HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2008, 01:20 AM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,254 Posts
It's a great little plane though. I've never had one this small and slow. Really looks cool in the air with all the little support wires(thread).

I do hate how people say "Where did you get that toy?" Or look "Jimmy"(7 year old son) he's flying a "toy" airplane. LOL

I'm like if it's a "toy" you fly it then.

That's my biggest gripe about this hobby. People who know absolutely nothing about it call my beautiful planes toys.

Usually women. I tell them to go play with their $500 Coach bags and $2,000 Tennis bracelets. Which serve no purpose but to show to their friends and make them giggle in glee. Can you say "Hey! Look at me!"

If my plane is a toy. Then it's because I like action movies and guy things. Right? I mean that's what they must be thinking. Boys and their toys, right? Women must like jewelry and accessories because of Barbie. Therefore it's a toy too.

So all you guys the next time you see women giggling and smiling over there jewelry and pocket books, run up to them and ask them where they got that toy. Then scoff at them and walk off.
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Last edited by Milandrah; Jan 05, 2008 at 01:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2008, 01:25 AM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,254 Posts
Also. At least my "toy" takes a brain and skill to use properly. How much brains does it take to carry a pocketbook?

Sorry for the rambling.......
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Jan 05, 2008, 06:46 AM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,424 Posts
Lol, I know what you mean. I also refer to the black one in this pic as my "toy". The White one is worth too much to "play" around with and I can do whatever I like to the black one cause it really isn't that collectible. The White one is an all original 85 GT 5 speed, the Black one is just a V6 LX.
Guess I am guilty of maintaining the misconception.
I finally have everything for my SE5 here, now I just need some time to get it out and get it together.
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Last edited by Greg D; Jan 05, 2008 at 07:50 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2008, 07:32 AM
Rather be Hover'n
Omaha, NE
Joined Jul 2004
89 Posts
Greg,

If you're going to be at Digz in Millard tomorrow....

I'll be testing My Lastest Toy!

-Dave
Redbeardrc is offline Find More Posts by Redbeardrc
Old Jan 05, 2008, 07:47 AM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,424 Posts
That's cool Dave. I don't know if I will make it out this weekend, pretty busy and I may not get back to my SE5 until tomorrow evening.
Old Jan 05, 2008, 04:00 PM
Fighting Gravity
USA, NJ, Clementon
Joined Mar 2005
694 Posts
Here are some pics of mine. I've got it set up with a potensky 30 watt outrunner on two cell 800 mah batts, and a 7x6 SF prop.
yamakawazuki is offline Find More Posts by yamakawazuki
Old Jan 05, 2008, 07:29 PM
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Sep 2007
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamakawazuki
Here are some pics of mine. I've got it set up with a potensky 30 watt outrunner on two cell 800 mah batts, and a 7x6 SF prop.
Hey! Nice job with the motor installation. Has it been flown? Let us know how she flies with the 7X6 prop.

My SE5a with a Park 300 is swinging an 8X3.8 prop. I am thinking about increasing prop pitch and/or prop size to reduce my throttle at cruise from 40 - 50% to something less. Perhaps an 8X6.

Also, concerning the wheels; I think they are pretty stout. I had a hard landing the other day on astro turf. The axle bent slightly, but no harm or stress to the plastic wheels. I do like Boomer's "real" tires though!
J3flyah is offline Find More Posts by J3flyah
Old Jan 05, 2008, 07:31 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,424 Posts
Well I did start on the SE5 tonight, I THOUGHT I had some more Deans connectors for the ESC, lol. I really want to get the whole radio system in the fuse before I attach the wings. Didn't get too far and discovered also my new packs take a different charge plug than my 3s. I bought GP packs again to keep things simple but they have changed the packs since I bought the last one. The new ones have a balance setup and the 3s doesn't so I'll need a new charge lead for them. At least the output is the same. I guess I will run to the LHS AGAIN tomorrow if I have time. So far I am up to about $85 in extras to get a $50 plane in the air that I already had radio and a motor for, lol.
Old Jan 05, 2008, 07:42 PM
Omaha, Nebraska USA
Joined Dec 2003
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg D
Dean do you make the Sunday indoor sessions in Millard Larry told me about the other day?
Not usually. Sunday is usually "family day" if I'm not working.

Dean in Omaha
PfalzPflyer is offline Find More Posts by PfalzPflyer
Old Jan 05, 2008, 11:19 PM
Omaha, Nebraska USA
Joined Dec 2003
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman
Very nicely done on the paint job!!!!! The foam only comes in white, and to paint the extra would ahve raised the price a bit. Was trying to keep it down if you know what I mean.

Use a 2S system for this bird. It has plenty of power with the stated power plant and a 2S battery. Keep it light and enjoy it flying at under 8 oucnes. Let me know what you guys think of the flight qualities, I personally love this one!!

John
Any idea of who makes the green paint it comes painted with, and which color? I'm wanting to do some detailing, and haven't had much success in matching the color to my satisfaction.

Dean in Omaha
PfalzPflyer is offline Find More Posts by PfalzPflyer
Old Jan 06, 2008, 08:19 AM
Fighting Gravity
USA, NJ, Clementon
Joined Mar 2005
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3flyah
Hey! Nice job with the motor installation. Has it been flown? Let us know how she flies with the 7X6 prop.

My SE5a with a Park 300 is swinging an 8X3.8 prop. I am thinking about increasing prop pitch and/or prop size to reduce my throttle at cruise from 40 - 50% to something less. Perhaps an 8X6.

Also, concerning the wheels; I think they are pretty stout. I had a hard landing the other day on astro turf. The axle bent slightly, but no harm or stress to the plastic wheels. I do like Boomer's "real" tires though!

It flies nice with this setup. Maybe a little weak, but it is a slowflyer. It needs a small dive to loop, but has plenty of power for cruising.

It flies at half to three quarter throttle, but I have been flying in about 5mph+ winds.

Flying weight came in at 8.4 ozs. and it gets blown around pretty easy. I have to wait for a calm day and see how it flys then.
yamakawazuki is offline Find More Posts by yamakawazuki
Old Jan 06, 2008, 03:04 PM
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Sep 2007
90 Posts
Photos of my SE5a

Thought I'd share a few photos of my E-Flite SE5a. Subtle changes were made to the paint scheme. I removed the tail numbers which were for the replica SE5a that this kit was modeled after. Heavier "flying wires" were used. Exhaust pipes were added as well as landing gear struts. It was a fun ARF to modify into something a little different that the others.

What modifications have you others made if any?
Old Jan 06, 2008, 04:13 PM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,393 Posts
Very nice, what pilot did you use?
Doctor Who is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2008, 04:13 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,424 Posts
Looks good J3, I considered removing decals too but didn't want the paint to lift. I have some very heavy black thread I am using instead of the included thread too.
Lol, well stopped by the LHS today. Picked up some Deans pins and was going to get a charge cord or plugs to make one, turns out these new packs need a balancer. So I picked up a GP Equinox balancer for them.
$120 & counting? LOL!
Old Jan 06, 2008, 06:57 PM
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Sep 2007
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Who
Very nice, what pilot did you use?
Thanks for the compliment! The pilot is a back-to-back print of one of the Aces of Iron pilots. http://www.acesofiron.com/

After selecting my SE5a pilot, I captured a side view of him with an onscreen scan. With some photo software I sized my pilot to be of approximate scale to the SE5a. I then made a mirror image of the pilot, and printed the two halves which were glued together. A small piece of square balsa keeps George upright in the cockpit.