HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2010, 10:58 AM
Planes, Guitars and Cigars
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
I'm just starting my build. For me the first step is doing a read through of the instruction. We'll wouldn't you know my instruction booklet is messed up. Missing about 8 pages. They are replaced with duplicate pages from other sections of the manual. Not a promissing start.

Anyone else get a faulty manual?
Steve_A_Reno is offline Find More Posts by Steve_A_Reno
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2010, 11:13 AM
Build 'em break 'em fix 'em
Joined Oct 2009
439 Posts
More mods and repairs

More mods and repairs.

Before (AND after) my second flight yesterday, it became painfully obvious that more mods were needed.

1) The carbon tube mount was NOT working.
2) The crease in the lower wing was not helping the wing shape
3) The wire landing gear didn't do it for me

I saw a suggestion on this forum for stir sticks for landing gear fairings, so I picked 'em up at Starbucks and hot-glued them on the landing gear. Painted 'em up, they look great. Solved THAT problem.

The crease in the lower wing was getting worse, and was causing too much flex. I didn't want to go with the CF strip, so I rigged up some lines to pull up the sag and did it on both sides to make it even. I attached the wires (carpet thread) from the low wing to the cabanes; it looks like it is supposed to be there. I used some light, clear sheets of plastic (the plastic bakery box that held my wifes' bite-sized Danish worked great) to fortify the lower wing area, taped on with packing tape, and used plastic grommets to minimize the chance of the wires pulling through. Worked like a champ, maybe added 8 grams. I can live with that.

The motor problem was not so easy, but the answer was obvious. Even the E-Flite 250 I started with had the problem. The darn thing just wouldn't stay put. It loosened its anchor in the tube, and then the front of the motor would rub on the cowling, causing heat and eventually shutting down the motor. You could see the way the ESC wires wrapped around the CF tube mount.

I didn't like this type of mount from day one, I should have listened to my initial thoughts.

I tried the same mount the second time (silly me) since the new HXM 2200 Hextronics motor fit nicely into the tube, but THIS time, I used 6 minute epoxy. THAT wouldn't come loose right? Wrong. It did. Same symptoms, same result. So.....I went to plan B. I removed the CF tube (major pain, try NOT to breathe the fibers and dust; very bad juju! )

I evened up the motor mount backing, then screwed and fastened the new mount down. Just a slight (R) thrust added, and then got the motor in place. Looks good, hope it holds. I also went back to the initial prop. It looks so good, painted up nice and wooden colored, so we'll see how it handles.

So, more mods more weight I guess. I will see how much the AUW is, and will take new pics.

PS: Just got back from flying, she did great! New mount went well, but unfortunately she folded the top wing this time. Argh! She looked like a wounded bird. I could barely got her down. I had to break down and install the CF strip. It was pretty easy to unscrew the wing, tape on the strip, reinforce it a bit, then screw the wing back on.

These things will NOT handle anything more than gentle loops or wing-overs;I probably added at least another 12-14 grams of weight. Argh! More weight more speed!

This has been a real fun project, I am seriously thinking about the Fokker and the Nieuport now.

My Flights with My SE5A (6 min 45 sec)
chinaclipper63 is offline Find More Posts by chinaclipper63
Last edited by chinaclipper63; May 21, 2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Added YouTube Video
Old May 18, 2010, 11:20 PM
Joined Oct 2009
439 Posts
Look at the online manual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_A_Reno View Post
I'm just starting my build. For me the first step is doing a read through of the instruction. We'll wouldn't you know my instruction booklet is messed up. Missing about 8 pages. They are replaced with duplicate pages from other sections of the manual. Not a promissing start.

Anyone else get a faulty manual?
It is great!
Old May 21, 2010, 10:37 AM
Joined Oct 2009
439 Posts
As if anyone is interested...

I added a video. Had more fun making the video than flying... Well, almost!
I indoor fly in the Hawks Championship Pavilion. Very Nice!
Old Jun 10, 2010, 11:49 AM
Joined Oct 2009
439 Posts
Since I am the only one left around here...

..I'll continue. I'm not proud

Took the bird out outside again. This time I tried a 3s battery, what is that? 11.1v or something?

Well, she REALLY took off. I was using the hexTronik 20gram Brushless Outrunner 2300kv, and really never tried the 3s battery with it until yesterday. It made a huge difference.

The weather was very light, just a little wind. Great flying wx for this plane. She still is more like a kite than a plane in anything more than a few MPH breeze;but it was really fun soaring and shutting down, just "sky-surfing" and floating. Had some great touch and goes, and some good "fly-bye's" too.

I have repaired this plane more times than I care to mention, and am learning a lot;OK, I'll mention it.

1) Fixed landing gear/wheels x3
2) Repaired tail/empennage x4
3) Redid rigging x 3
4) Redid firewall x2
5) Built up nose x3
6) Strengthened wings (both) x3
7) Redid motor mount x2
8) Repaired serious bilateral fuselage crack (almost in half)

etc etc..
And she still flies pretty well! it isn't "8-9oz AUW" of course, but it still takes to the air when I push the throttle forward.

Thanks for reading
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:29 PM
The Flying Kiwi
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2006
178 Posts
Not the only one left around here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaclipper63 View Post
Thanks for reading
My pleasure, chinaclipper! And I mean that most sincerely. I've still to finish my SE5 (life has interrupted), and in the meantime, I'm getting a lot of vicarious enjoyment from reading of your experiences. Keep them coming!

John V
velojet is offline Find More Posts by velojet
Old Jun 11, 2010, 06:02 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Hello friends,

Here is my SE5-a, but mine was made from scratchbuild using tony65xtony65 plans! The last update was the foam carved pilot I made..

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...649178&page=71

SE5-A (1 min 53 sec)
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:40 AM
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Finally had time to biold the se5a today. Nearly complete - just need to get the battery in place and do the rigging.

Here's some issues I had.

Instructions manual missing pages - go them online

Instructions a bit inacurate - Says to follow same steps for bottom wing to put on top wing - How can attaching the wing to the cabanes be the same as attaching to the lower to the fuse - it wasn't

4 Screws missing from kit

No wheel hubs in Kit.

Slots for control horns half the size of the horns mounts. Needed to cut them down a bit

Instructions for rigging are not helpful.

Landing gear wires would not fit in slots. This was the most frustrating part. I cut, widened, sanded, lubricated, I tried everything. Can only put so much force on the thin fuse. Finally got the front in snug but the back is a 1/4 in shy and it will go no further. - Any ideas?

Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:08 PM
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Okay got the rigging. Was missing pages there as well and didn't realize.
Not sure why but after sitting overe night the landing gear went in snug - Maybe the humidity IDK.

I'm using an 24 gram blue wonder motor and an 2s 800mah batery.
Looks like my CG is dead on with the battery almost full forword.
Have a few prop choices with this motor. May try a 9 x 4.7 as that is a great combo on my pico tiger moth and this is about the same weight and size.

If the weather holds may try a test flight this evening. Then some more tweaking to make it look more scale. Need to paint the wheels, maybe play with the cockpit and a pilot also cover the metal gear with some wood, foam or pastic straws.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:42 PM
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Maidened last night. AUW came to under 9oz.
First flight was in a slight breeze maybe 3-4 mph wind. Even this little wind had a large affect on the Plane and it was a bit irresponsive to turning that I actually thought the servo was sticking. Next flight was in zero wind and it flew beautiful. No problems a nice smooth flight - though a bit difficult to see in low light due to the dark color scheme. I may brighten the trim on the cowl with some yellow paint to aid in visibility.

My pico TM althout an ounce lighter in the same wind is a much more forgiving flight. Nor sure why.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 05:42 PM
Joined May 2002
3,171 Posts
Added some wood for the landing gear. Not totally scale but looks nicer than the wire. Still need to paint or replace the wheels.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 09:47 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Very nice scale details Steve! Ive also added the landing gears details on mine...

Did your Landing Gear added so much weight?
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:40 PM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,331 Posts
My Chop Chop Se5a

"Chop chop" in the Philippines means cars made from parts (surplus from Japan).

I was able to buy some parts for the Se5a from Atomic on ebay (no longer on ebay).

I was finally able to build it. Wished I'd done it sooner, it's great.

Shipping it in had caused damage to the fuselage and the rudder. Easily repaired, but it has a "pre-owned" look.

I also did not have the struts and they were not available as spares. I finally broke down and ordered a kit and copied the struts from there. I plan to sell the kit on.

Modifications:

Used 2mm cf rod on the wings leading edges. You can bend cf rod to shape by quickly heating it over a candle flame. I traced the dihedral of the wing onto some cardboard and use it as a template for the bends. Both rods weren't exact duplicates of each other, but it worked well enough. Taped on to the leading edges with tape. I will eventually rig it, but for scale looks rather than for structural integrity.

Motor is a Turnigy 2211 2300kv - Similar to the park 250 just way cheaper at about $10. Did not use a CF tube mount having read about all the problems. Just made a square ply pedestal 1/8" thick, which got the motor to the right height for the cowling. Esc is a czech 8A (had it lying around, costs more than the kit when new!) and using a 450mah 2S with GWS 7 x 3.5 prop.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8140

Servos are P&C 9g servos, which are a perfect fit in the servo tray. Used hot melt glue to hold them in. Using the Hobbyking Parkflyer rx with a DX6i.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=12586

Wheels were modified as outlined in previous posts. Used wheels from hobbyking for this and silicone to glue them on. 2mm wheel collars hold them on.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10407

Machine gun is from the Nieuport kit (Machine Gun: Nieuport 17 250 EFL1959)
Doesn't quite fit, so new slot cut for the front tab.

A.U.W. with 450mah2S is 9.2 ozs and CG was in the location specified by the manual (1.75 inches from leading edge of top wing at the cabane struts)

Maiden went well. Light winds, looks wonderful in the air.

Will touch up the fuse repairs with the Tamiya paint everyone is using.
deadduck is offline Find More Posts by deadduck
Last edited by deadduck; Feb 28, 2011 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Spelling / correction info / added AUW and CG
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:49 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,606 Posts
Looks great Duck! These are nice flyers
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:49 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
794 Posts