Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:53 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
658 Posts
So am I too late? I have one coming and this thread is dead. Any new ideas in the last year!
dbdukeboy is online now Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:50 PM
The Flying Kiwi
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2006
178 Posts
Not entirely dead. I'm still watching, and I still have to get mine into the air.
velojet is offline Find More Posts by velojet
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:32 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
658 Posts
Does anyone have in tried and true data on cheaper motors for this plane. I have a few builds this winter so I need to try and keep cost down on them. Servos as well. Thanks
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:14 PM
The Flying Kiwi
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2006
178 Posts
I fitted a Turborix D2211-2300 - $12.95 + p&p from Hong Kong. HobyyKing will have similar.
velojet is offline Find More Posts by velojet
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:56 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,067 Posts
Park 250 Brushless Outrunner Motor 2200Kvby E-flite
$31.99
And is available in 2-3 days delivered and questions answered if needed by people in Illinois in the USA.
I have these motors in my 3 EFlite 250 size slow flyers , and have flown them for several years now .
wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:01 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
658 Posts
Well I was finally able to pull it out of the box today, it looks good but I need to do some detail painting on it to really make it look nice. I also have some wood coffee stirrers I'm going to try and make some kind of strut covers with. I think I will just go with the eflite recommended 250 motor. I have some 1000 mah batteries I hope I can use. Merry Christmas all!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:11 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy View Post
Well I was finally able to pull it out of the box today, it looks good but I need to do some detail painting on it to really make it look nice. I also have some wood coffee stirrers I'm going to try and make some kind of strut covers with. I think I will just go with the eflite recommended 250 motor. I have some 1000 mah batteries I hope I can use. Merry Christmas all!
Good luck DB,
Don't have the SE5 but I have a Tiger moth from HK that I like. But I had to add a lot of ballast to the nose to get a CG that works.
These old biplanes by their very nature were rather nose heavy so I followed suit. The Tiger Moth flew much better after that.
Remember, it doesn't handle like your Gamma!

-ChinoD.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Dec 26, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:20 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
658 Posts
So I went with the eflite park 250 for the motor and I have some eflite 7.6 gram servos I'm hoping to use. Does anyone think that these will be a problem with the little bit of extra weight. I also want to upgrade the string I use for the wings. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be the best string to use? Thanks for any input.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:49 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,067 Posts
Best string [flying wires] I do not know , I just used some thread from the wifes sewing goodies box , it worked fine for me . I think your servos will be fine . I use my old Blade CX2 800mah batterys for flying my SE5a . And I used a balsa stick across the fuselage near the bottom for help holding the battery because I shift it backwards and forwards to achive CofG , and change the planes flying by shifting the battery . Like shifting the battery more towards the front for wind conditions , and back if there is zero wind .
Its a great flyer , and I still wonder about ailerons on it and how that would be
wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:41 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,178 Posts
I put up a half-dozen flights on my SE5 a couple weeks ago. Nice airplane.

Even though I had the recommended Park 250 motor, I didn't like the tube mount. If there were to be a problem with the motor, removing it would be a serious challenge. Instead I used an ELE C20 motor from BP Hobbies. It fits on the firewall and is secured with four screws, so it can be removed with little trouble. Also, it makes it easier to make thrust adjustments by putting a washer under one or two of the motor mounting lugs. I used a 3MM prop adapter and hung an APC 8X4 electric prop. (The recommended 7X4 for the Park 250 was too small to suit me.)

Power is a 2S Rhino 460 pack. Flight time is about 9 minutes.

I made a set of wheels from skinny plastic wheels for a Pico Moth, with card stock disks painted red and glued to the sides. They look good from a distance Haven't landed on a hard surface, so I don't know how durable the wheels are. One day I'll add wood struts to the landing gear wires and axle.

Weight is about 9 oz.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:13 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
658 Posts
So it says I need to use rtv silicone for the motor mount. Has anyone used something else? I have so many different adhesives except that one. I hate to spend $6 on something I will probably only use once, not to mention finding it. Any input would be appreciated.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:29 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,415 Posts
I used the box tube mount with the pinch screw at the bearing tube end. The only mods needed was to file the bulkhead to accept the square tube instead of round, and I added a small hole on the side of the cowl so that I can insert a screwdriver to release the motor if needed.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ck-with/Detail
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320
Last edited by Joe 1320; Feb 01, 2013 at 08:34 PM.