HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:33 AM
Omaha, Nebraska USA
Joined Dec 2003
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg D
If the LHS has it yet I may pick mine up this weekend. I'll still need an ESC and a battery pack for it (have RX & servos) unless I can prop it to use the 640 mah 3s I have laying around & it will fit in the plane.
Greg,

Yes the LHS (you know the ones I'm talking about) have it, and they're asking the same price as the online guys. Even with tax, you're still ahead.

This thing would be a rocket with a 3-cell. While the extra power would certainly help with wind penetration for outdoor flying, I think "keep it light" is the mantra here, just like with the GWS Tiger Moth. This one really seems geared towards indoor flying, and for those early mornings and calm evenings when the winds are in the single digits.

For outdoor flying in Nebraska, I think the Great Planes electric SE5a would be a better choice. I've seen one fly in the wind, and it penetrated well. (For those of you who aren't from around here, the name "Nebraska" comes from the Sioux words "neb" (wind), and "raska" (never stops!)... Ok, I made that up... but that's what it should mean!)

Dean in Omaha
PfalzPflyer is offline Find More Posts by PfalzPflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:58 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg D
If the LHS has it yet I may pick mine up this weekend. I'll still need an ESC and a battery pack for it (have RX & servos) unless I can prop it to use the 640 mah 3s I have laying around & it will fit in the plane.
You can't use a 3S with the Park 250 as you will burn it up unless you go to so small a prop it wouldn't be effective. The extra weight of a 3 cell is not a good idea either! Go with the 250 , a 2S lipo and a GWS 7 X 3.5 HD Prop and you will be very happy with the performance! The thin wings even with the flying wires and reinforcing will not stand much overpowering!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Dec 22, 2007, 11:59 AM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Yeah, dont try using a 3S in this thing, it'd be a waste, and make her too heavy and the higher wingloading would make it a dog, and burn up your motor.
Just build and power it as the manual says and it'll be fine, better than fine actually and belive me, the lighter the better.

No, more power really wont improve wind penetration as this plane has undercambered wings, and it's very light wieght and as such should be flown only in very light breezes at the most.(0-5mph) Flying it in 7-15mph would be an exercise in frustration and not much fun really. Might as well fly a kite, cause that's what it will be.

So it's availible eh? Well, im off to the hobby shop to see if they have it yet, and I have to pick up a couple plastic kits for my cousins kids.
I need something to do anyway, no flying up here in the northwest for a while as it's nothin but rain and wind.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Last edited by SabreHawk; Dec 22, 2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:06 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Dean, I was gonna pick up the GP SE5a too awhile back but then I picked the FSM issue with Peter's SE5a in it and will build it for a larger version. First I will build the MS A1 though, it's available now from Charlie. I'm going over to La Vista today to go to Lowes, might as well stop a the LHS while I'm there only a mile away, they didn't have it yet last time I was there about 2 weeks ago.
Boomer, my ele C-20 will take 3S, either way if the 3s won't fit without too much work I'll pick up a 2s for it. If I'm lucky they'll have a 6 amp ESC, & a GWS type prop adaptor in stock.
I'll take some pics to post while I assemble mine for those who haven't gotten/seen one yet.
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Last edited by Greg D; Dec 22, 2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 12:19 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,451 Posts
Picked mine up on a whim the other day, lhs had it for $44.95. I wasn't going to initially build it, but when my Estes SR-71 conversion didn't go as well as planned I put the electronics into the SE-5. Build went well, the elevator and rudder cutouts for the control horns aren't big enough, needed cutting. Also, the fuse is in the way of the rudder control horn, so you have to cut a slot for that, instructions don't cover that. I reinforced the wing underside with hinge tape, and I taped a bamboo skewer about 18" long, near the leading edge of each wing and did not do the flying wires. You can pick up the top wing by the edge and lift the plane and the wings won't bend more than 1/4". This has worked well in my Jenny that runs a park 300 with 3s, that I have fitted with GWS floats and is AUW of 13 oz rtf and the wings have held through loops and snaps with the floats on, works great.

Anyway, rest of the build went well, although even with everything forward to the front, I still needed 1/2 ounce of nose weight and with an eflite 430 2s pack, still was a little tail heavy, the 800 pack was almost right with the nose weight. Problem was I was using the e-flite park 180 that I had in the SR-71, it would barely get it off the ground with a 7x4 or 6x4, just not quite enough poop. So I'll have to go with the park 250 or so. AUW with the 480 pack, 4 gm servos and spektrum 6100, and park 180 was 8 oz with the nose weight, 6.5oz empty without nose weight. Based on the takeoff at slow speed and the down trim required, I think the CG is not conservative. Plane looks great.

Anybody need a park 180 and CC tbird 6, I'll make you a deal??

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pershing 1A foam rocket
Old Dec 22, 2007, 04:19 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Just got home with mine, ordered my ESC. My Ele C-20 has a prop adaptor that fits APC Slo Fly props so I picked up a couple 8x3.8s for it. Now before I start building, a little "personalization" is in order.
Last edited by Greg D; Dec 22, 2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 03:45 AM
France
Joined Nov 2006
75 Posts
Was anybody abble to spot it on ebay ?
The only one I have found is from a shop called "Hobby-Sports" and they are asking 60$ for the shipping cost to France... :-(
It's a bit of a pain to pay more for shipping than the value of the plane itself ;-)

Dom
ULTIMA RATIO is offline Find More Posts by ULTIMA RATIO
Old Dec 23, 2007, 03:52 AM
France
Joined Nov 2006
75 Posts
This is probably old news or most of you, but there is another nice trailer on Utube with lots of nice SE5a view...
It's a short clip from Peter Jackson to promote a new digital camera I belive:

Crossing The Line - Full Length Trailer (2 min 33 sec)

Rumors is it could become a full movie (?)

The Red Baron trailer has also been updated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIcgf...eature=related

Dom
ULTIMA RATIO is offline Find More Posts by ULTIMA RATIO
Old Dec 23, 2007, 11:13 AM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Took some pics of the kit contents, I'll post them later. I wanted to make a few observations first though; pros definitely outweigh the cons though.
Pros:
Price, you get a real nice plane for the money!
Nicely packaged, like the bubble wrap around the fuse.
The struts are very nicely done & simple.
Thank you Eflite for making the axle long enough for some proper wheel collars!
Fuse construction is great & interesting, very light, like the ply frame work in the nose.
Decals are applied nicely, sorta wish in a way that you applied them yourself just so they weren't all the same.
I like that is was painted after the hinge tape was put on.
Pretty nice hardware, EZ connectors are included, nice touch.
Cons:
Making the wings & horizontal stab from cream colored foam would've been nice but they weren't that hard to paint (I just couldn't take the white, lol).
The dummy engine plates are interesting, represent the 3/4 size homebuilt SE5a that uses a VW engine for power. I kinda wish they were not pre attached so I could've made my own though.
Would've liked to have seen a gun on the fuse.
No exhaust pipes, that's OK I have straws.
Last edited by Greg D; Dec 23, 2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 04:08 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
OK here is the carton contents for those who want to see them.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 04:15 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
After a little paint. I know this doesn't qualify as a real scale color scheme, just wanted to give it a little "more" without a total repaint. I used Tamiya paints, Dk Green for the edges of the wings (tedious, lol), not an exact match but looks pretty good just on the edge, and Desert Yellow thinned for the bottom. Bottom was done with a 1/2" soft brush, 3 light smooth coats perpendicular to each other, coverage is pretty good. Tires were painted with Testors "Rubber" outside of the wheels were painted Sky Blue to match the nose.
Last edited by Greg D; Dec 24, 2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 04:23 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
My power system minus the Feagio 6 amp ESC that I ordered yesterday. The Ele C-20 won't fit into the CF tube like the Eflite 250. I just cut a 1/8 ply disk with a 5/16 hole in the center and used medium CA to glue it to the tube. Then just mounted the Ele radial mount to the ply. Sorry bout the pics but I think you get the idea.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 04:49 PM
Rather be Hover'n
Omaha, NE
Joined Jul 2004
89 Posts
Looks Great! Will I see it flying Wednesday?

-Dave
Redbeardrc is offline Find More Posts by Redbeardrc
Old Dec 23, 2007, 05:40 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Thanks
I work Wednesdays so I don't get to "the center". I mostly bought this to fly here close to home, there is a ball field and a football field sized park within a block of my house. I don't think with the holiday shipping rush I'll get my ESC before Friday anyway. I did ask work about maybe getting Wednesdays off instead of Tuesdays, we'll see what happens but it wouldn't be till after the 1st if it does.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 07:15 PM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
Very nicely done on the paint job!!!!! The foam only comes in white, and to paint the extra would ahve raised the price a bit. Was trying to keep it down if you know what I mean.

Use a 2S system for this bird. It has plenty of power with the stated power plant and a 2S battery. Keep it light and enjoy it flying at under 8 oucnes. Let me know what you guys think of the flight qualities, I personally love this one!!

John
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman