SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2008, 05:58 PM
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Sep 2007
90 Posts
No Formation Flying Today.......

The soccer center was busy with many indoor electric flyers today. We had five SE5a's that did fly. Only not in formation due to the traffic. So no flowers are necessary. Thanks.

The 2 min 45 sec video shows the five SE's and a few flying. One of which is the SE5a that had a midair collision last Wednesday. It was flying great, and you had to look close to see where the top wing was shredded. This plane loops very good too.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...42342812&hl=en
J3flyah is offline Find More Posts by J3flyah
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2008, 11:09 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
neat video, I like the are you fly in.....pretty cool!

Dave
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Jan 10, 2008, 07:55 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Erie, PA
Joined Dec 2003
38 Posts
Got to maiden mine today. We've had a heck of a wind storm here in the Northeast for a couple of days (60mph+) but it calmed down to less than 10mph winds. My SE5a flys very nice (250 motor and 6x5 prop). I was surprised how much power this thing has.
daddysblazer is offline Find More Posts by daddysblazer
Last edited by daddysblazer; Jan 10, 2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 09:40 PM
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Sep 2007
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddysblazer
Got to maiden mine today. We've had a heck of a wind storm here in the Northeast for a couple of days (60mph+) but it calmed down to less than 10mph winds. My SE5a flys very nice (250 motor and 6x5 prop). I was surprised how much power this thing has.

So how did it fly outside in the wind? Guess okay, or you wouldn't be telling us about it. Ha! These SEs are sure light. I am not so certain that I will ever fly mine outside. This part of the country stays pretty windy....
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:15 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3flyah
My SE5a has the Park 300 that I mounted on a "firewall" that was CA'd square to the supplied round motor mount shaft.

J3flyah
Thanks. How does the park 300 perform (does it go straght up?) and does it balance with the battery in the stock location? My MAE motor has been fine, but I can not go straight up with my pico tiger moth (so painfully close though!).

I did not realize the plane came with that round shaft. I thought it was the park 250's shaft when I saw it in earlier photos. So you glued that shaft as you would for the park 250, but instead (first) glued the plywood onto the shaft to create a firewall mount - good idea.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:22 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Try a GWS 7 X 3.5 HD/DD Prop and see the difference. 2:1 prop ratio is better suited to the draggy airframe.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jan 11, 2008, 09:23 PM
Crash Test Pilot
Erie, PA
Joined Dec 2003
38 Posts
Flys fine in about 8mph (10mph gust) winds. I used more throttle than I wanted but it controlled fine. I didn't feel like I was fighting the wind.

I've been looking for a 7x3.5 prop at the LHS but haven't found one yet...

daddysblazer is offline Find More Posts by daddysblazer
Last edited by daddysblazer; Jan 11, 2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:58 PM
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Sep 2007
90 Posts
Blazer's SE5a in the Wind

Quote:
Flys fine in about 8mph (10mph gust) winds. I used more throttle than I wanted but it controlled fine. I didn't feel like I was fighting the wind.

I've been looking for a 7x3.5 prop at the LHS but haven't found one yet...

Your SE looks good in the air Blazer! No question about it handling loops from what I saw in the photos.

I learned the other day that the flying "wires" must be drawn taut through the struts to lessen the risk of wing failure with manuvers such as loops. You could actually hear one of the wings of my SE stressing as it came out of the bottom of a loop. Needless to say, that was the only loop that day. I will tighten my wires.

Boomer! Thanks for the tip on prop size. I will also check the LHS for that size prop and give it a try. My E-Flite Park 300 seems to have plenty of power. I just need to get the right combination with prop.

J3Flyah

PS: I am on to another foam indoor airplane now. A C-119 Flying Boxcar with 48" wingspan. See my blog.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:17 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Your SE looks good in the air Blazer! No question about it handling loops from what I saw in the photos.

I learned the other day that the flying "wires" must be drawn taut through the struts to lessen the risk of wing failure with manuvers such as loops. You could actually hear one of the wings of my SE stressing as it came out of the bottom of a loop. Needless to say, that was the only loop that day. I will tighten my wires.

Boomer! Thanks for the tip on prop size. I will also check the LHS for that size prop and give it a try. My E-Flite Park 300 seems to have plenty of power. I just need to get the right combination with prop.

J3Flyah

PS: I am on to another foam indoor airplane now. A C-119 Flying Boxcar with 48" wingspan. See my blog.
For the 300 you should run the 8 X 3.8 Slow Flyer prop with 3S Lipo in the 700 to 800 range. Of course all SE5a's were capable of unlimited vertical weren't they???
boomer
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:17 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Quote:

J3Flyah

oh you mean this
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Jan 12, 2008, 01:06 AM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,254 Posts
Quote:
So how did it fly outside in the wind? Guess okay, or you wouldn't be telling us about it. Ha! These SEs are sure light. I am not so certain that I will ever fly mine outside. This part of the country stays pretty windy....
They fly fine in wind about 8 mph or less. Haven't tried anything worse than that. Sure they get bounced around a little. But they still do just fine. Mine is flying stock.

Joe
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:29 AM
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Sep 2007
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape
oh you mean this
Ha! F&T as you know it was your Flying Boxcar that inspired me to build one. Hope mine turns out as well as yours! Great landings with your SE5a and Jenny!

Boomer, what I am using on my Park 300 at this time is an 8 X 3.8 prop with a 2C battery. Flights are plenty long. But I'd like to bring my cruise down to 40% power from the 60% I've been using. I know, that's probably a minor thing if I am getting long flights any way.

When we get some halfway decent weather, I will find a smooth surface to fly my SE5a outdoors. But not if that smooth surface is snow.....
Old Jan 12, 2008, 01:15 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Ha! F&T as you know it was your Flying Boxcar that inspired me to build one. Hope mine turns out as well as yours! Great landings with your SE5a and Jenny!

Boomer, what I am using on my Park 300 at this time is an 8 X 3.8 prop with a 2C battery. Flights are plenty long. But I'd like to bring my cruise down to 40% power from the 60% I've been using. I know, that's probably a minor thing if I am getting long flights any way.

When we get some halfway decent weather, I will find a smooth surface to fly my SE5a outdoors. But not if that smooth surface is snow.....
If your flying on 2S Lipo you need to go to the 10" prop.
boomer
Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:16 PM
Joined Jun 2005
339 Posts
Skis, not scale but flies better off the snow and ice.

I put skis on my S.E.5a. I know it's not scale but when you have snow/ice cover for 4 months, the skis really come in handy. Plane flies really nice with a 3 cell 700 mah battery. The skis would look better with black rubber bands which I'm searching for.
georgefromvt is offline Find More Posts by georgefromvt
Old Jan 12, 2008, 07:20 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
George

That looks cool (the plane) and rather chilly at the same time, your lipos must stay nice and cold.

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss