HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2007, 08:00 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Thank you for the kind comments John.
I figured the reasons the way it is done is for price, which I would say again is very good. I can fantasize about cream colored foam though right, lol. Overall I am very pleased with it, good job! And again IMHO a very nice model for the money. Still a good looking plane right out of the box, I had to mess with it some though being primarily a scale builder. I was quite fond of the GWS moth this one replaces, I am so far very happy with it.
I actually planned on using a 2s pack in the plane (the Ele would need a 7x4 with 3s), I was checking cell size with my 3s pack, 640 mah fits fine.
I actually put the parts back in the plastic and packed it back in the box after the last picture. I'll wait til I get my ESC before I assemble the plane. Build it by the instructions, might be fun for once, lol. Seriously, the construction order makes too much sense for ease of building to not follow. Nice job on the manual too!
Thanks for chiming in John, it's nice to know that the manufacturer takes an interest in what we do with & think of the finished product. I would like to see more WW I parkflyers from Eflite, I would buy them.
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2007, 01:27 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,464 Posts
Maidened mine today, no wind. Takeoff was fine, I'm running a park 250 with 7x4 gws prop. loops were nice and tight, pitch was a bit sensitive, so I toned down the throw. Needed all the rudder I could get. It seems a bit sluggish to recover from turns, needs opposite rudder to level out, from a right bank that was more than 45 degrees from level, it needed full left rudder,(about 1.25 inches throw) and a second or two to level back out or it would just stay in a kind of side slip, I'm wondering if the rudder is getting blanked by the wide flat fuse? It is odd because recovery should be in the direction of the torque, left bank recover was fine. landings were nice and slow, and controlable with throttle for gentle touchdown, however I noticed the landing gear had a tendency to creep into the fuse and eventually contact the control rods, so I wrapped some hinge tape around the ply former and the gear to keep it from pushing in further. I used 4 gram servos, a 4 gram receiver, and a 4 gram speed control, all up just behind the firewall, but I still needed 1/2 ounce of weight AND an eflite 800mah battery to get the CG as spec. So my AUW is 9 oz. I used UHU to attach the horiz stab, and just a bit of epoxy on the vertical stab so I don't think I added much weight there. It flew fine, maybe I need an 8x3.8 as the 7x4 required about half throttle to stay at level flight. I have a sig jenny that I reinforced the wings, and put a park 250 on it(so very similar to an eflite jenny) and has about the same wing, tail and AUW, it flies a bit better to me, we'll see if an 8x3.8 helps a bit.

Plane looks good in the air.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Redman
Very nicely done on the paint job!!!!! The foam only comes in white, and to paint the extra would ahve raised the price a bit. Was trying to keep it down if you know what I mean.

Use a 2S system for this bird. It has plenty of power with the stated power plant and a 2S battery. Keep it light and enjoy it flying at under 8 oucnes. Let me know what you guys think of the flight qualities, I personally love this one!!

John
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pictures from KSC
Old Dec 24, 2007, 03:47 PM
Rather be Hover'n
Omaha, NE
Joined Jul 2004
89 Posts
Well it happened.. yet again..

I walked into the LHS to get a spare prop for a plane I'm modifying and there it was....

all by itself, looking lost and forgotten..... Must not be drawn to the dark side..... Budget..... Budget.....

Well it was just to much for my kind heart and I had to rescue it from it's dreary solitude.

And then reality hit as I'm checking out. The store clerk comments to the other clerk.... "Well then, they didn't last very long!"

Now the humble owner of the last S.E.5a in the store.
Redbeardrc is offline Find More Posts by Redbeardrc
Old Dec 24, 2007, 06:11 PM
Plastic Buddha
Joined Oct 2005
2,619 Posts
aftica is offline Find More Posts by aftica
Last edited by aftica; Sep 23, 2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 06:24 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeardrc
Now the humble owner of the last S.E.5a in the store.
LOL! La Vista?
Old Dec 24, 2007, 07:18 PM
Rather be Hover'n
Omaha, NE
Joined Jul 2004
89 Posts
Yup, La Vista.
Redbeardrc is offline Find More Posts by Redbeardrc
Old Dec 24, 2007, 08:42 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Kinda figured, when I walked in there Saturday there were 2 left, lol. I almost had the same problem with the Eflite Taylorcraft there, that is a WAY TOO pretty of a plane!
Last edited by Greg D; Dec 25, 2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 10:04 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,727 Posts
My GWS pico moth is the same way. Hard to teach my 9 year old son to fly it. Not sure if I have the COG a little off, or if this is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
Needed all the rudder I could get. It seems a bit sluggish to recover from turns, needs opposite rudder to level out, from a right bank that was more than 45 degrees from level, it needed full left rudder,(about 1.25 inches throw) and a second or two to level back out or it would just stay in a kind of side slip,
Frank
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Dec 25, 2007, 12:24 AM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
My moth tended to be this way when it was nose heavy. It would still hold altitude under power but with the CG right it would climb at the same amount of throttle.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 08:08 AM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Well if you can believe it, neither of the two LHS's had it. Hobbytown, and RChobbies. I asked about it, and in both shops when I asked about it they had no idea what I was talking about.

And yes both are licensed Horizon merchants.........amazing.

Ahhh, well I got planes to fly but not the weather to fly so not a biggie. I can wait, that's something im good at. Patience is a virtue.

And besides, hehe.........you guys get to be the ones to hammer out all the problems and then I wont have to.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Dec 25, 2007, 01:06 PM
Omaha, Nebraska USA
Joined Dec 2003
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeardrc
Looks Great! Will I see it flying Wednesday?

-Dave
As quickly as these sold out at the Lavista HobbytownUSA, I have a feeling we will be seeing a LOT of these on Wednesdays at The Center.

I'm getting ready to start mine tonight. I'm going with Geoffrey "Beery" Bowman's markings. He was "C" Flight leader with 56 Sqdn during the famous dogfight with Werner Voss. Lucky for me, his plane also carried the identification letter "M", so I won't have to change that. Just change the squadron markings, serial number, etc.
The neat little irony is that the plane in question, serial # "B2", was finally crashed on Christmas Day, 1917 - exactly 90 years ago today. The pilot who crashed it while Bowman was on leave was a certain Captain Jarvis - whose markings are on my 1/5-scale Dynaflite SE5a!

Merry Christmas to all!
Dean in Omaha
PfalzPflyer is offline Find More Posts by PfalzPflyer
Old Dec 25, 2007, 01:15 PM
Omaha, Nebraska USA
Joined Dec 2003
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
Needed all the rudder I could get. It seems a bit sluggish to recover from turns, needs opposite rudder to level out, from a right bank that was more than 45 degrees from level, it needed full left rudder,(about 1.25 inches throw) and a second or two to level back out or it would just stay in a kind of side slip, I'm wondering if the rudder is getting blanked by the wide flat fuse? It is odd because recovery should be in the direction of the torque, left bank recover was fine.
It flew fine, maybe I need an 8x3.8 as the 7x4 required about half throttle to stay at level flight.

Frank
Try checking for a warp in the wings (easily corrected with the rigging), and rig in more dihedral. It makes a big difference in these 3-channel jobs.

I think you are right about the bigger prop. Draggy biplanes like big props.

Best regards,
Dean in Omaha
Old Dec 25, 2007, 01:23 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
I'd like to see some pics when you are done painting Dean.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 02:52 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,464 Posts
It doesn't look like there is any wing warp, and my rudder trim is pretty neutral.

I did two more flights today, took out the 1/2 ounce of nose weight, and switched to a gws 8x4 prop, was much better, and still will not really do a true spin, my CG is about 3/16" behind where the spec says it should be, still a bit sluggish recovering from a right hand bank, I found if I give it a bit of throttle as I give it left it recovered faster, which I think leads me to believe it just needs a bit more air over the rudder to get it to recover from a right hand bank, no problems on the left hand bank recovery, almost a hands off wheels landing now, much more fun. I realize at full throttle it exceeds the motor spec, but I only went to 60% throttle twice, and most level flight and loops were at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, no need to go to full. My addition of the tape and bamboo skewers instead of the flying wires is working perfect and no signs of any stress, I can pick up the wing by the top wing tips and they don't bend more than 1/4". 9 minutes easily on the 800mah, haven't recharged it to see how much I used.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfalzPflyer
Try checking for a warp in the wings (easily corrected with the rigging), and rig in more dihedral. It makes a big difference in these 3-channel jobs.

I think you are right about the bigger prop. Draggy biplanes like big props.

Best regards,
Dean in Omaha
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pictures from KSC
Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:22 PM
Omaha, Nebraska USA
Joined Dec 2003
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg D
I'd like to see some pics when you are done painting Dean.
Well, don't expect too much. I've made a promise to myself not to go overboard with the detailing, especially stuff that adds weight. I want to retain the "light and floaty" flight characteristics that attracted me to the plane in the first place, since I'm hoping it will be my main indoor flyer when I retire my 4-year-old GWS Tiger Moth.

You might have to come to an indoor flying session to see it, though. My digital camera and I aren't on speaking terms at present. Funny how I have no trouble programming Expo, End Points, Sub-Trims, etc. on a computer radio, yet can't figure out the (badly translated) instructions on the camera.
Maybe it's a "motivation" thing?

Merry Christmas,
Dean in Omaha