HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2008, 07:46 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Really have not spent much time on build, play offs have taken center stage. Did finish fuse machine gun and sight and did trial fit and did painting of magazine and wood handle area on wing gun. Will do final mounting after assembly. Other than the wheels the only other mods will be the use of spider wire for rigging and will add LG wood struts. Might also detail the cockpit, haven't decided yet. More later.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2008, 08:30 PM
United States, MD, Gaithersburg
Joined Apr 2006
73 Posts
Hoping you guys can help me i have this kit very nive fit and finish. The problem i am having is connecting this damn motor to the included mount. I done it the way they said to and the motor popped out on me in mid flight so i tried this multiple times then i got frustrated and i used five minute epoxy. The motor came out again and the blue wire leading to the motor came off. Dont know what i should do from here. I ruffed up the back of the motor and the carbon to make sure it had something to bite onto. Please help.THANKS
MiNiFlIgHt is offline Find More Posts by MiNiFlIgHt
Old Jan 07, 2008, 07:28 AM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
I found Sumo glue to work well ($3.50) at Walmart

Gorrilla Glue will work well also. Use sparingly as they both expand and make sure you clean off the epoxy as it leaves a residue behind.
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Jan 07, 2008, 03:25 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Added instruments to cockpit after painting interior flat black. Close-ups never look as good as it does to the eye. Need to order pilot when back in stock at Hobby Lobby.
boomer
Old Jan 07, 2008, 04:24 PM
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Sep 2007
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Added instruments to cockpit after painting interior flat black. Close-ups never look as good as it does to the eye. Need to order pilot when back in stock at Hobby Lobby.
boomer
Boomer! All of your detailing of the SE5a really looks good! Are you changing the paint scheme at all? When are you putting it in the air?
J3flyah is offline Find More Posts by J3flyah
Old Jan 07, 2008, 04:31 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3flyah
Boomer! All of your detailing of the SE5a really looks good! Are you changing the paint scheme at all? When are you putting it in the air?
Not changing paint scheme. Just added exhaust pipes. As to flying.... this time of year the only thing I fly is micro indoor stuff as my site has limited ceiling height. So maiden with a bunch of others to maiden will be in spring. Now rainy, windy and colder than I like. Next on the board will be overpowered Mountain Models Clip Wing Cub. Used to get to fly full size one a friend owned when I had my license.
boomer
Old Jan 07, 2008, 09:12 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,842 Posts
well heres my S.E.5.A for some reason I like to make it look like a tiger moth.... with those GWS wheels and spinner (oh wait the spinner fell of in this shot)
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Jan 07, 2008, 09:32 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
Here is some flying me and JIMH did on Sunday with our SE5's We tried some formation flying, but its hard...at least for me

Later in the day JimH had a mid-air with an airhog....the airhog lost (didnt get it on film...oh well)

The planes fly great, it was the maiden flight for both of us and we agreed how much nicer it flys than the Jenny. This plane is alot of fun and you can yank and bank it around easy enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spuacruD17Y
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Jan 07, 2008, 09:46 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatordave
I found Sumo glue to work well ($3.50) at Walmart

Gorrilla Glue will work well also. Use sparingly as they both expand and make sure you clean off the epoxy as it leaves a residue behind.
Our Wal-Mart only carries Gorilla, not Sumo, but most places carry the similar white gorilla glue now. I love Sumo, but only find it at Lowes.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Jan 07, 2008, 10:39 PM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatordave
Here is some flying me and JIMH did on Sunday with our SE5's We tried some formation flying, but its hard...at least for me

Later in the day JimH had a mid-air with an airhog....the airhog lost (didnt get it on film...oh well)

The planes fly great, it was the maiden flight for both of us and we agreed how much nicer it flys than the Jenny. This plane is alot of fun and you can yank and bank it around easy enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spuacruD17Y
Man that looks like a lot of fun. Mine flies just like that.

Wouldn't it be fun to have 10 SE5a's and 10 Fokker D7's flying against each other in formation. Then all of them get into a huge furball.
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Jan 08, 2008, 09:24 AM
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Sep 2007
90 Posts
Formation Flying with the SEs

Great video of the two SE5a's flying together over there in Cedar Rapids. You folks have a nice place for indoor flying.

We have flown our GWS Tiger Moths in formation with as many as five at one time. That is a real kick! And the TMs are slow enough that we each can react to the occasional "touching" in flight without an unexpected landing.

Two of us have flown our SE5a's in formation at the indoor soccer center. I discovered that the olive-green paint is not that easy to see when flying on the opposite side of the floor from where I was standing.

Wednesday we will have at least four SE's at our indoor flying gathering. Yep... We will most likely put them all up at the same time. There will be one German plane flying with us, which will probably mix things up. Stay tuned for a video, and be prepared to send flowers....
Old Jan 08, 2008, 09:26 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Getting close. Am waiting on Pilot and one S60 Servo. Am presently aging the plane to make it look like it's seen service. Paint is way to even as the old paint jobs were really blotchy as the paint color was not controlled. Little oil slobbers, etc will make it look more authentic.
boomer
Old Jan 09, 2008, 07:03 AM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,724 Posts
What has to be done to fit a slightly larger motors in it? Something like the park 300.
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Jan 09, 2008, 04:41 PM
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Sep 2007
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block
What has to be done to fit a slightly larger motors in it? Something like the park 300.
My SE5a has the Park 300 that I mounted on a "firewall" that was CA'd square to the supplied round motor mount shaft. See photo. Using the round shaft assures the right incident and thrust line for the motor, provided you keep the firewall square when attaching. Use thick CA with kicker.

The lite ply firewall was oval in shape to allow for the wing mounts of the Park 300 to be screwed in. After motor is mounted to the firewall, adjust the exposure of the prop drive by sliding the round motor mount shaft. When happy with the location, use your thick CA and kicker.

Hope this helps. Several of us have mounted our Park 250s and 300s this way.

J3flyah
Old Jan 09, 2008, 05:13 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
I mounted my Ele C-20 the same way, there is a picture in post #42.
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D