HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2008, 07:49 AM
Happy fly begin
Joined Aug 2004
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milandrah
Silence........................................... .............

Yeah these little bipes do fly very well. I'm very happy with the looks, construction, and flying characteristics of them. $50 well spent. Unfortunately it's been very windy and cold here the last couple of days. I still plan on doing a video. Just need to let the 20mph winds die down.

Oh and the o-rings for the prop saver is relatively easy to get on. I used a pair of needle nose pliers. Takes about 30 seconds. It is a little tight in there and I can see why a few people would get aggravated.

Anyone got any links to some LITE pilot busts for these things? I would like to put one in the cockpit with a little silk scarf.
The pilot "fighter" and "langley" both work, weighs under 3 grams
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/pilots.htm
JimH is offline Find More Posts by JimH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2008, 09:24 AM
Illinois
Joined Mar 2004
360 Posts
Started building and found some flaws.
Instruction book has some pages doube printed
Wheel collars won't fit gear-had to drill out.
Pushrods are too high in servo compartment(using 2 HS 55 servos) makes for some binding as pushrods bend down to meet servo connectors.
Lower wing saddle too small had to remove 1/8" at rear to get wing to fit.
I wonder what else I will find??
Added some detail:
Scale exhaust pipes that run down fuse,windscreen,pilot, radiator cap,headrest,painted the cockpit tan.
I might add a Vickers machine gun on the fuse?
I did e-mail E-Flite with these issues-no response yet.
They need to come out with an Albatross(not a D-7)to compliment this plane.Would be nice to have the lozenge camo on it.
Sinbad
sinbad is offline Find More Posts by sinbad
Old Jan 03, 2008, 09:40 AM
Illinois
Joined Mar 2004
360 Posts
Forgot to mention I'm using a Emax CF2805 motor(red color),fits perfectly on the box mount with the mounting ring that comes with it. I added a little right thrust. Use a prop hub adapter(none of the O ring issues like the 250 motor)I'm going to try a 6.5-5 prop first.

BTW for those using the 250 motor a simple way of getting "O" ring on.
Get a piece of brass tubing that will slide over the hub screws, Put tubing over the screw head and slide the O ring onto the screw,pull O ring over to other screw head(using the brass tube) ,put brass tube on screw head and slide O ring down on to the screw. Presto easy !!
Sinbad
sinbad is offline Find More Posts by sinbad
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:15 AM
Omaha, Nebraska
Joined Sep 2007
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeardrc
A moment of silence for PfalzPflyer's upper wing...

Severed in half buy the prop of the other plane during a mid air at 'The Center' this afternoon.

Knowing Dean, he'll have it back together and looking even better than before.

I will say this, these SE5's sure fly nice!

Wait... It wasn't PfalzPflyer's upper wing... The SE5a in the mid-air belonged to the "other" Dean C. who had put it in the air for the first time that day.... Dean's plane flew great as Redbeard says. And it accomplished a nice tight loop during the flight before the deadly impact that resulted in the top wing being sliced twice by the other plane's prop. Sadly, I videoed the flight and caught the mid-air. Not for the quezy, but it can be seen on Google Video: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...32491586&hl=en

My reaction to the mid-air is that we had many airplanes in the air at one time. The pattern is counter-clockwise inside the three soccer field size Center. We had a few who were "fighting traffic" going every which way and making it difficult for us all. Further, our SE5a's are not that easy to see with the olive-green paint. Need to keep them close to you to have good visual. Dean had good control of his, and he's one of the best flyers.

My SE5a was also maidened at the Center yesterday. Flies great on an E-Flite 300 swinging an 8 X 3.8 prop which powered it around nicely at 40 percent throttle. Weighs in at 9.0 oz. with everything including the scale add-ons such as landing gear struts and additional paint. Rudder throw is less than what the instructions suggest, but for indoor flying there is plenty of authority. Same with the elevator. Compared to my GWS Tiger Moth, this one slows down nicely in the air. Little more manuverable than the TM. I like the SE5a a lot!
J3flyah is offline Find More Posts by J3flyah
Old Jan 03, 2008, 02:31 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
What a cool little bird, totally missed this one coming out. Looks like its quite well made from the hobby store pics.

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old Jan 03, 2008, 05:26 PM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by floss
What a cool little bird, totally missed this one coming out. Looks like its quite well made from the hobby store pics.

Steve
It is very well made. You can grab the fuse and squeeze it pretty hard and it won't break. Looks very scale in the air. Nice flying plane. Plenty of power with stock setup to do loops from level flight.
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Jan 03, 2008, 06:37 PM
Rather be Hover'n
Omaha, NE
Joined Jul 2004
89 Posts
Sorry about that Dean.... I got the wrong Dean.... Dean

Wait a second now.... which one am I appologizing to???

I'm so confused...
Redbeardrc is offline Find More Posts by Redbeardrc
Old Jan 03, 2008, 07:57 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
My GP 2s 640s showed up today, $43 shipped from Tower.
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Old Jan 03, 2008, 09:25 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,377 Posts
$43 for a 640ma 2 cell pack? Look a Commonsenserc--I am using 500 and 800 in my Jenny for a lot less money (10C and 15C I think)
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Jan 03, 2008, 09:33 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
First thing that bugged me about the kit was the crappy plastic wheels. They didn't look bad but know they would split on first hard landing and also the plastic tires looked awful! Sooooo.... I cut off the wheel rims, got a pair of 2-1/2" MPI lite weight wheels and painted 1/4" of the outside rims with paint I mixed from flat black and flat dark green Testors and assembled the wheels on the axle using thin CA and kicker to attach to the MPI's. Not perfect but they do look like used wheels and IMHO 200% better than what was furnished!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:39 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Whoops the $43 was for 2 packs, forgot to type one 2.
Those do look good boomer, I will likely replace mine soon too. Just haven't decided with what yet. I have some WW I wheels from a rubber power kit that aren't much heavier but are alot stronger.
Old Jan 04, 2008, 01:32 PM
Omaha, Nebraska USA
Joined Dec 2003
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeardrc
Sorry about that Dean.... I got the wrong Dean.... Dean

Wait a second now.... which one am I appologizing to???

I'm so confused...
No problem, Redbeardrc. There are so many "Dean"s in the Omaha R/C community, it gets confusing, even for us!

I've been informed that Mr. Copeland will have his bird repaired soon, and that we can expect nearly a half-dozen at the next indoor flying session on the 9th. Mine will be ready to maiden.

Dean (the other one) in Omaha
PfalzPflyer is offline Find More Posts by PfalzPflyer
Last edited by PfalzPflyer; Jan 04, 2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2008, 10:01 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Dean do you make the Sunday indoor sessions in Millard Larry told me about the other day?
Old Jan 04, 2008, 10:31 PM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
First thing that bugged me about the kit was the crappy plastic wheels. They didn't look bad but know they would split on first hard landing and also the plastic tires looked awful! Sooooo.... I cut off the wheel rims, got a pair of 2-1/2" MPI lite weight wheels and painted 1/4" of the outside rims with paint I mixed from flat black and flat dark green Testors and assembled the wheels on the axle using thin CA and kicker to attach to the MPI's. Not perfect but they do look like used wheels and IMHO 200% better than what was furnished!
boomer
Hehe. What hard landing? Mine floats down like a feather stock and I'm using a 730-900mah battery. Don't think they are ever gonna crack. But that's just my opinion.

The only thing I saw wrong with "my" kit was the rudder would rub against the elevator when you gave it the recommended throws. It only did it on right rudder. This would cause the elevator to bind if full rudder input was used.

This is probably because the rudder is bowing a little to the right. Because it has no support(hinge) at the bottom and that's where the pushrod was attached. Causing it to bow a little in that direction. Easily fixed several different ways.

Joe
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Jan 05, 2008, 12:41 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milandrah
Hehe. What hard landing? Mine floats down like a feather stock and I'm using a 730-900mah battery. Don't think they are ever gonna crack. But that's just my opinion.

Joe
Well that was a good excuse to redesign them anyway. Plastic tires just bugs me!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace