Trojan hoarse works well ...
Last edited by Tim B.; Nov 16, 2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: add image
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:06 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,244 Posts
"expert at gettin 'em in the house without Mum realizing"

I know what you mean. Today's "Mums" birthday. Got her a really nice gift so later I can sneak in a ESC for my towboat. She reads the credit card account website often, so it's not an easy task!
Rmay is offline Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:56 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,634 Posts
Credit card statement ...

Hmmmmm ....
That does complicate things .....
Perhaps SHE would like an new ESC, if she doesn't care for it, you could offer to take care of it ! ( )
Last edited by Tim B.; Nov 16, 2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spellinggg
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:58 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,003 Posts
Spade Connecters

The standard size is .250'' wide, the ones you have are .187'' wide. Have a GOOD electronics shop ck. to see what is available in .187'' terminals. If you can't get them, use something tapered, and open up the sleeves. Install your wires, crimp and solder. CaptCB
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:25 PM
1/2 a bubble off
United States, NY, Schenectady
Joined Mar 2011
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
18G wire too small, yes ?

Are the 3/16 female spade connectors that accept 16G / 14G wires ?
How much current do the motors draw?

18Ga good for 10 to 16 amps. If it has high temperature insulation, then more, in a bundle, less, good ventilation, more, bad ventilation, less.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm Scroll down to see the wire table and voltage drop calculator.

Yes, you can get 3/16" female terminals in a 14-16Ga size. All of the ones I have seen will take a electronic grade stranded wire up to 12Ga.
Apismelifera is offline Find More Posts by Apismelifera
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:04 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,634 Posts
Pittman motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apismelifera View Post
How much current do the motors draw?

18Ga good for 10 to 16 amps. If it has high temperature insulation, then more, in a bundle, less, good ventilation, more, bad ventilation, less.

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm Scroll down to see the wire table and voltage drop calculator.

Yes, you can get 3/16" female terminals in a 14-16Ga size. All of the ones I have seen will take a electronic grade stranded wire up to 12Ga.
The only data sheet I could find on these old motors shows 27 Amps stalled ( at 12 Volts ).
The tag on these motors shows 9.5 Volts, I googled, I dont find ANY thing on 9.5 V Pittmans.
I am concerned 12 V input may not be a good idea, I have a 7.2V SLA battery that I will use and see how they perform.
I am not going to be pulling any barges, so I should be OK.
This is the first RC boat I have wired myself so this is about learning.
I will find the correct female spade connector that fit these motors ( 3/16 wide, 14 G ).
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:03 AM
Grafton, Ohio
Joined Sep 2003
760 Posts
I looked thru this thread multiple times but im not seeing what i need...do they make a 3 motor/esc to one channel/stick-pigtail? Know what i mean for 3 brushless on one channel??????
OhioMike is offline Find More Posts by OhioMike
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,003 Posts
OhioMike

You should be able to make one up. You want the same receiver signal, to go to 3 speed controls? Or, are you talking 3 motors, to one speed control? CB
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:29 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post
I looked thru this thread multiple times but im not seeing what i need...do they make a 3 motor/esc to one channel/stick-pigtail? Know what i mean for 3 brushless on one channel??????
No. You can get a one-to-two "Y" lead that allows you to connect two ESCs into one channel. Use two "Y" leads to get an extra (i.e. up to three).
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:03 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,567 Posts
You can connect as many ESC's to a channel as you would like I've seen up to 8 on aircraft. Just disconnect the red wire on all but 1. If you use the BEC, if not then I would disconnect all the red wires.
You can use "Y" cables or make your own. I like to keep my cables short So I make mine just solder all the black (-) wires together and insulate, then the signal wire (wht, yel, org) all connected to 1 plug for the receiver. Insulate the ends of the each of the red wires, but DO NOT connect them togeher.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:46 AM
United States, MI, Alpena
Joined Jan 2012
13 Posts
I was wondering... I am running (4) separate ESC's and (4) separate motors (Hobby Kings Turnigy .25) and want to use one battery pack.... any suggestions on the volt and mah? I bought a 11.4 5000mah lipo and don't know if that will be enough or will i need to packs.
moonmist is offline Find More Posts by moonmist
Last edited by moonmist; Mar 12, 2012 at 01:47 AM. Reason: forgot somethng