HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2008, 02:27 PM
Inbox is almost full
Long Island, New York
Joined Nov 2002
1,679 Posts
LESLIEx317537's SE5a

Hi, just found this thread.
I just built my SE5a a week ago and finally got to maiden it in a parking lot rather than my backyard which resulted in a broken motor box mount. It required some down thrust but other than that it flies really nice and slow.
I got it to hover slightly too.
Compared to my other Bi-Plane the GWS Tiger Moth, it was a lot easier to build and looks a lot nicer.

This is what I used in my setup:
Motor: Hextronic 24 gram brushless outrunner 1300kv - http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...2069&cda=32013
ESC: Turnigy Plush 10amp 9 gram speed control - http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...4204&cda=32013
Prop: APC 8x3.8 SF - http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dId=APC08038SF
Servos: E-flite S60 6 gram servo - http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFLRS60
Battery: Zippy 500mAh 3s1p 20C - http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...6791&cda=32013

I used spider wire fishing line to brace the wings instead of the stock thread.
It came to 225 grams ready to fly without the battery. The 500mAh battery I use weighs 50 grams making the plane 275 grams ready to fly with the battery.

It flies pretty fast, but you can slow it down too.

Here are the build pics:
LESLIEx317537 is offline Find More Posts by LESLIEx317537
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2008, 06:54 PM
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
1,866 Posts
Nice looking plane Leslie....I guess I'll go ahead and pick one of these up. I really like the looks of this plane in the air. Got a soft spot for Bipes, and this one looks nice standoff. I've had the GP Jenny, GWS TM, and currently have an Ultrafly Outrage. I just like the look of a bipe on a low and slow flyby

I've got the gear I'll need onhand anyway...so thats as good an excuse as any

Jim
Jim_W is offline Find More Posts by Jim_W
Old May 29, 2008, 11:10 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,924 Posts
First Flight a Big Success!

Well this plane looks and handles great in the air! Very scale like and can fly slow or fast. I wish I had ailerons, but for its size this is a winner!

I flew outside in 5mph wind and it was not too bad. Later flights with no wind were a real treat. I can't wait to fly indoors too.

Things did not get very warm in the cowl, so I will not need any cooling holes on my hatch. The 2S 800mah battery works well and give a solid 10 minutes of flight with lots of aerobatics and high climbs to 100 ft.

I could probably go to an 8" prop on the Park 250. I am only pulling 6.25 amp max at 44 watts with a 7035 prop.

I added some down elevator mix with throttle at 8%, and the rudder trimmed out to be 1/8" to the right. This must be countering the prop torque. I got the rudder to deflect about 1 1/4 with the Tx at 115% throw, so a longer servo arm would have also done the trick.

Loops are no problem and I built mine stock. I made sure there is some tension in the wing "wires" as I glued them. Seems to be no problem so far. I was able to do stall turns and fly inverted a little too!
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old May 30, 2008, 01:38 AM
Inbox is almost full
Long Island, New York
Joined Nov 2002
1,679 Posts
Yea, I had to put some right and down thrust to keep it from looping at full throttle.

I'm going to add a carbon rod to the top front of the wing to give the wing some more strength.
Old May 30, 2008, 12:18 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge
Well this plane looks and handles great in the air! Very scale like and can fly slow or fast. I wish I had ailerons, but for its size this is a winner!

!
See:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=Wild+SE5a
For Flight Video see:
http://rcuvideos.magnify.net/item/GK...#theater_title
Since this was the maiden I didn't want to get too wild until I was sure the wings were going to stay on. Since then I have flown it pretty wild and no problems the ailerons are very effective and the plane is a blast! Cartwheel landing on the rough parking lot did no damage!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Last edited by boomerace; May 30, 2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old May 30, 2008, 01:29 PM
Inbox is almost full
Long Island, New York
Joined Nov 2002
1,679 Posts
Cool video Boomer.
Mine flies fast also if I want, but didn't add ailerons as I wanted to stay simpler and weigh less.

It looks as though it needs a lot of up elevator if you want to keep those rolls level, the wing just isn't designed to be flown upside down.

Did you also add down thrust like I had to?
Old May 30, 2008, 02:29 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LESLIEx317537
Cool video Boomer.
Mine flies fast also if I want, but didn't add ailerons as I wanted to stay simpler and weigh less.

It looks as though it needs a lot of up elevator if you want to keep those rolls level, the wing just isn't designed to be flown upside down.

Did you also add down thrust like I had to?
Down and a little more right was required. And yes using down elevator in the rolls makes them look pretty good. The plane does not like inverted as it takes a bunch of down to keep it from looping out. It will do an outside loop just fine just a little sloppy looking. I have one with same motor and no ailerons and it flys great along with one with the Park 250. Total 3! Great little plane.
boomer
Old Jun 01, 2008, 08:01 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,924 Posts
Motor Mount Problem Solved, Maybe

My motor mount tube was a little big also, and I glued it four times with no luck. Then I realized I was using canopy glue which melted when it got warm. Worked great on the bench, and failed in the air as things warmed up.

Then per this thread, I used 5 min epoxy, and used the "slop" to angle the motor down and to the right. It put a perfect 2 deg down, 2 deg right angle on the motor.

I will report how this flys.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Jun 01, 2008, 10:37 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge
My motor mount tube was a little big also, and I glued it four times with no luck. Then I realized I was using canopy glue which melted when it got warm. Worked great on the bench, and failed in the air as things warmed up.

Then per this thread, I used 5 min epoxy, and used the "slop" to angle the motor down and to the right. It put a perfect 2 deg down, 2 deg right angle on the motor.

I will report how this flys.
Are you adding 2 deg down/right in addition to the angles already built into the plywood motor mount "cage?" Just curiuos as mine needs a fair amount of down elev. trim to maintain level flight. I added a couple more degrees of down to the motor (using the BlueWonder motor with the firewall mount) but it didn't seem to matter much. My c/g is about 1/4" ahead of the recommended spot as well. Wondering if they all need some down elev. trim due to built-in wing/horiz. stab incidence?

What does your elev. look like on all yours Boomer?
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Jun 01, 2008, 12:39 PM
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,130 Posts
TClardige,

You don't have to live with the wrong tube. The ID on mine was too big also. I spoke to Eflite and they sent a replacement. The new one was a very snug fit. After I pushed it with no glue, I was wondering if was going to be able to pull it apart !
Rob_P is offline Find More Posts by Rob_P
Old Jun 01, 2008, 12:45 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70
Are you adding 2 deg down/right in addition to the angles already built into the plywood motor mount "cage?" Just curiuos as mine needs a fair amount of down elev. trim to maintain level flight. I added a couple more degrees of down to the motor (using the BlueWonder motor with the firewall mount) but it didn't seem to matter much. My c/g is about 1/4" ahead of the recommended spot as well. Wondering if they all need some down elev. trim due to built-in wing/horiz. stab incidence?

What does your elev. look like on all yours Boomer?
Here's the pics. They all look the same and haven't required down elevator trim however I have about 5 degrees thrust correction with the Blue Wonder.
boomer
Old Jun 01, 2008, 03:20 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Dec 2004
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
Here's the pics. They all look the same and haven't required down elevator trim however I have about 5 degrees thrust correction with the Blue Wonder.
boomer
Hey Boomer!

I don't mean to change the subject, but does it look like the plastic "motor" covers on the top of the forward fuselage can come off?

If so, does the foam of the fuselage continue to the front of the fuselage and radiator shell?

Dave
curiousD is offline Find More Posts by curiousD
Old Jun 01, 2008, 05:09 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousD
Hey Boomer!

I don't mean to change the subject, but does it look like the plastic "motor" covers on the top of the forward fuselage can come off?

If so, does the foam of the fuselage continue to the front of the fuselage and radiator shell?

Dave
I don't think you could remove them without destroying the foam underneath. I just painted mine flat black to get rid of the shine. Looks 200% better IMHO.
boomer
Old Jun 01, 2008, 07:12 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Dec 2004
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerace
I don't think you could remove them without destroying the foam underneath. I just painted mine flat black to get rid of the shine. Looks 200% better IMHO.
boomer
Thanks Boomer!

I'm just thinking about buying one and fixing it up and detailing it out! It actually looks pretty scale outline wise!

Oh, and I really liked your aileron mod.

Dave
curiousD is offline Find More Posts by curiousD
Old Jun 01, 2008, 07:21 PM
Inbox is almost full
Long Island, New York
Joined Nov 2002
1,679 Posts
I just flew mine in the backyard for 10 mins in circles and my neighbor came out and said it's nice looking and very quiet.
Charging the 500mah 3s battery now to see how much mah I used.
I like the plane because it is so small and simple.