Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:49 PM
Shanghai
Joined Aug 2006
558 Posts
Max, if you get a chance, look at the fuselage of the GreatPlanes Catalina PBY. I was very impressed at the lightweight and strong design. The seams are virtually invisable. If I didn't look inside, I couldn't tell where they were. I wish I had time to go down south and see how they do it. It has certainly given me ideas on how to do mine. With your ideas on the molding process, I think I will try my hand with it. If I can just figure out the Chinese labels on the epoxy.

We are working on the electronics, Andy should have the FPGA done and I hope to have working boards by my next US trip. You will probably spend more time on the details like gear and doors than you expect. Especially on how to manufacture and assemble those parts to get working 100%. I really wish you success. But mainly, I hope you enjoy it.

Donald
shanghai_fool is offline Find More Posts by shanghai_fool
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2007, 05:56 PM
Joined Oct 2006
11 Posts
This is my second peek in here and all I can tell is WOW !!!!!!!!!

I would like to apologize for making so useless comments in this thread but I got interested in the subject almost by accident , I am not an VTOL expert nor beginner :-)
I am a fixed wing R/C pilot but this building thread is really outstanding and I just could not resist to express my admiration..

Sorry if I annoyed anyone...

ARB
arb6591 is offline Find More Posts by arb6591
Old Dec 19, 2007, 06:50 PM
Valdosta, GA
Joined May 2007
525 Posts
Donald, that PBY just may have to be a "business research purchase." The neighbors will be thrilled, for sure. I'll probably need to get a boat too - just in case. I'm sure I'll need to look at some other models to make a really good one. Let me know your thoughts on your model as you go.

I'm glad to see Andy has some time to work on the mixer, it will be nice to have some commercial quality parts on the project.

Thanks ARB, I'm sure everyone would be interested to know your helping me by making this model for Real Flight G3.5. I hope you don't mind me mentioning that.

If anyone has RF G3.5, let me know and I'll make sure you get a copy of the model when we get finished.
maxvtol is offline Find More Posts by maxvtol
Old Dec 19, 2007, 07:12 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,099 Posts
Max ... please put me on the list for the G 3.5 model of your bird ... it is a must have for sure

ARB ... don't think anyone on this forum any where would consider a post of encouragement to be useless ,,and I many times will post something ,,,just to be signed up for that thread if I am interested in it ... Glad to have you looking and interested !!!.That is probably the way most of us all started out

And thanks for helping bring us a good VTOL to use on G 3.5 ... Great Planes had a pretty good one in the first V-22 ..but screwed it all up in G 3.5 ... it isn't even close now ... :0
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Dec 20, 2007, 05:33 AM
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Mar 2007
184 Posts
Maxvtol, what variable pitch props do you plan on using in future versions? As far as I know the market isnīt exactly saturated with VPP:s of any reasonable size.
Also, is the plan to use cyclic on the models and/or the full size aircraft, or just collective (VPP)?
rctiltwing is offline Find More Posts by rctiltwing
Old Dec 20, 2007, 07:12 AM
Valdosta, GA
Joined May 2007
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap
Max ... please put me on the list for the G 3.5 model of your bird ... it is a must have for sure
You got it V. Just saw ARB's work on the fuselage, it looks great. I hope we can make it fly like the real one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctiltwing
Maxvtol, what variable pitch props do you plan on using in future versions? As far as I know the market isnīt exactly saturated with VPP:s of any reasonable size.
Also, is the plan to use cyclic on the models and/or the full size aircraft, or just collective (VPP)?
I was thinking maybe using a small standard heli head and building some blades for it, or maybe by the time I get to that point something else will be on the market. Or maybe VTOL blades could be my first commercial product.

The props will just be collective. For the increased complexity, I just don't think there's enough advantage to use cyclic.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:43 AM
Joined Oct 2006
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap

ARB ... don't think anyone on this forum any where would consider a post of encouragement to be useless ,,and I many times will post something ,,,just to be signed up for that thread if I am interested in it ... Glad to have you looking and interested !!!.That is probably the way most of us all started out

And thanks for helping bring us a good VTOL to use on G 3.5 ... Great Planes had a pretty good one in the first V-22 ..but screwed it all up in G 3.5 ... it isn't even close now ... :0
I believe that everybody will get the VP-124 test version to fly it in simulator, share comments and make improvements ..

Thank you for the warm welcome v22chap...

I could keep you guys updated here with G3 model if Max is OK with that.
This is his building thread but I know he is extremely busy so if gives me OK, I will post some info regarding G3.5 G4 VP-124 model.

Cheers...
Old Dec 20, 2007, 12:05 PM
Valdosta, GA
Joined May 2007
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arb6591
I could keep you guys updated here with G3 model if Max is OK with that.
Sounds good to me. Thanks for all you've done.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 12:48 PM
Joined Oct 2006
11 Posts
Since I got a OK from Max .... here are few snapshots.

3 Views calibrated in gmax
Snapshot from Deep Exploration ( Program to be able to save 3D file with
proper components hierarchy )
And ...just the fuselage in the simulator....
Air Inlet is not mapped yet so it looks pink for now..

ARB
Old Dec 20, 2007, 02:47 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,078 Posts
Absolutely awesome work, I have done some modelling in 3DS Max so can appreciate the amount of time, skill and patience you have put into creating that model

Brilliant!!
heli_madken is online now Find More Posts by heli_madken
Old Dec 20, 2007, 02:59 PM
Joined Oct 2006
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_madken
Absolutely awesome work, I have done some modelling in 3DS Max so can appreciate the amount of time, skill and patience you have put into creating that model

Brilliant!!
Thank you ... I wish I I was using 3DSMAX , it would cut the converting time dramatically ... on the other hand it feels good when you can see your model in simulator after all the tricks you need to apply when using $150 software versus $6000
I said $150 because the only software I had to buy was Deep Exploration and I was lucky to order mine just before they raised price to around $500.

I am quite sure I can finish that model nicely and make gear and corresponding gear door retract and control surfaces working ... what I am really interested is how Max mastered setup in physics model to make the transition .... we will see some time soon ...
Old Dec 20, 2007, 03:03 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,099 Posts
I too apreciate the amount of work that goes into this stuff ... My son who is a programer for Northrop Grumman aircraft company does flight sim stuff for a hobby and I have seen some of the stuff he writes to get the job done .

Keep the pix coming arb ... this should be great ,, I am just in awe of guys that can do this stuff with computer programs ... I can barely get around in them some times .... :O
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Dec 20, 2007, 03:37 PM
Valdosta, GA
Joined May 2007
525 Posts
Thanks for posting ARB, can't wait to get the model to put some physics to it.

Now I need a little help. I think I can lay out the holes ok, but the only thing I have to make the cutouts is a Dremel cutting wheel which is about .025" and a jig saw with about the same blade width. My idea was to just epoxy the edges up and sand down to a closer tolerance.

Anybody have better ideas? Would a balsa saw or any other hand saw work better?

PS. Turns out the projector wasn't accurate enough to layout the holes, but hey, I got a mirror on the ceiling of my garage and a projector hanging from the garage door - my wife is thrilled what I've done with the garage!
Old Dec 20, 2007, 03:56 PM
Liverpool, England
Joined Jan 2005
1,078 Posts
Max, You have a steady hand to do that with a Dremel!

What I have done in the past is to use an erasing guard and scalpel
I am showing my age with the erasing guard going back to my draughting days, its a thin piece of metal that is flexible, use double sided tape to adhere it in place along the line of the cut then cut with the scalpel, it will go through the GF no problem with a few passes.
heli_madken is online now Find More Posts by heli_madken
Last edited by heli_madken; Dec 20, 2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 04:24 PM
Valdosta, GA
Joined May 2007
525 Posts
Brilliant! Thanks Ken, I'll give that a try.